Thread: Question About NSAID's

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Question About NSAID's

I have not yet been diagnosed with lupus, but believe that I do have it......I have been borderline for over 25 years but the docs keep saying that I am "not quite" there.

I was wondering......would it throw off blood work results if I was taking an NSAID at the time of the blood test? Wouldn't the NSAID reduce the amount of inflammation that would show up on the test results?

Everytime I have bloodwork, I have been on some form of NSAID. It just occurred to me that it could possibly alter what they are looking for on my bloodwork??? No doc has ever mentioned that I should get off of my NSAID before a test.....

What do ya think? I'd love to get your opinions.
    Live, laugh, love. We only have one shot at this. ~Author Unknown

Thanks

U might be on to something, Im not for sure but its definitely worth the try.

Chriss, Good luck!!
    Live, love, and most importantly be grateful!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi porchy,

i know that plaquenil and steroids and immune suppressents can effect lab tests, but i am not sure about NSAIDS. This is a very good question and i am glad that you asked.....just watch....lots of members with an abundance of knowledge will be along and you will have your answer.

thanks for asking.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

I would think any anti inflammatory drug could effect it but honestly..I was dosing myself in the spring(severe knee pain) and I finally had positive blood work...go figure.
    Andrea

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hmmmm....interesting. I think just for the heck of it, when I go for my next bloodwork, I will hold off on the Mobic for about a week and see what happens.....besides loads of extra pain!

I will ask Dr. Yunus (he'll be the rheumy I see) and find out his thoughts as well.

I mean, if I've been borderline lupus for all these years, so "very close, but not quite" for a Dx.......who knows? Might be worth a try.

Thanks for those that responded, and if anyone else has more ideas, let me know.

Thanks

Porchy...

I don't think NSAID would throw the test because they don't affect the antibodies (autoantibodies when they attack ourselves)...... which is the proteins in the blood. NSAIDs, they work on a chemical level. They block the effects of special enzymes -- specifically Cox-1 and Cox-2 enzymes.

When I've been in a mist of a flare, many times my test come back in normal range...so tests are not conclusive of diagnosing Lupus nor a gauge for the activity of the disease.

Tests are only a part of the diagnosing...as there is no test specific to Lupus. It is diagnosed by exclusions through tests, symptoms and family history...and well common sense.

Sometimes a doctor should use logic instead of the 4 out of 11 ACR....I don't understand how a doctor can say we are this close, not quite there...and not treat you for Lupus. There is really no reason they couldn't prescribe Plaquenil....the worse that could happen is it wouldn't work...

I would ask your doctor what does very close, not quite there mean...and if it isn't Lupus what else do they think it could be...

If it was me, I would request the Plaquenil...or even Prednisone. They haven't even given you a taper dose of Prednisone to see it if will bring you any relief? And if they say no, ask why not...and look for another doctor.

Hope this helps...
    Night.
    Love,
    Oluwa

I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oluwa, thank you for the information and the advice. I had no idea that a doc could still treat or diagnose lupus without a positive on the bloodwork. I've spent 28 years thinking that Okay, I don't have lupus but I am full of inflammation......and since they never made a big deal of it, then I just went home with only a fibromyalgia diagnosis and have spent half of my life trying to deal with what I thought were only fibro symptoms.

The fatigue has been absolutely crushing. The inflammation from the tendinitis & plantar facsiitis in my feet has been like walking on fire. I have little teeny tiny red pinpricks on my skin that always made me wonder if they were caused by the high inflammation. And of course, almost every day when I look in the mirror, I see a red rash across my face, sometimes I can feel it's heat......the butterfly rash....

All my life it's been a struggle to be taken seriously. I don't understand why I have had to fight so hard to be believed or understood. Probably why I was ready to just give up, until I came here and met you guys.

I don't mean to sit here and feel sorry for myself, but to tell you the truth......I DO feel sorry for me, and all that I have endured.

I remember before my diagnosis of fibro, some docs were outright cruel to me. One looked me right in the face and said I was a LIAR. He didn't even believe that I had endometriosis. I gave him my gynecologist's name and phone number and told him to call.....I had a laparoscopy done by that gyne and by all means, check it out!!! After my diagnosis, I recall a young female doc....I was there for a blood pressure check. She asked how I had been feeling, and when I told her I had been in a fibro flare up.....she waited a few moments and then said....You think fibro is bad, you ought to try Bone Cancer! I almost fell off the exam table.

I have been treated like crap by so many docs over the years......or else under-diagnosed, mis-diagnosed, whatever!! It makes me so furious. I really like my regular doc, but he has never taken steps to find out what is going on with me. But I can't put all the blame on him.......I haven't really bothered to ask him......I just figured Why Bother. He would probably just refer me to someone else.

Oh well...........now that I am older I realize that holding on to those old "hurts" by docs in the past doesn't do me any good. But it still hurts and they did some real damage to my psyche when they said what they said. I wonder what ever bacame of them. Sometimes I wish I could find them and say, OKAY, NOW.......what do you have to say NOW, in the face of all that has been discovered about fibromyalgia and lupus???

I just take Deep Breaths and try to forget. It's hard enough to walk around with physical pain. I don't want to carry around all the old emotional pain too.

Thanks

when I took the first set of tests the inflamation showed very moderate maybe because I was on advil, but the ANA and dsDNA came up positive - I think even if your tests show that you have inflamtion in your system the dr wouldn't jump to lupus as the cause since there are a lot of things that can cause inflamtion and high white cell could, so if the nsaid are helping I'd say it isn't worth going off for a test -
    much love to all my lupie friends -

Thanks

Porchy...ditto to that..I think a lot of us have been the same route unfortunately...we believe you!!
    Andrea