Thread: Autonomic Neuropathy

Thanks

Default Autonomic Neuropathy

I had heat exhaustion in July when I was helping DH at the track. We had just arrived, it was a mere 97 degrees out and I was sucking down water. I was not sweating, was very nauseous and had the chills. It took 30 mins in an air conditioned RV to finally start sweating.

Last winter, my feet were cold to touch, but sweating.

Doctor says my thermostat is messed up and be more aware of the dangers of heat stroke and/or heat exhaustion.

Anyone else develop autonomic neuropathy after AI diagnosis? How do you cope?
    Last edited by BonusMom; 08-20-2009 at 10:29 AM.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Bonusmom,

I have the same problem, but I have not actually been told by my neuro yet that it's Autonomic Neuropathy. I get overheated and no amount of cooling will bring my core temperature down. When it happens, I sweat uncontrollably, and get very lightheaded and weak. I lay, or sit still in a cool area, and just wait for it to subside. Sometimes it takes an hour or two for the sweating to stop. I haven't found out yet if this problem is related to SLE, or to MS, though I suspect the latter. I wish I knew more, and had more info for you.

Rob

Thanks

Thanks for the post, Rob. Sorry that you are also contending with this issue--on top of everything else. It took me a couple of hours to cool down, sweating all the while. I wasn't looking so sharp when all was said and done--kinda like a drowned rat!

Thanks

I almost forgot, I did do one big thing to help with this problem. I moved from Phoenix, where it's 117 today, to Maine, where it's a very nice 75 right now!

Thanks

I am with Rob, I would get overheated alot, when I lived in Dallas TX, now that I have moved to upstate NY, I feel alot better. My doc thinks it is because I have thick, sticky blood, that is the reason I am so sensitve to heat.

Debbie

Thanks

I wouldn't mind moving to a cooler climate although Cali has been pretty mild this summer, but I wouldn't want to be far away from my kids and future grandkids.....

I wish I knew the perfect place for this worn out thermostat of mine.......too cold--my joints start hurting and too hot--I look like a greased pig!

Thanks

Interesting that you're in upstate NY, Debbie. My eldest son (on the left in the avatar pix) just returned from visiting baseball's hall of fame with his future father-in-law and said the area is simply stunning He'd move there in a minute, but the new Mrs. wants NOTHING to do with snow, with the exception of hot toddies in front of the fireplace

Thanks

It's funny that I don't have the problem in the opposite way. I have no trouble in the winter with staying warm. I never get chills that bother me, or won't go away. In fact, I do work outside in the winter months, and I feel the overheated sensation start, but then it stops, and I can keep on going with little problem. It's really odd.

Thanks

My hubby is from upstate NY - the Middletown/Newburgh area. We would both live there in a heartbeat if we could. The Catskills are so very beautiful, especially in the fall. If we can afford to live there when we retire, it's one of the places on our list to check into.
    We're in Texas now (52 days at 100 or more this summer, and counting) and we both hate it. We leave for Monterey. Ca. in two weeks. Unfortunately, we'll only be stationed there for 3 years. I've been following their weather reports for months now. The temperatures there seem to be about the same year round, and they seem to feel that 76 is quite hot!
    I can't wait to get out of the heat. I also get overheated easily, so I can rarely spend any time outdoors in this drought-stricken, miserable excuse for a state.
    Marla

Thanks

Welcome to Cali, Marla! You'll love Monterey! DH and I are headed there next week for a few days of relaxation (me) and some golf (DH). The weather is perfect in Monterey, with the morning marine layer keep things from getting too hot. The key is to dress in layers. DH has many track records at Laguna Seca and would be his number one choice for retirement living. Racing and golf--life couldn't be any better in his eyes. For me, the climate is definitely the draw (ok--throw in the boutiques/galleries, great food and all of the pretty landscaping--and I'm hooked). You'll be sorry to leave Monterey when your three years are up.