Thread: New Member, with a question

Thanks

Default New Member, with a question

hi everyone, i'm new to the message board, and have a question for you all. I'm almost 19, and was just diagnosed with lupus. Recently, i have slowly started to lose my hair. nothing really major like coming out in patches or anything, just a whole lot more than normal, and i can notice it feels alot thinner than normal. also, my scalp has become dry and flaky with, well, their not sores, but little red spots. Anyone know of any good shampoo or medication that can get rid of the scalp problem and keep my hair from falling out? i dont want to be 19 and bald! thanks! =)

Thanks

Hi, Eeyore. I am 21 and going through the same thing. I was diagonased two years ago and it happended before. I used a type of peppermint shampoo from Nexus. It leaves a great tingling feeling and starts to work in a week or so. Its tough being so young. I completely understand.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eeyore:
    hi everyone, i'm new to the message board, and have a question for you all. I'm almost 19, and was just diagnosed with lupus. Recently, i have slowly started to lose my hair. nothing really major like coming out in patches or anything, just a whole lot more than normal, and i can notice it feels alot thinner than normal. also, my scalp has become dry and flaky with, well, their not sores, but little red spots. Anyone know of any good shampoo or medication that can get rid of the scalp problem and keep my hair from falling out? i dont want to be 19 and bald! thanks! =) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks

Does this shampoo just help your scalp or did it help with the hair loss also?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NikkilovesTravis:
    Hi, Eeyore. I am 21 and going through the same thing. I was diagonased two years ago and it happended before. I used a type of peppermint shampoo from Nexus. It leaves a great tingling feeling and starts to work in a week or so. Its tough being so young. I completely understand.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks

I am currently on plaquenil. Should this make them better? I didnt have the lesions or hairloss until i started taking it, so i thought it was the medication that caused them. But the plaquenil should help them?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

The hair loss is due to the lesions which are in your scalp. The lesions go very, very deep and, unfortunately, there is not much that can be done about the hair loss. The good thing is that - It will grow back. You need something to heal the lesions, most doctors prescribe some form of anti-malarial, like plaquenil. Once the lesions have healed, the hair will grow back. And, yes, it does grow back a bit thinner and finer. However, after time, that will change and it will get stronger and thicker. But, everthing takes time :-(
    Almost ALL OF US have experienced the hair loss. I know that, at age 19, this is quite devastating. Perhaps a weave (or something like that) might help to fill in the thin spots.
    Talk to your doctor about something to help with the lesions!
    best of luck
    Saysusie

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes, in most cases it does! however, it takes a while to see the benefits of the plaquenil. No, the plaquenil was not the cause of the hair loss - the lesions are. Some people, on this site, have talked about a cream and/or a shampoo that has helped. You might think about using some of them. I developed the disease at an older age when I lost my hair - so I wore a wig for about a year. When my hair grew back, it was like brand new, baby fine hair, so I had to cut it very short until it got it's strength back. But, losing it was hard for me at my age, so I know it is hard for you being so young! My daughter was your age when she was diagnosed. She lost her hair in such a way that she had no bald spots, her hair just got very thin. She also cut her hair very short so that it was not so noticeable!
    I will research some shampoos or creams to see what I can come up with to help you while the plaquenil is taking effect! Try to be patient!
    Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thank you very much. My hair loss right now isnt very noticable, i've got a few really thin spots but they are up under neath so the other hair thats left is covering them. I would greatly appreciate the name of a cream or something that will help my hair loss and help the growth. I've told really no one about my condition, so if one day i appear with a bald spot, i will have alot of explaing to do to alot of people! So i'm really hoping this doesnt happen. But if i keep losing as much as i am when i shower and brush it. i'll be completly bald in a couple weeks! Thanks for your help, i look forward to hearing your results with the creams! thanks a bunch!
    Stephanie