Thread: Lupus and Pregnancy

Thanks

Default Lupus and Pregnancy

Hello all. I have been on plaquenil & naprosyn for a month and a half and although its not really helping my fiance and I have come to the realization that we would like to have another baby. I am not on any birth control because like my mother and grandmother it gives me chest pain and severely messes up my cycles. We have not been using anything as protection(i am sensitive to condoms and lubricants) however I got my period this month but it is just something we have talked about...I was wondering if anyone is having the same issues or has any suggestions? This is stressful for us because I dont want to be selfish and harm the baby if we did concieve :/ Thanks. -Brittanee
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

With reference to Plaquenil and pregnancy:
    There have not been substantial human trials on this subject. However, in animal studies on Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) and pregnancy, the medication crossed the placenta and accumulated in the eyes of the fetus when it was given to pregnant animals. Although human studies are lacking, available evidence suggests that there is a relatively low risk to the fetus.
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) uses a pregnancy category system to classify the possible risks to a fetus when a specific medicine is taken during pregnancy. Pregnancy Category C is given to medicines that have not been studied in pregnant humans but do appear to cause harm to the fetus in animal studies. Also, medicines that have not been studied in any pregnant women or animals are automatically given a pregnancy Category C rating. It is important to note that animals do not always respond to medicines the same way that humans do.
    Technically, Plaquenil does not have an official pregnancy Category rating, as is common with older medications. However, most sources consider it to be a pregnancy Category C medication.
    If you are taking Plaquenil and pregnancy occurs, your doctor and obstetrician will work closely with you to determine what recommendations should be considered.

With reference to Naprosyn and Pregnancy:
    Although most healthcare providers do not recommend taking Naprosyn during pregnancy, your doctor may prescribe the drug to you during pregnancy if the benefits outweigh the possible risks to your unborn child. Taking this medicine during pregnancy can possibly cause problems to the fetus or complicate labor and delivery. IMPORTANT: Naprosyn should be avoided completely during the third trimester. If you are taking Naprosyn and pregnancy occurs, let your know immediately or, since you want to become pregnant, let your doctor know immediately.
    Naprosyn is considered a pregnancy Category C medicine by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. Please let us know if you need anything further.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!