Thread: cramping muscles

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Unhappy cramping muscles

I have had a problem with my muscles in my feet and legs and hands for sometime now and it wakes you out of sleep and you jump up and try to relieve it and the whole next day your muscles are very sore and wants to cramp up again. I have lupus but i also have myositis does anyone else have this problem. Bonita

Thanks

Hi Bonita,
    I have had this problem a couple of times. My worst spot was the back of my calves. The pain got pretty intense for a little while but as long as I straightened my leg out it went away. For the next couple of days I could still feel some pain. The pain afterwards was more like a bruise type pain so it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately by the time I had gotten to my rheumy again I had fogotten about it and never asked her what it might be. If I find out I'll let you know.
    Birder

Blog Entries
    Thanks

thanks for replying it hurt so bad i cried and it took so long to go away and then the muscle in the outer part of my leg and foot started and it kepy quivering and today my calf is so sore i have a pain patch on Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Oh i know how bad the cramp feels.Ive suffered very badly with my calves,top of the back of my legs and my feet at least 5 times a day for weeks.Mostly at night.
    I now take Robaxin 750 2 4 times a day.....not one cramp since.Ask your rheumi he will be able to help you.I suffered in silence for a long time....so get help.Let me know.

Love n hoping your cramp goes soon.
    Amanda.xxxxxxxxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Almost every time I ever get cramps like that, especially in the calves, it was because my Potassium was too low.

It sure wouldn't hurt to give your doctor's office a call and at least mention it to the nurse. If it is low Potassium, you don't want to go too long, as it can mess up your Sodium and fluids...everything starts getting out of balance. They may want to run some labs to check your Potassium. In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to eat a banana or two before bed. That's what I used to do, and it helped me make it through the night.

I remember how terrible that can hurt, especially in the middle of the night...out of a deep sleep. I know they hurt so bad and are hard to even touch when it's happening, but you might try massaging the area. Where ever the cramp is happening, you're supposed to massage, gently, towards the nearest joint. And also do this the next day, when you get the spasms or quivering. See if that helps some.

Sorry you're going through this, Bonita. Gentle hugs to you

Fondly,

Lori

Thanks

Oh, how I know what you mean!! I get it in my fingers, toes, feet and calves. The pain is unbearable! I'm just seeing a rheumy for the first time on Monday, so hopefully I'll be able to find something out. I'll let you know. Best of luck to you in the mean time.
    Danice

Blog Entries
    Thanks

thank you everyone for the kind words and i go to the rheumatologist on the 6th og August and i have a whole list of things that i want answers to because the month of July has not been good to me. Love Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi bonita,

as lori said, low potassium can definitely cause muscle cramps. I often try increasing the bananas in my diet, this usually helps.

also, i have this little incredible secret that i will share with you all. At your medical supply store, you can get a U shaped bracket that fits between your mattress and box springs at the foot of the bed. The sheets, and any other covers are placed over the bracket. The top of the U shape provides a tent to keep the weight of the covers off of your feet. You will not believe the relief....it is always instantenous and is truly worth the investment and the hassle of making the bed over this thing.

whenever i am having trouble with feet/leg cramps, i pull this thing out of the closet and use it for a few weeks.....i strongly suggest that you try one for yourself and see if it will help. The drs. at the Mayo clinic are who recommended this bracket to me. I apologize, but i do not remember the official name, but hopefully you will be able to describe it to the store personnel.

glad you see your rheumy on the 6th, i hope your questions get answered, and you get some relief.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

As everyone has said make sure they are checking your potassium.....also have your magnesium level checked. My kidneys because of the lupus nephritis do not hold postassium and magnesium and I have to take both daily for the rest of my life. If they get to low then cramping does set in!
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!

Thanks

I was having the same problem after my rheumy started me on cell cept (generic) and it progresively got worse, along with quite a few other side effects while trying to taper me off the prednisone slowly, after seeing my rheumy again he took me off the cell cept and put me back on 40mg prednisone, put me back on quinacrine, and back to 500mg plaquenel twice daily instead of once all the side effects slowly went or are still going away. The cramps that I went through were almost unbearable. Tough guy huh haha. I don't know what meds you are on but I hope some of this helps. God Bless. Jim.
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3