Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Test Results

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Blood Test Results

Hello Everyone,

I picked up my blood test to take to my Opthamologist appointment. The doctor GP had not told me anything except that my thyroid was low. Here are the abnormals I'm not so sure about;

Complement C4, serum Flagged High @ 38 normal range 9 - 36

Anti - dsDNA (DS) Ab Qn 3 IU/mL 0 - 9
    Negative <5
    Equivocal 5 - 9
    Positive <9

I'd appreciate anyone sharing their knowledge.
    Ayah
    Believe in Tomorrow - Appreciate Today
    http://twitter.com/LupieAyah

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Hi Ayah,

Im not sure what they mean but hang in there n someone will shed some light on these for you im sure.
    Thinking of you.
    Amanda.xxxxxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Oliver View Post
    Hi Ayah,

Im not sure what they mean but hang in there n someone will shed some light on these for you im sure.
    Thinking of you.
    Amanda.xxxxxxxx
    Thank You Amanda, how is your jaw?
    Ayah

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

I can eat but it throbs like mad,im sure its healing though and i go for a ct scan soon as im a pain in the neck lol..so they want to see why that pain is still there.Thanks Ayah for asking.Hope someone comes here n helps you with these results,if not i am sure someone posted a site where you can find out what they mean,i will look for you.Thinking of you always my friend.

LOVE Amanda.xxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ayah, I don't know how to help but I know a site that may...

http://www.labtestsonline.org/

Thanks

Im sorry ayahscahn, I dont know what any of that means
    I wish I could be more helpful
    Live, love, and most importantly be grateful!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks everyone, thank you Abbasgirl I'm going to check that site out tonight.
    Ayah

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi AyahsClan:

Anti - dsDNA (DS) Ab Qn 3 IU/mL 0 - 9:

The Anti-ds DNA is a fairly specific test for lupus. It is one of the criteria used to make the diagnosis of Lupus(you need 4 of 11 criteria). There are very few false positives on this test. Anti-DNA is an immunoglobulin specific against native (double-stranded) DNA. It is increased in Systemic lupus erythematosus & is highly specific to SLE. A positive test means that lupus is present. However, the test can also be positive in some patients with other rare diseases. A negative test means DOES NOT mean that lupus is not present.
    Reference Range
    0-200 IU/ML - negative
    201-300 IU/ML -Equivocal
    302-800 - Moderate Positive
    >801- Strong Positive

COMPLIMENT C4:
    this test is done to monitor the level of activity in lupus as well as to aid in lupus diagnosis. The complement system is a set of blood proteins that are circulating, acting as mediators of the body's inflammatory response. They act especially in the destruction of viruses and bacteria. The complement system does not require previous exposure to a microorganism like antibodies do. It also does not keep a memory of encounters the way antibodies do. Antibodies also need time to be generated, the complement system does not. For these reasons the complement system is a very important part of the immune system and imbalances can adversely affect the integrity and function of the immune system.

What the test measures:
    c3 and c4 are the most commonly measured complement compounds. Ch50 and ch100 (total complement activity) will be measured if your doctor suspects deficiency that is not measured by c3 or c4.
    Normal levels:
    normal levels vary based on a number of factors including gender, age, and the lab doing the testing. Here is a basic guideline:
    c3 - males: 88 to 252 mg/dl (880 to 2520 mg/l)
    females: 88 to 206 mg/dl (880 to 2060 mg/l)
    c4 - males: 12 to 72 mg/dl (120 to 720 mg/l)
    females: 13 to 75 mg/dl (130 to 750 mg/l)
    What low levels mean:
    low complement levels in lupus usually mean increased disease activity. When the body uses the complement system to clear immune complexes from the blood it results in low complement levels. The complement proteins are not produced as quickly as they are being used.

Has this been of help to you? Please let me know if you need more explanation.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hey Saysusie,

Regarding the Anti-ds test, are there other levels that are used? My doctor told me that between 5 and 9 is okay, but over 9 is not okay. Mine was 12. Are there differences in measure according to country, type of test, etc.?

Thanks,

Colleen

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

In a normal range study with serum samples from healthy blood donors, the following ranges have been established with the Anti-dsDNA tests:
    Anti-dsDNA IgG/IgM/IgA
    [U/ml]
    Cut-Off: 25
    Positive results are verified concerning the entire clinical status of the patient. Also, every decision for therapy is taken individually.
    HOWEVER, you are correct that (and it is advised that) each laboratory establishes its own normal and pathological ranges of serum Anti-dsDNA. The values above are only given as guidelines only. So, what your doctor and his lab considers as normal may be completely different for my doctor and the lab that he uses. This has a lot to do with the dilutions & Elisas used by each lab. So, the numbers themselves are not universal, how each lab prepares and interprets the numbers is what is crucial in making determinations.
    I hope that I've answered your question.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!