Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here have to self-cath?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Does anyone here have to self-cath?

Does anyone here have to selfcath to empty your bladder occasionally? It looks like I'm going to have to start doing that soon and I'd really like to talk to someone who has to do it now.

LOVE
    me
    32 YO Wife, Mother and Advocate
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

You can find me on facebook at www.facebook.com/sororenotis
    Please tell me you are from here and who you are if you add me there.

I work full time and Leader for International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement
    http://www.iaamovement.org/

Thanks

Hi Anna,

I am sorry that you have to cath yourself. I do not, so I can't help you, but I am going to stop complaining, that I have to pee every 30 minutes. I can see now, that I have the better end of the bargain.
    Do you mind telling me, why you have to do it, I mean I know why, but why can't you empty your bladder? Is it because of lupus?

Debbie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Debbie
    Needing to pee every 30 minutes is just as bad. Why do you have to do that? Does a lot come out? Do you feel urinary urgency? Have you seen a urologist about this? If you have an overractive bladder there are some good treatments for that -

I have Detrusor Sphincter Dyssynergia. Essentially, there is a neurological communication problem somewhere between my brain and my bladder so urination is by default very difficult. When my bladder is full its hard to start peeing and this creates pressure in my urinary system. I take Flomax for this which helped improve but I still cannot empty my bladder all the way which means frequent bladder and kidney infections. THis problem has not been linked to my lupus - however, the increased risk of infection has.

Self-Cathing is supposed to to make it so that I empty my bladder fully at least once a day.

But ugh... I'm sure you've had a catheter at least once in your life... they hurt
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks

Default Anna

Soooooo sorry you are going to have to do this. I am not in your situation, but have been cathed many times before. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Is there no other option for you at this point?
    Life is measured not by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justomegirlindallas View Post
    Hi Debbie
    Needing to pee every 30 minutes is just as bad. Why do you have to do that? Does a lot come out? Do you feel urinary urgency? Have you seen a urologist about this? If you have an overractive bladder there are some good treatments for that -

I have Detrusor Sphincter Dyssynergia. Essentially, there is a neurological communication problem somewhere between my brain and my bladder so urination is by default very difficult. When my bladder is full its hard to start peeing and this creates pressure in my urinary system. I take Flomax for this which helped improve but I still cannot empty my bladder all the way which means frequent bladder and kidney infections. THis problem has not been linked to my lupus - however, the increased risk of infection has.

Self-Cathing is supposed to to make it so that I empty my bladder fully at least once a day.

But ugh... I'm sure you've had a catheter at least once in your life... they hurt
    Yes I have been to a urologist, I do have an over active bladder, but he thinks it is better for me, to just go 20 times a day, because of edema in the upper part of my body, hands, arms, chest and face. When I am at work, I don't drink anything for 8 hours, because I don't always have a chance to go to the bathroom, but boy when I come home from work I am very dehydrated. I know that is not good either, but what can I do?
    I really feel for you, yes I have had a cath before, they do hurt. I am sorry that you have to go through this crap. But I understand that you have to do it, to prevent infections, which could be dangerous. Good luck to you.

xxxx Debbie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi justomegirlindallas,

i have a very good friend who has MS, and she has to cathater herself every night. Seems not to be a big problem for her, but she has been doing this for years. I will be happy to ask her any questions that you might have, so just send to me and i will try to get answers. I am also sure that she will be happy to talk to you on the phone if you would prefer.

Hopefully, there is a way that self-cathatering is less painful than what we endure in the hospital. I know my friend does not suffer with pain from it.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Oh im sorry you are going through this and hope from the help on here so far,it helps you.

Thinking of you
    Love Amanda.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

I can not imagine what that is like! I am so sorry you have to do this but I am sure, just like everything else, you will get used to it after a while.....I hope. Hopefully someone will come in a tell you they do it to. It is always helpful to have someone to talk to who is going through what you are going though. If not, just keep talking to us and we will be here for you through the whole thing!!!!! I wish you didn't have to do this but if it makes you feel better, it is worth it! I am sending you encouraging thoughts and gentle hugs tonight
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks again for your responses. I was back into the hospital for a few days after this for non epileptic siezurse and out of wack heartrate. My residuals have dropped down so we postponed catheterizing as the Flowmax might be kicking in finally.