Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stress

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Stress

Please help me think of some new good ways to handle stress. The old ways don't seem to be working anymore.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

You tried:-

1.hot bubble bath n relax in it for half hour
    2.Hold breath for 5 seconds then breath out for 5 n do it 5 times
    3.watch a funny movie
    4.read a book
    5.go for a walk

Hope one of these is a good idea.
    Love
    Amanda.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Default Stress Relief

Dear Drinkofwtr
    I have copied some information for you on a technique known as SomatoEmotional Release (SER) . It is a technique I have tried on several occasions now and have had wonderful success with.
    SomatoEmotional Release (SER) is part of the CranioSacral Therapy curriculum, and is a means of accessing pain and emotions held within the body, by listening to tissue response. It's an experience that is not easy to explain or express but has a calming effect like no others I have tried.

You can search for practitioners who have training in CranioSacral Therapy through the Upledger Institute at:
    http://www.iahp.com/pages/search/index.php#result
    Additional information and practitioners can be found at:
    IAHP - International Association of Healthcare Practitioners
    Source: www.iahp.com
    SomatoEmotional Release is a concept, and a group of techniques developed by the founder of CranioSacral Therapy Dr. John Upledger, in conjunction with biophysicist Dr. Zvi Karni.

In Dr. Upledger's extensive treatment experience providing CranioSacral Therapy to clients, he found that accessing a person's soft tissues would often initiate body movements that were not conscious or voluntary actions. These movements seemed automatic and if they were allowed to occur, and in fact were followed by the practitioner, the end result would be spontaneous tissue release accompanied by the spontaneous expression of emotion. These emotions would range from quiet whimpering to more intense reactions and seemed to be directly associated with that particular body position. Of primary importance, he noticed that with the release of the emotion, a total body release would occur, meaning that tissues throughout the body would relax, move and change in a way that promoted greater functionality. The client would sometimes but not always be aware in that moment of what that emotion was associated with, but generally within a period of 24-48 hours greater understanding and clarity would surface (ie, a memory that would link that particular body part or position to a certain incident or situation that was in some way traumatic.) In addition, clients provided feedback to Dr. Upledger that the experience of the emotional release not only alleviated physical symptoms, but also resulted in behavioural shifts:
    SomatoEmotional Release is defined by Dr. Upledger as:
    Soma is defined as "body" or more specifically, the entire body
    of an organism. SER reflects a Body-Mind paradigm vs. the
    mind-body (psychosomatic) concept. That is, rather than the
    mind affecting the body, we are now relating to the body as a
    means of accessing or addressing issues commonly thought of
    as belonging to the realm of the mind.
    These kinds of spontaneous total-body releases had such highly
    valuable therapeutic effects that Dr. John Upledger developed
    techniques that can be used by practitioners to encourage
    SomatoEmotional Release in clients. In each and every case
    without exception, Dr. Upledger discovered that the Cranio-
    Sacral Rhythm stops suddenly when the tissues are in an exact
    position that is therapeutically significant to the client. Thus, by
    monitoring the CranioSacral Rhythm while listening to tissue
    movements and responses, the therapist can receive valuable
    'significance' feedback from the body. This means that without knowing anything about the origin or the injury, the practitioner will know which positions are moving the client closer to resolution (release.)
    the expression of emotion that, for reasons deemed appropriate by some part of the patients's or client's nonconscious, has been retained, suppressed and isolated within the soma.
    SomatoEmotional Release for me identified causes of my stress that I did not even know was a factor in my life and the "release" has helped me to grow and understand and deal with my stress so much more effectively.
    Another technique which many of my friends have tried successfully is
    Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) can be easily learned and used by anyone, anywhere, at any time; it is gentle, effective techniques that allow your body to naturally release stress and tension. Information on this can also be found at the Upledger Institute.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by noelg; 08-18-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: name appeared twice
    Noel

"Each one of us has been given a song. It isn't until we find that song and begin to sing it that we will realize our purpose here on the earth."

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I aways find that a nice hot bath and some candles and bath salts and music away from everyone seems to help some...

and sreaming and ranting seems to work best for me lol

i am sure you will figure it out... I see some of the others have given good advice...

Hope you find something that works for you...
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi drinkofwtr,

sorry to hear that you continue to be affected by stress....this is such a tough one because so many times we do not control what/who is causing the stress.....I try to mentally give ownership of peoples' choices to them and not let their choices have a negative effect on me.

hope you feel better.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

I can only learn from this thread too! My way of dealing with stress is crying! It helps me! I like to take warm baths too! They help my body relax and so does massage! As soon as my leg is feeling better I will be getting my massage!
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm still learning too...

I cry. I pray. I vent. I watch funny movies. I eat some Hershey's symphony milk chocolate.... my hubby does this one too. There's just someting about that particular chocolate. I put a cold cloth on my face and drink a little wine. I used to go on long walks but I can't do that lately. Photography used to really help distract me ...I'd take a camera with me on my walk. Working on my pictures with photoshop. I research online trying to find answers to my many mysteries. I do that stressed or not...it feels good to be doing something about one of my situations. I come here and hang out with you all.

Oooh, Phyllis, I like the picturing the handing back people's choices to them! And I'm going to research more into the CranioSacral Therapy.

Hope you're feeling better DOW. ((((Hugs))))

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

This probably sounds kind of simple, but I have a punching bag out in the garage that I "work over" when I'm stressed, and it really helps get it all out of my system. Sometimes I imagine the bag is Lupus, and proceed to relentlessly pound it into submission. That helps even more. I know it sounds crazy, but it works.

Thanks

I like the punching bag idea!!!
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

yes, i like the punching bag idea too....but with my hands hurting the way they do, i don't think i could even make the bag move the slightest....i know, whenever we are stressed, we can send a pm to rob, and let him go punch our stress out for us.....hmmmm might be a good idea.
    Phyllis

share a smile today