Thread: Minocycline?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Minocycline?

Has anyone ever been treated with minocycline for lupus? I have been on it since June, I had severe rashes. Since being on the medicine (which is an antibiotic usually prescribed for acne), I haven't had any more outbreaks and my rashes have continually faded. I'm not on plaquenil or any other medicine for my symptoms. My dermatologist told me that she had prescribed minocycline for a patient with severe SLE, for a condition unrelated. It made her lupus go into remission, so much so that her rheumy called her and asked what she had prescribed because her SLE was gone! My doctor said she doesn't know why it works, it just does. There are no side effects (for me, anyway), and this antibiotic doesn't build a resistance. I've googled it, there seem to be some circumstances of drug induced lupus from taking this med, but I've also seen websites where lupus patients claim it gave them their lives back!

I'm curious if anyone else has heard of antibiotic treatment or has any experiences they can share?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi dixie,

welcome again,,,,i posted a response in your introduction thread.

hope someone will be able to answer your questions. i know we have several members who struggle with discoid lupus, so maybe they have experience with your med.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Hi again, dixie!
    My doc had me on Mino this spring for lesions I had on my face/arms... didn't do a thing for me.. tried 3 different antibx and no change..
    I really hope it continues to work for you!
    It's pretty amazing how something can work for one person, and not for another... I think that 's why you need to keep hoping and trying..
    God bless,
    Deb

Thanks

Your doctor actually put you on it??? Ugh. Mine made me stop it when I'd been on it for my acne and it was working MIRACLES for my face and she told me people with lupus couldnt take it. I was quite upset. She made me stop before she even diagnosed me. sooo I dont know why she made me stop taking it.

Thanks

I am was actually on it for about a year and it helped a little bit. Maybe the reason it helped was due to the fact that I wasn't getting lung infections because it was an antibiotic. I am actually on another antibiotic all the time now. I have never had any problems with them but they did not throw me into remission, just took a bit of the edge off. Good luck and keep us posted and remember that you never know if something is going to help unless you try it
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram