Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What *is* brain fog?

Thanks

Default What *is* brain fog?

I know how it makes me feel - the forgetfulness, the fogginess when I'm trying to think, the vague anxiety because I feel 'off' so often, stumbling over spelling when I used to be perfect at spelling, not remembering someone's name who I know very well, forgetting words when I'm speaking, not being able to remember anything unless I write it down, etc. But where does it come from? Is it something the doctors can find by testing, or is one of those 'lupus things' that we experience but can't explain scientifically?

I've been really bothered by the brain fog, especially as I'm a teacher and thinking about going back to work in a month is kind of scary. I'm not doing too bad, and having the summer off has helped, but I don't want to forget my students' names again, or do anything else that shows I'm not on top of everything. I had a brain MRI recently and it was normal for my age (whatever that means!). I had an EEG and the technician said it 'looks good' when we finished - I'll get the official report from my doctor on Thursday. So is all this testing a waste of time? Is brain fog something they can identify somehow? And if so, is there anything to do to improve it?
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Thanks

Hi Brandichi,

I have brain fog and I don't know if there are any tests to prove it. I also had a MRI done it came back normal. I am not sure if it's part of the disease and we just have to deal with it. But you described everything I go thru.

I remembered my best friend had a baby and I told my husband the baby's name seven times. He was like ummm yeah u know u have told me this seven times already. I was so embarassed because I couldn't remember telling him.

Or I have boiled water and left to do something else and my husband is like are u boiling water and I will look him dead in the face and say "No I didn't boil any water" It's just crazy.

I am on IV treatments and I can see some improvement.

Do you have Candasis or whatever they call it that can give u brain fog as well?

Good luck with the doctor Thursday and take care!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brandichi View Post
    I know how it makes me feel - the forgetfulness, the fogginess when I'm trying to think, the vague anxiety because I feel 'off' so often, stumbling over spelling when I used to be perfect at spelling, not remembering someone's name who I know very well, forgetting words when I'm speaking, not being able to remember anything unless I write it down, etc. But where does it come from? Is it something the doctors can find by testing, or is one of those 'lupus things' that we experience but can't explain scientifically?

I've been really bothered by the brain fog, especially as I'm a teacher and thinking about going back to work in a month is kind of scary. I'm not doing too bad, and having the summer off has helped, but I don't want to forget my students' names again, or do anything else that shows I'm not on top of everything. I had a brain MRI recently and it was normal for my age (whatever that means!). I had an EEG and the technician said it 'looks good' when we finished - I'll get the official report from my doctor on Thursday. So is all this testing a waste of time? Is brain fog something they can identify somehow? And if so, is there anything to do to improve it?
    That is a very good question. I have read somewhere, that something in the brain is inflamed, I can't remember what ( that is almost funny, I can't remember). What I understand is, that yes it is a lupus thing and nothing can be done. I have days, where I am totally " normal", but most of the time I am fogging through my day and people look at me, like I am a stupid idiot. And like you said, the anxiety, that comes with the fog, because you know, that people will look at you funny. Some days, I think the fog is worse than the pain, because with the pain I can deal with all by myself, the fog I share with others, without wanting to.

Debbie

Thanks

It's so good to know I'm not alone here! (But sorry you two are going through it as well, of course). jcg, what kind of iv treatments are you on? If it's helped you, I want to ask my neurologist about it on Thursday. Is candasis the yeast thing? If so, yep, but it tends to come and go. I haven't had problems with it for most of the summer...hmmm...and the brain fog hasn't been quite as bad this summer, but I had attributed that to being on summer vacation.

Debbie, that's exacatly how I feel, that I can deal with the pain myself, I tend to block a lot of it so I just go on as best I can. But I HATE more than anything for people to notice there's something wrong with me!!!!! I spend so much time trying to look 'normal' because I don't want people to feel sorry for me. I want them to see me as Cheryl, not as 'Cheryl-who-has-lupus'. I'm still me, the person I always have been, I just have some limits now that I didn't have before. And those looks, people looking at me funny, causes more anxiety for me than lupus itself does.
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Thanks

I was told that its from the inflamation which causes pressure against the brain stem. This is cutting off the "normal" circulation we have when we arent inflamed, bad circulation=brain fog. HMMMM, it seems i would have had "brain fog" BEFORE my LUPUS as well if you were to ask my husband and my kids! LOL No, thats just called being a MOM, a WIFE and SUPERWOMAN! That LOAD can make anyone BRAIN FOGGY!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hey! i def have brainfog!!!! mine is like a dyslexic kinda thing. like i'll say things like Dold Crink instead of Cold Drink. or i switch up the whole words. also i will forget what im talking about mid sentence...or i'll go to do something but then completely forget what i wanted to do!
    its so annoying, and i actually will be seeing a neurologist about it on friday.
    bahh.......another doctor to add to the list.
    im too young for all this!!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by brandichi View Post

I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Thanks

Too young FOR SURE SWEETIE BUT so mature and rational about it and THATS WHAT MATTERS HUN! YOu are STRONG and BEAUTIFUL!!!!! WE can all sound like a bunch of drunks together!!!! LOL
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Thanks

Hi Brandichi,

Yes Candasis is that yeast thing. There are herbal ivs, they can be used to help treat lyme and yeast. Some of them I don't like u feel crappy for a couple days but then u feel good. And then some of them u feel good right away. I get them from my Rhuematologist. Good luck on Thursday I hope the dr can give u some more insight.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I get it also, when typing mispelled words all the time. i have notice i due have days that brain is sharp and days i can't speak or type worth crap. i have been forgetting things right and left.

i use to not have to put anything on paper and now i do and still forget or look at it say i got take care of that and as soon as i remember to do it i forget all over again and realize i didn't take care of that. i call it being lupie with lupus. lol

i don't think i will ever be normal again and what is normal.
    Keep Smiling

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    Too young FOR SURE SWEETIE BUT so mature and rational about it and THATS WHAT MATTERS HUN! YOu are STRONG and BEAUTIFUL!!!!! WE can all sound like a bunch of drunks together!!!! LOL
    AWH thanksss!! :]
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!