Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need my eyes for seeing...HELP!!!!

Thanks

Default I need my eyes for seeing...HELP!!!!

For the past few weeks have had problems with my eyes. Sometimes I find it hard to focus on anything. my eyes get tired and really really dry. Ive tried prescription drops but I don't think they work that well. I have been on Prednisone and Methotrexate for a little over 5 moths now but I don't know if the vision problems I am having, has to do with the meds or with the lupus. has anyone had any similar problems??

I hate that my eyes have been pooping out on me....

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Eyes

I also have eye problems. I have what they call "vitreous detachment" which is a fancy name for multiple floaters, which make it very hard to see clearly. I blink, blink, blink...and I might get a clear look for a few seconds before the floaters zoom back into my line of vision. It's a nightmare. I love to read and I'm also an antique dealer so this is quite bothersome and a total pain in the butt. I don't know if this has to do with any disease process or if it's just bad eyes. It runs in the family, so I'm told. Also I've been severely nearsighted since 2nd grade. I'm 53 now. They say there is nothing that can be done. Also I am at higher risk for retinal detachment which is very serious and requires prompt surgery. woopee! Just one more thing on the laundry list.

I hope whatever is going on with you either resolves itself or can be fixed by altering your meds or something. Good luck.
    Live, laugh, love. We only have one shot at this. ~Author Unknown

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Many people with Lupus suffer from Sjogren's syndrome. This is anautoimmune disease that features inflammation of the glands that produce tears (lacrimal glands) leads to decreased water production for tears and eye dryness. It also can include inflammation of the glands that produce the saliva in the mouth (salivary glands, including the parotid glands) leads to dry mouth and dry lips. This might have something to do with the dryness of your eyes.

Also, you should know that some of the side effects of Prednisone includes blurred vision and headaches. It is best that you speak to your doctor about this so that its cause can be determined! I wish you the best.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Saysusie is right, call the good ole doc on this one! It may be as simple as the steroids or you may need to go and see an eye doctor. Whatever you do, don't wait. Our eyes are very important and you want to figure out what is going on as soon as you can. Hang in there love and we are thinking about you. Keep us posted on what you find out. I am sending you thoughts of clear vision and gentle hugs to help get you through this
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

My doctor told me my eye sight problems (which I am having too) were because of prednisone...
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." -MLK, Jr.

Thanks

thank you for posting this -
    this is a new symptom for me and it just overwhelmed my day in a matter of a few hours. I can't see clearly, there is like a film on my vision - the drops work great for about two minutes. They are so dry they hurt and have caused a headache. GF who also has lups says drink more water, which I'm trying to do but no relief yet.

I have dr appt in two weeks but if not better by morning I'm calling it in.

rediculous.

Sorry I don't have a solution just commesuration - I'm hoping rest will help.
    much love to all my lupie friends -

Thanks

Just recently, I was prescribed Restasis for my dry eyes due to Sjogren's Syndrome. The eye dryness/fatigue were the least of my problems until just recently. Please get your eyes checked by an opthamologist--they can easily detect abnormalities and can prescribe meds if OTC drops aren't cutting it. They can even put "plugs" in to stimulate moisture--depending on the severity of your problem.

Thanks

Bonusmom is right, you ladies definitely need to make an appointment to see an opthamalogist. I dont get dry eyes but I know many people that have lupus who complain of dry eyes the eye doc can prescribe you something.

Chriss
    Live, love, and most importantly be grateful!!

Thanks

does the Rumy write the refferal to an opt? I'm seeing the rumy in two weeks and while I refused treatment six months ago I'm ready for it now (we did do one short round of prednisone) so if I go on planqunel I think it is anothe rreason to see an opth - I'm going to try to wait for my rumy apt

meanwhile, I read that it is caused by inflamation to the gland so am loading up on advil and hope that might help.

rediculously debilitating -

well for sure this disease is not boring, huh?
    much love to all my lupie friends -

Thanks

My rheumy made the referral to a neuro opthamologist to rule out vasculitis. She also referred me to the SICCA Clinic at UCSF (I was thoroughly examined by a dentist, opthamologist, NP, etc. as part of their research study for Sjogren's-at no cost since I agreed to participate in the study). If you have an HMO, you'll need to get that referral from your PCP, I would think. I have a PPO so the delivery rules/referrals are a bit different.

With Plaquenil, it's recommended that you be examined by an opthamologist every 6 months, which I plan to do.