Thread: Medrol

Thanks

Default Medrol

I start a quick round (six days) of Medrol today (oral) while we wait for test results - due towrds the end of this week or early next.

Any thoughts on this medicine? I saw some posts on the injetable form, including speculation that it is used in part diagnostically - that SLE respons to the drug but other conditions may not respond.

your thoughts on the oral?

Also, with such a short term can I expect to be spared from those nasty prednisone side effects?
    much love to all my lupie friends -

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi karenboss,

my dr. has given me two injections of Medrol because i was in such a severe flare, and needed immediate relief. the shots were 4 months apart, and each time i immediately felt much better. However, i did balloon out just like with the oral. Also, my insurance did not pay all of the bill for the injection, and it cost me $90.00.

My dr. gave me my first injection at the time we were diagnosing my SLE...she said that this med is sometimes used to help with the diagnosis process "because lupus reponds to this med when other diseases don't".

i have not taken any more injections since starting Methotrexate.

i hope you feel better very soon.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Well, let me just say that for all the bad press that this stuff gets, it sure is working for me. Maybe it's just nervous energy, which i've heard it can do, but I feel better - more awake - than I have in a long time. Most of the joint pain is gone - it is all diminished and the mouth blisters are healing up.

I wonder how long the effects will last once I am off of it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi karen,

if my memory is half correct, you can repeat medrol treatment every 3 or 4 months. i don't know if this is the case for pill form.

i am so glad you are feeling better.....medrol helped me get out of a terrible flare, so i understand your enthusiasm.

good luck....keep up the good work....you are taking care of you.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

I have been on medrol for about 1.5 years cause I did not teooerate the prednisone (mood swings and such). It can be taken continuously and not just in the boost packs (as I call them). The med decreases inflamation and covers up the pain. I am now on Imuran and they are trying to taper the Medrol down now.

Good Luck,
    Money cannot buy you happiness but it can buy you a big enough boat to allow you to pull up along side it!!! - David Lee Roth

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I am on a round of Medrol right now (6 days) and let me tell you, I feel like a new woman! I can take a full breath and I don't feel every move my body is making. I had forgotten what it felt like not to feel horrible every moment of every day! Although I am finding it difficult to sleep (they made me take a break from the ambien to see if it caused the newest form of the rash) this drug was a miracle worker for me!

My question is this: How long will this last? How long after the round of meds is finished will I still feel good? Does it end when the meds end or a week later? Will I have a good month? I know that no one knows for sure but can someone give me an estimate? I know that steroids are not good for you in the long term but this is amazing to me. I take 9 meds every day that help with side effects but not one of them has made me feel better until this one.

On a side note, thank you to everyone that posts here. You have no idea how much your posts help ease fears and answer questions of even those that don't post often. I will be eternally thankful for finding all of you here

Thanks

I may be in the minority, but I've found over the last few years that Medrol doesn't work well enough for me when I'm in a major flare. The first two days, with the bigger dose does make a difference, but by tapering it off, I get stuck mid-flare. Not worse, but not better either. As much as I hate it, when I'm in a bad flare, the only thing that helps me is prednisone, 40mg to start. I SO wish I was more like those of you who feel so much better with Medrol!!
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Thanks

t Gal -
    I've been on it twice - felt like you the first time and not so great the second time. the first time I felt good for at least 3 weeks after. It was perfect too becasue we had our national sales meetings and it was a lot of work and play that would have really worn me out otherwise. Hope your experience goes well and you have relief for a looooong time!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Well it was great while it lasted but as with most good things right now it was short lived. Days 1, 2 and 3 I felt like my old self! I spent the day walking a flea market with my daughter. We had so much fun! I knew by the end of the 3rd day that things were about to start going downhill and they did. Dose pack is over and I am back to having breathing difficulties, my knees and hands are swelling and sore again, I am getting more tired every day and now I have thrush!

The good news is that I now know that it is possible to feel good again. I wasn't sure I would every feel "normal" again but I did for 3 days. It brought me hope even if it didn't bring me healing. That is worth a lot.