Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lupus or Fibromyalgia?????

Thanks

You are right, the fm pain does stay and most days I am tender in all those special spots they test you at. My Lupus pain will come and go with flares but fm sticks around to keep me company. Cymbalta has been approved for fm. How long have you been taking it??????? I tried it and it was not for me and that is when I started Lyrica and I have seen better results with this one. They take some time to kick in and start working, that is why I asked how long you have been on it. You may want to try some muscle relaxers for the really tough night. I take Tramadol and a muscle relaxer on the really painful nights and this helps me to get a great nights sleep. Sleep is the key for fm and Lupus so make sure you are getting some. I will keep you in my thoughts and hopefully you will see some relief soon! I am sending you lots of hugs
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

Fever and rash can be lupus. I also have many symptoms of FMS, but had a slight positive ANA, high sed rate, high c-reactive protein... it is hard to tell.

Hang in there.

Thanks

Hi everyone...just a note to check in...I havent had a flare since Sept. 1st. I'm not sure if it is the shot my pc gave me, or if I'm just lucky. Saw the rhuemy again last week. He still thinks I have fibro not lupus. He's slowly taking me off my meds...and took more blood work. Just my luck, I havent had a flare for him to see the rash...when you want someone to see it...it never comes...hmm, maybe that's an idea on how to stay flare free. Anyway, I'm still waiting for a diagnosis...he wants me to come back in January. He says that when everyone starts having pain due to the weather.
    46 year old mother of two diagnosed with SLE 2 yrs ago.
    Meds: Plaquinil, azathrioprine, cymbalta, water pill, folic acid, low dose asprin, and a medication to help me sleep.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi mary jane, that is awesome that you have not flared since September. What did your pcp give you a shot of? I hope you continue to enjoy many more months of "no pain"......hooray for you.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Hi Maryjane..
    Sorry for your frustration.. I am sure you are exhausted.. Yeah it would be nice if docs could figure out fibro vs lupus. I was told by one rheumy that I had abnormal labs, but did not have lupus. Then another doc told me that I do have lupus? My hubby jokes and tells me "how do you know you have lupus," The one doc was definative that I did not, although I had a positive skin lupus biopsy. It's much too strange., I guess lupus is just not a clear cut thing. Just watch yourself and note all your symptoms and stay in tuned with your body. Get some rest hun xx

Thanks

Well, I had another flare a week ago...but of course it was on a weekend, and I wasnt able to see the rheumy because it was on the weekend. I need for the rheumy to see my rash/inflamed area for himself. right now I'm only on the placquinil and cymbalta....I've been off the aziathroprine (sp?) for about a month. I just want to know what I have. I've never heard of fibromyalgia causeing a rash and fever....anyone out there ever heard of it? I have an appointment in January with the rheumy.
    46 year old mother of two diagnosed with SLE 2 yrs ago.
    Meds: Plaquinil, azathrioprine, cymbalta, water pill, folic acid, low dose asprin, and a medication to help me sleep.

Thanks

I had symptoms of Lupus for 5 years and was diagnosed Fibro out of lack of knowing what else to tell me..I now have positive blood work and definitely have Lupus..as I am sure I did all along. As my GP says..."treat the patients symtoms..not their test results".
    Andrea

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pandagirl View Post
    As my GP says..."treat the patients symtoms..not their test results".
    Here here! Every rheumy I've visited so far relies only on the lab work. I've sat in rheumy's offices with the bright red rash on my cheeks and it was dismissed. Lots of other kinds of rashes too. Knuckle joints red and swollen. I don't know how many different articles I've read which state that a doctor shouldn't rely on those tests alone and consider the patient's symptoms also.

I've heard of fibro patients running strange fevers, but I've yet to hear about the rashes from anyone. My pcp suspects I have fibro and I do too. But she also suspects lupus also. I break out in strange rashes and have low grade fevers. ((((hugs)))) Mary Jane. I hope you get your answers in January if not sooner.