Thread: pericarditis

Thanks

Default pericarditis

I am having a really bad case of pericarditis which is slow at responding to 50mg prednisone. Is there anything else the doctor can do

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Rollande:
    Pericarditis (inflammation of the sac around the heart) is the most common disease involving the heart in people with lupus. It occurs when the lining of the pericardium is attacked by autoantibodies and becomes inflamed. The usual. Pericarditis is a swelling and irritation of the pericardium, the thin sac-like membrane that surrounds your heart. This condition causes chest pain and other signs and symptoms.
    Corticosteroids are generally used in pericarditis caused by systemic lupus erythematosus. Analgesics (painkillers such as aspirin or acetaminophen) are also may be given. People who have repeated episodes of pericarditis are often treated with an anti-inflammatory drug called colchicine. When a bacterial infection is one of the underlying causes of pericarditis, you'll be treated with antibiotics and drainage if necessary (as well as with corticosteroids).
    If the pericarditis recurs, removal of all or part of the pericardium (pericardiectomy) may be necessary. In the case of constrictive pericarditis, the pericardiectomy may be necessary to remove the stiffened parts of the pericardium that are preventing the heart from beating correctly.
    I hope that I've been helpful to you
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie