Thread: Rituxan

Thanks

Default Rituxan

Has anyone had any experience with Rituxan?
    My hematologist is contemplating putting me in a clinical trial of Rituxan (because it hasnt been approved for the PBS, so wayyyy too expensive to buy) to help with my platelets, depending on the results of my blood test they are re running tonight.
    Apparently it will involve about 4 IV transfusions over about 6 weeks, and has fairly long lasting effects.
    I dont know anything else about it apart from what i have been reading on the net...so just thought i would ask!!
    *~* Monique *~*

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi monique,

i don't have personal experience with rituxan. I was doing some research yesterday, and found an article that said it had failed 3 times as a treatment for lupus.

hope others will be along who can give you more answers.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

i've had several rounds of rituxan and it went just fine. i've done both rituxan and cytoxan back to back for several weeks at a time and i much prefer the rituxan. i'd even choose rituxan over prednisone!

good luck and i hope this helps.

Thanks

My insurance company has given me the green light for Rituximab(rituxan).

I will let you know how it goes in a month or 2.

Edit: Tuesday is D-day for my first Rituximab injection.
    Second edit: I had a severe reaction to the Rituximab. I almost died.

Rituxan can cause severe, including fatal, infusion reactions. Severe reactions typically occurred during the first infusion with time to onset of 30-120 minutes. Rituxan-induced infusion reactions and sequelae include urticaria, hypotension,angioedema, hypoxia, bronchospasm, pulmonary infiltrates, acute respiratory distress syndrome, myocardial infarction, ventricular fibrillation, cardiogenic shock, or anaphylactoid events.

It's also contra-indicated in patients with a history of angioedema (facial and lip swelling).
    Last edited by jfal; 08-14-2009 at 02:44 PM.
    Murphy was an optimist.

O'Toole's Commentary on Murphy's Law

Thanks

Hi All, I was given my first two dosage of rituximab in December and still awaiting for it to kick in and start working. My reaction to the IV was not too bad...was real scarred at first but all was ok. How long did it take to kick it and start working for you guys? I'm desperate to get off the steriods....I've put on over 4 stones and feel very uncomfortable with all this weight. I'm desperate for this to work as my body has not been able to tolerate the other medications. I have read that some of you guys have been on cytoxan...how has it been? Is it better than rituximab? I hope to hear from you all soon. Take care for now. June xxx