Thread: Sun effects ???

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question Sun effects ???

This weekend I noticed something and was wondering if anyone else has this issue....

I have severe swelling in my feet and hands but noticed when I was out in the sun that it got worse... I have noticed this more and more when I go out...

I am using sunscreen uv 50 and wearing and hat and sun glasses but it does not help... The swelling gets worse.... to the point where I almost can not walk...

just wondering if others had this issue...

Thanks
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

Thanks

Hi Leann,

Yep, when I'm in a flare, I have the same thing happen to me. My hands are always the worst, but it gets my feet and legs too. Even with long sleeves, long pants, sunblock, hat, sunglasses, the whole thing, I can still get the effects of the sun. Unfortunately, the only thing I found that helps is to totally stay out of the sun on those days. I stay in the house and keep myself distracted as much as I can. I have no idea why it happens, because it seems like we do everything right to protect ourselves. Then again, so much with lupus makes no sense! And when I'm not in a flare, I can be out running errands with no problem, as long as I have sunblock, hat, etc.
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Thanks

YUP, Cheryl and I are officially VAMPIRES now huh Cheryl!? LOL The sun IS my enemy these days. UGH to that cuz i used to LOVE the sun! I LOVE being outside biking, bird watching,gardening,going for a walk...........not anymore. I do so much in the early evening anymore. I have to, its just an adjustment that i have no other choice but to make. My dr told my hubby and i to get "car shades" because i flare from the sun coming through the windows as well. I notice that i flare WORSE if i dont wear my sunglasses too. The winter and the fall are going to turn into my favorite seasons apparently!! LOL It used to be thst spring and summer were! Well, they still can be, i just have to enjoy them from affar thats all
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Thanks

Default Yep, Summer is the enemy

I am currently going through the same thing. This last week was the worst with 100 degree weather. None of the current meds are working. My feet and hands were swollen and felt nauseau. My doc said just do what you can to make yourself comfy.

Good Luck
    Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus SLE- Nephritis, Raynaud's syndrome, BAD eye sight, possible Sjogrens

MEDS: Plaquenil, Lisiniprol, Prednisone (tapering), Imuran, Prozac, Ambien

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks everyone,

I generally don't go out much since I lost my job, and my condition got worse in Feb... But my husband works so much when he gets the time off I feel the need to get out of the house...

We took the dog down to the river which was cool. I had been wanting to do this but knew that it would be a challange... Allen(hubby) wasn't sure this was going to be a good idea... He kept asking me if I were ok. which drives me nuts sometimes...I had only been out for about 30 or 40 minutes when I noticed my hands were swelling up more... I had to take my wedding ring off...(I hate that)... anyway we decided we were going to hike a trail, Allen said I didn't have to go could stay by the water but there was a aligator near by and I didn't like the looks of him... so we went hiking the first part of it was ok, but after about 20 minuntes are so my legs and feet were swelling up...

finally we left, it took me the rest of the afternoon to recover from that...

I don't want my husband to think I have to live the rest of my life inside and can't do anything... and I did have a good time despite the problems that I have... It just makes me so mad that 5 years ago I could out walk him and could climb mountains...Now I can bearly move to go to the restroom...

We have discussed finding more things that we can do that are at night... we did start going to the grocery store at night and we actually enjoy that because there are less people there... and I don't feel so bad if I have to ride in the little scotters...

once agian thanks all
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

Thanks

LOl My hubby and i too have started doing things at night. Its peaceful so thats a good thing about it. We just have to make adjustments with this illness and then it takes some time to make that be our "NORM". Change IS hard BUT it is inevitable SO I say DO WHAT WE CAN DO!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Thanks

There is no escaping the sun for me, I'm in Canada and we all wait for months for the snow to melt and the cold to leave just to enjoy the nice weather and then I can't go out into it!
    I use 6o sunblock, a UV hat and coat, Uv sunglasses, stay in the shade as much as possible but still the attacker gets to me.
    I have not been able to wear my wedding band or any of my rings for years now. My feet always hurt, and I wear size huge clothing because i can't stand the binding feeling when I swell. So half the time when I am not swollen I can't keep my pants up! LOL!
    I have a real love hate relationship with the nice weather....we have a pretty pool area, nice cool pool with gardens all around nice calm place for me to be accept for the sun! So I built an arbour that's covered with dutchmen's pipe vine it's like a deep dark jungle where I can go and hide and at least watch others swim and enjoy the sun.
    The eye thing that someone mentioned is real bad for me I have got to have my UV glasses. I also have to stay out of the car if at all possible.
    After being in the sun for a few hours I swear I can feel the sun bouncing around in my body wreaking havok that night when I go to bed. Cheeks are red and hot, eyes burn. Just a miserable love hate problem! Take Care everyone, Sandra

Thanks

It s probably the lupus, Im sorry that your so uncomfortable in the sun. I hope things change for you and this is something quirky that just started and will pass. Feel better. I dont get any of those symptoms.

Chriss
    Live, love, and most importantly be grateful!!

Thanks

All this time, I have thought that I was NOT sun sensitive, but I also swell, when I am outside, mostly my hands and fingers, arms too. I always swell more on my upper body, not so much on my feet. That means I am sun sensitive, but never connected the two, sun and swelling.

Debbie