Thread: Exciting, Frightening Idea!

Thanks

Smile Exciting, Frightening Idea!

Thank you so much for all of the support. This is truly a wonderful source for people dealing with Lupus!

I wanted to let you all know about something really exciting and a little frightening for me.

My major is Journalism and Mass Communication with an emphasis in Public Relations (it's a mouthful,) and my dream job is doing promotions for a musical venue like the House of Blues. I always tell people this career combines the two things I love most: music and people.

I'm also an honors student, meaning I have to do a thesis. We can do anything, but most students relate it to their major. This got me thinking about what I should do, because it's coming up quick.

Well, I decided. I'm going to plan and promote a benefit concert for Lupus awareness and research!!! What an amazing way to help out something close to my heart, do something I love AND get my thesis out of the way!

It's still in the beginning stages, but I understand that for this to be an honest success, I will have to discuss my own Lupus. This is scary for me, but I think it will be good.

I'm in a business fraternity that puts on several impressive philanthropic events from a golf tournament to a 5k run to a male beauty pageant, all benefitting different causes. I am hoping to get my Brothers on board and if this is a success, make it an annual event. My Brothers are my closest friends and they deserve to know something so important about me and they deserve to be a part of this!

I would like to hear all of your thoughts on this. I will keep you updated on the trials and tribulations of this undertaking!

Thanks

I think that is a great Idea. Have you thought about contacting the Lupus Foundation of America to get some ideas on how to organize this?
    God Bless you always,

Maria

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Kirsten,

I think it's a scary, ambitious, exciting idea, and I think you should definitely do it! Many of us, myself included, have wanted to do something to promote understanding and public awareness of Lupus, but can't, because we are too sick, or brain fog has our organizational skills in tatters. I agree, it would be scary to open up to the world about your own experience with Lupus, but I think you would really establish your credibility on the subject by doing so. I say go for it!

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Kirsten!
    You should do this. I think it will help complete your thesis and do what you love. Yes it is scary revealing a weakness/disease to those who don't know or to the world so to speak but I think that is part of healing and moving forward. Almost like coming out! I think this will help educate those who don't know yet open doors up for you and other patients/people with Lupus. I too want to be more involved in Lupus awareness and do plan on doing a letter writing campaign to help generate funding for research and a cure. I don't know where you are but I am open if your in S. CAL to speak or attend your event. Please keep us posted on your project and thesis! You can do this! Your ambitious and smart and there is nothing to be afraid/scared of!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

i think its a GREAT idea! you should really pursue it!
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Thanks

What an undertaking for such a wonderful cause, Thank You!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I think this is a great idea. I'm very open about my Lupus. I have had more of a positive response than a negative. I heard someone say one time "that talking about Lupus saves lives". So I've been talking about lupus every since. I'm sure I get on peoples nerves at times. But since I'm trying to save lives, I try not to let it bother me. I think the more we talk about lupus in pubic.The closer we can to a cure.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Thanks

Hi Kirsten,

I think it a GREAT HONOUR towards yourself and also Lupus suffers and it would help bring the Disease out into the open more.

I wish you the very best of success with it.

Terri xxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

i agree with rob, it is a scarey idea.
    but go for it.
    unfortunatelly i live in australia, so i cant be there.

do it, and have fun with it.
    when i was in my late 20's i ran a concert on a military base.
    it was onew of the hardest things i have done, but one of the most enjoyable.
    as i look back, it was worth it.

go for it.

Thanks

Kirsten,
    This is a WONDERFUL project. I've been involved in organizing lots of things, from a state Latin conference when I was teaching to the Wine & Beer Tasting/Silent Auction that our Military Spouses' Club is doing tomorrow night.
    Your idea of involving your fraternity is a good one. Delegate jobs to folks in that group according to their strengths. Promote your event in your community and look for businesses who will sponsor the event in return for some advertisement.
    Don't be afraid to be open about your Lupus. Perhaps someone else on campus or your community will step forward who also has it, and you can help each other
    I wish you the best of luck, sweetie.
    Hugs,
    Marla

11. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (05-27-2011)