Thread: Savella for FM

Thanks

Default Savella for FM

I have been on Savella for the last month and a half. It had just been ok'd by the FDA in the US. To the point that when I asked my Rheumy about it, she had just heard about it from the rep that day and had some samples. Is anyone else out there on it? I am not really noticing any improvements yet. I have read about some online.

Just FYI
    Money cannot buy you happiness but it can buy you a big enough boat to allow you to pull up along side it!!! - David Lee Roth

Thanks

I wish I could help you but I am not on it. I am sure in time someone will come along and help you out. The one bit of advice I can give you is to stay on it for about 4 to 5 months. That gives it more than enough time to start working. I would hate to see you go off of something that may really help in the near future. I am sending you lots of healing thoughts and gentle hugs to get you through this trying period with your medication
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I belong to Kaiser (an HMO) and when I asked my rheumy about it, I was told that Kaiser does not prescribe it (they also do not prescribe Lyrica!).
    I hope that you do start to feel some relief from the drug. Let us know when and if you do!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Welcome back Saysusie,

I have not tried Savella, although if anyone takes MaxAlt for migraines there is a med conflict. Please be careful. I also noticed there are huge and major warnings on Savella (withdrawals) as compared to Lyrica. Keep in mind everyone is different with different meds. I have read on the board by a couple of members that Lyrica has helped them.

Lyrica has not worked for me, but it doesn't mean it won't help someone else. You will never know until you try it. I am on Lyrica and have not noticed a difference in pain, stiffness, spasms, etc. I have picked up weight (bad for low back issues) although how I don't understand as Lyrica makes my stomach upset (I get one meal down a day; on a good day maybe 2) and I just want to puke (sorry). It's like having morning sickness all day long. In the mornings I feel drugged out, not myself and completely in lala land. I can't get going and I don't want get out of bed. I am more tired than I am normally.

Again, everyone is different. I am very happy it has worked with other members.

Take care,

Faith

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I have been on it since the end of June. At first I thought that it was helping but as time has gone on...it does not seem like it yet. Although, it could be the Lupus, FMS, Myositis... My Rheumy is getting frustrated and when I went to Cleveland Clinic last month for a 2nd opinion, the doc there said that the Lupus is dormant and that the myosistis and/or FMS is causing the problems. I just want to make it one more year at work and then go out on medical disability at work. We'll see.
    Money cannot buy you happiness but it can buy you a big enough boat to allow you to pull up along side it!!! - David Lee Roth

Thanks

Hi captnblah,

I am sorry that it is not working. Please be careful as the side-effects and withdrawals are so numerous. Fibro is a tough one to get relief from and it's very frustrating because you don't get even a "break." I feel for you.

I have been referred to a pain management doctor; it's not fun to say the least. I wish there was a simpler and safer alternative to pain meds; unfortunately there just isn't as of yet. A member on the blog mentioned Arnica gel and I am going to try that. Another dr suggested accupuncture and that is the next step. I guess we just have to keep on trying until we exhaust all efforts or there is a definite cure.

I wish you all the best and I hope you get some relief soon. If you stop taking the Savella, be careful because of the withdrawls.

Take care,

Faith

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi captnblah,

i have not tried savella. All of the meds that i tried for fibro just caused unbearable side effects, so i just rely on pain meds to get me through the worst days....most days i just endure the pain.

hope you are doing ok.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Hi cptnblah -
    My Rheumy just gave me Savella - so I'll be starting it tomorrow. Looks like it has been a month since your post - have you noticed any improvements or side effects? He wanted to start me on Lyrica, but i was extremely concerned about weight gain as a side effect. He then decided to give me Savella instead. I have always been "a little" overweight, but very active. For the past two months seems I can only drag myself out of bed for some yummy comfort foods! 25 pounds later - i couldn't bear to gain any more weight! I hope I didn't make a bad decision with the doc!

Jennifer