Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roller Coaster Analogy

Thanks

Default Roller Coaster Analogy

Many times I've made the comment "my life is like a roller coaster ride." I was thinking this morning just how much it really is like one.

Heading up the first big hill of a roller coaster you have that anxious feeling. Although you are heading up, you know that it will only be a short time before you plummet back down.

Even when you are at top of the hill, during that wonderful, safe moment when time seems to stand still and you are on top of the world looking around at the beauty, you still know that the plunge is coming so you can't even truly enjoy that moment.

Then comes the down hill...the terrifying drop that seems like it will never end. The sick feeling that comes with not knowing where the bottom is.

And you recover just in time to start heading back up hill again.

Just when you get accustomed to the ups and downs and think you can handle them, suddently out of nowhere comes a sharp curve to the left that almost flings you out of your seat.

Now your thoughts are consumed with wondering when the next curve will surprise you.

You think you can handle the hills and are on guard for the curves so you are feeling more under control when you are completely flipped upside down by a loopty-loop!

Your head is still spinning when the ride comes to a stop and you breathe a sigh of relief because it's over. You realize your buckle is locked. As the ride starts again you scream "Stop! I want to get off!" But no one has the key.

And as you head up hill again you look around and realize you are on a completely different ride...

More unknown.

One day someone will find the key.

Ang

Blog Entries
    Thanks

wow angie,

your description was so accurate, i actually felt the quizzy stomach that goes along with this ride.

yes, our lives are like a roller coaster ride....this is why you will see many of us refer to "always changing our normal". What was is not anymore, and no one know what will be tomorrow....we are along for the ride.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

You beautifully stated the truth here and I also felt the tummy flop as I read it. I also started to remember the times in my life when I was at each stage of the ride and how even after all these years, I am still flipped upside down when I least expect it. One thing I can say for this life we are all living in is that over time, for me at least, I can recognize the trip up and the beauty that awaits at the top of the hill. I am able to appreciate it, even thought it is temporary, it is magnificent and there are so many people who do not realize just how beautiful it is at the top of this hill. As I head down and go through twists and turns of life and this disease, I am able to hold on to that image at the top and remember the feeling of awe as I looked at the beauty surrounding me. I take this with me and remember that I will be at the top again and the beauty will surround me once more
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

Your writing, your expression, a day, a year times even a minute in the life of Lupus...how eloquent...Ang...

Thank you,
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

danica,

this is exactly what i do....i cherish the times at the top and relish in the beauty of life, then as i dive down, i take with me the knowledge that i will eventually be sitting on top again.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Phyllis, it really gets us through all of this doesn't it?
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Blog Entries
    Thanks

there are times when this appreciation for the top of the roller coaster is the only thing that gets us through all of this.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I thought I liked roller coasters until I realized what it's like to LIVE one. :P Very well said that the moment at the top of the hill makes us able to endure the rest!

Ang

Thanks

I must say ladies, i really LIKED and APPRECIATED this thread. I am with all of you on your posts!!!!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I, frequently try to live in the moment, so I have experienced the top of the hill beauty and I have also experienced the terrible low moments of life. How have I kept my sanity? Only God knows.