Thread: Disability

Hybrid View

Thanks

Unhappy Disability

Since my DX, my hubby really wants me to try and get on disability. Am I just setting myself up for failure? Does anyone have any good stories about it? Seems all I ever hear is bad stuff!!!
    Blessings,
    Carrie

"I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe."

Thanks

Hi Carrie,

I am going thru disability right now. My appointment is Aug 26th however, I do already have a lawyer ready just incase. I learned that from loosing my long term disability from my job...i wasnt prepared at all and I couldn't find a good lawyer in time. If you have any questions about it let me know. I just pray it goes well...my husband and I need the money.

Take care!

neL

Blog Entries
    Thanks

So you file first, than get a lawyer or have the lawyer help you file. my friends want me to file also for it. but i am afraid of being turn down since i am still working although its harder some days than others and i am making mistakes all the time just not sure if its something to do right now.
    Keep Smiling

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I have been on full disability since 2004. I would not be able to make ends meet without it. Although you do not need a lawyer to file for you, it would be wise to have someone with some decent organizational or clerical skills to help you with it.

I have never been good with paperwork, so I had my father, who is retired law enforcement help me make sure I crossed all the T's and dotted all the I's. He also went with me to all of my various interviews and appointments, and spoke for me on the really bad brain fog/flare days. In all, it took around 10 months to go from first applying, to recieving my first paynment. The amount I recieve is substantial, and it was well worth my time and effort to pursue this route.

I will most likely be on full disability for the rest of my life. Even if SLE was cured tomorrow, there's the MS. Anyway, I had no problems being approved, and at the time, SLE was the only diagnosis I had.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well, I am in the process of disability right now in fact just got my letter telling me that I was not disable... according to them or the way they way it sound as it I did not word it right on there forms... If had been worded correctly could have received it... now I have to file an appeal...

What gets me is the fact that they sent me to there dr who said I was disable and stood a 95% chance of getting it...but yet I was turned down...

somethings got to give.... i understand a lawyer can help btu my problem is I can't afford to give a lawyer any money even if it came out of my disability...

good luck to all who are trying... on my way to file my appeal
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

Thanks

I like you hated to admit to myself and everyone else that I am disabled... I have loved working and being around other people. At my husband's suggestion I did file for SS disability. I was so nervous but the woman that helped me was super nice. Everyone told me if I was denied to appeal. Anyway I did get declined tho they said that they did find definate imparement that I could possibly work part time. They evidently don't live in the same world as I do... no one around here is going to hire a broke down old woman who may or may not be able to get to work, may or more likely may not be able to stay at work adn who's mind is fogged up so she don't know her name!!! I did send in an appeal for reconsideratin and am waiting the decision. I have not had a lawyer up to this point but have decided if they deny me again, I will get one. I have not had the results that I had hoped for but people within the SS office and the doctor they sent me to were super nice. I can say that I don't have a horror story to tell you. Just do what you can, file everything ON TIME and learn to be patient and wait. I first filed in Sept... filed for reconsideration in the last of Jan this year and am waiting....Everyone says it is a process... I say its a slow process... so I'm waiting but my advice is to file now... it takes a long time and its hard financially to wait for theiir decision. You can't get it till you try!...

Thanks

Rob, were you still working at the time? I am the sole provider for my family and it really gets me down during a flare worying about how to support them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    I have been on full disability since 2004. I would not be able to make ends meet without it. Although you do not need a lawyer to file for you, it would be wise to have someone with some decent organizational or clerical skills to help you with it.

I have never been good with paperwork, so I had my father, who is retired law enforcement help me make sure I crossed all the T's and dotted all the I's. He also went with me to all of my various interviews and appointments, and spoke for me on the really bad brain fog/flare days. In all, it took around 10 months to go from first applying, to recieving my first paynment. The amount I recieve is substantial, and it was well worth my time and effort to pursue this route.

I will most likely be on full disability for the rest of my life. Even if SLE was cured tomorrow, there's the MS. Anyway, I had no problems being approved, and at the time, SLE was the only diagnosis I had.

Rob
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3

Thanks

Thank you Laura and pbrandie. I am ready but the system is not ready according to their rules. It really needs to be reworked and not based on age or if you are working for one hour per day. I found out I am not going to have a part-time job next school year so the employer is encouraging me to apply for a 6 hour position that I cannot physicall or cognitively work. I am struggling to work 3 hours per day; no way can I work 6 hours. It's very frustrating and the idea that I can find another 3 hour position with modifications and rest breaks altering sitting and standing every 10 mins is very unlikely.

Any other suggestions?

Faith

Thanks

Ive been on disability since 2003. I was 23 when I got it! I did not use a lawyer. I first applied in 2000. Then recieved all the back pay. Which was excited but didnt even pay all the bills still. I felt that way especially just graduating from college. But There are programs where you can still work some and get your check. I did this for years because it made me feel worthy. BUT I realized IN my case. I would work til I got sick then take time off. Until two years ago I just gave it all a break and made home a job. Which is one anyway. Samanthas 13 and Stevens (hubby) 31 They both need alot of taking care of. AND Im healthier. I just found Stuff to do that made me feel good. I volunteer at Sams school,fundraise for Lupus, And have a very clean house. Keep your head up! And think positve. But if you truley feel your not ready then dont be!

Life is all In how you interpret it