Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Kingdom for some sleep

Thanks

Default My Kingdom for some sleep

Oh Gosh, I am so tired but do you think I can fall asleep and stay asleep! It's 2:30 am again and here I am....I fall asleep fairly well when I go to bed and then boom I'm awake again, never to fall back to sleep again. I have been trying to study up on sleep disorders and lupus....anybody else have the same problems and been helped with it? I don't beleive it is apnea but I have read about something called hypopnea which kind of sounds familiar....thanks Sandra

Thanks

Hi Sandra,

I have sleep issues too - difficulty falling asleep and staying a sleep. For me, my rheumy mentioned that it could be FM but to a certain extent it could be the pain that disrupts my sleep.

As to your options to help you, you could try good sleep hygiene like going to bed and waking at the same time, cut your caffeine intake, using your bed only for sleep etc.

You could try valerian, kava as a non-pharmacological option. Sleeping pills are not recommended long term because you can develop tolerance and dependent but can be used if you really need the sleep. You could try a low-dose tricyclic antidepressant . At a low dose, it doesn't act as an anti-depressant but helps you get a deeper sleep.

There are can be many reasons that can disrupt sleep so it's best that you discuss it with your doctor.

All the best and take care.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sleep disturbances are quite common with Lupus and especially with those of us who suffer from Lupus and Fibromyalgia.
    For many of us, we need the help of a prescription sleep aide as well as something for our pain. Personally, I have to listen to soft music or a movie that I've seen a million times. For some reason, the calming music and/or familiar movie noise helps to keep me asleep and also helps to keep the night terrors away!
    Talk to your doctor about this, perhaps you and your doctor can find something to help you.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Default finally...some sleep

I too had long term interrupted sleep...I finally agreed to take something. It is Elavil, which is a very old antidepressant drug which seems to help people with Fibro and Lupus type issues. I now sleep thru the night ...unless my dog decides to get back in the bed and she is too short to jump so she comes to my side of the bed!! I don't think it makes me tired but what it does is keep me asleep for some reason and it has helped with the pain in the sense that more rest = less pain.
    Andrea

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi sandra,

i have fibromyalgia along with lupus and my sleep never stays the same....sometimes i fall asleep easily and then wake in the middle of the night...sometimes i can't fall asleep and stay awake until the middle of the night. etc.....the unpredictable sleep is very frustrating .

hope you are sleeping tonight.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

frustrating for sure, and of coarse it all becomes a big cirlce as I need sleep to keep my lupus and other issues under control.....I too take amitriptyline 10 mgs at night and it does work for the most part but when I'm flaring it falls short, I too have fibro so I'm told....I have also beent old to double up on the amitrip at during those times but I also have sonmething called sjogren's disease which is a disease of the exocine glands or moisture producing glands which means allot of dryness....if I am forced to take 20 mgs of amitrip I can quite litterally choke on the dryness even though I can sleep....a big vicious circle....I'll have to get a good solid list together for my next rhuemy visit.....now that I have a positive dx for the lupus I have learned that my entire situation of Auto immune isues is for the most part just addressing symptoms....I spend lots of time trying to prevent or put out little fires before they get big....I'll have to get more serious about some of the symptoms and how to deal with them...sleep issues, pain and weakness, fatigue, cognative,....thanks everybody, oh wish me luck with the EMG test tomorrow!!Sandra

Thanks

Hi Sandra,

I have the same issues, for over six months, I have only gotten about 10-12 hours of sleep in the entire week. My mind was so messed up from sleep deprivation, that I thought that I was going crazy. I can fall asleep, but after about 10- 30 minutes, I will wake up with a jolt and my heart racing so badly, it feels like it is going to jump out of my chest. After that I can't go back to sleep, it feels like I have just run a marathon. I was against sleeping pills, but my dr insisted and now I have been taking Ambien for over nine years. I sleep like a baby for about 6- 7 hours a night. Even after all these years, one pill a night will get me the sleep I need. So if you need help, talk to your doctor.

Debbie

Thanks

Just a random aside, I've never figure out why people say they slept like a baby when they slept well - babies don't sleep straight through the night (esp for the early stage)

Thanks

I feel your pain and frustration!!!!!!! Sleep is such a vicious cycle for us. We can never get enough and the less we get the worse we will feel in regards to our diseases. I have Lupus and Fybro and it is painful at nights. My pain is my legs and they will throb all night long and it is very hard to sleep. My doctor has given me Ambien to help me sleep. They have saved me soooooooo many nights. I hated taking them at first but once the doctor explained to me what the consequences were going to be IF I didn't sleep, I was on board! I also take Lyrica at night before bed for the Fybro pain and Tramadol for the pain that is left. This combination actually helps me a lot. I would talk to your doctor about taking something to help with the sleep issues. You do not want to get to behind on your sleep or you could possibly start flaring up. I have learned over the years and from my love, Oluwa, that sleep is key in the management of our disease. I am sending you thoughts of a restful nights sleep and lots of gentle hugs
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danica01 View Post
    I feel your pain and frustration!!!!!!! Sleep is such a vicious cycle for us. We can never get enough and the less we get the worse we will feel in regards to our diseases. I have Lupus and Fybro and it is painful at nights. My pain is my legs and they will throb all night long and it is very hard to sleep. My doctor has given me Ambien to help me sleep. They have saved me soooooooo many nights. I hated taking them at first but once the doctor explained to me what the consequences were going to be IF I didn't sleep, I was on board! I also take Lyrica at night before bed for the Fybro pain and Tramadol for the pain that is left. This combination actually helps me a lot. I would talk to your doctor about taking something to help with the sleep issues. You do not want to get to behind on your sleep or you could possibly start flaring up. I have learned over the years and from my love, Oluwa, that sleep is key in the management of our disease. I am sending you thoughts of a restful nights sleep and lots of gentle hugs
    You are so right, I wonder how much worse I would be, without my best friend Ambien. Some days I am in real bad shape, but how bad would I be, without sleep.

Debbie