Thread: cytoplasmic staining?

Thanks

Default cytoplasmic staining?

What does this mean? I finally got the reumatoligist to mail me my test results. It says...... ANA screening is negative,however cytoplasmic staining was observed. possible AMA (antimitochrindrial antibody)or ASMA(antismooth muscle antibody) may be present, further studies are suggested. uric acid was 2.1 glucose was 145 HGB 11.1 HCT 32.9 sed rate 19.

Thanks

I've been doing my own research. Should I be looking at tests for PBC?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Momto12;
    Your question was very complicated :-) Here is what I've been able to find out:
    The Cytoplasm is the protoplasm of a cell exclusive of the nucleus, it consists of a continuous aqueos solution (called the cytosol) of the organelles and inclusions which are suspended in it. It is the site of most of the chemical activities of the cell. Cytoplasmic staining has to do with anti-neutrophil antibodies (ANCA) which are antibodies directed against the cytoplasmic components of neutrophil (a white blood cell, a form of granulocyte filled with neutrally-staining granules, tiny sacs of enqymes that help the cell to kill and digest microorganisms it has engulfed by phagocytosis). Anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies are detected by immunofluorescence on ethanol fixed neutrophils, producing a characteristic staining pattern within the cytoplasm. Two main patters can be distinguished: 1. cytoplasmic pattern of course granular flourescence with anticytoplasmic antibodies (c-ANCA) 2. perinuclear pattern (p-ANCA).
    A negative ANA may NOT exclude other auto immune conditions such as polymyositis as it is classically associated with a negative ANA and cytoplasmic staining. The AMA and ASMA are tests that your doctor is considering. Mitochondrial are normal structures called organelles in cells located in the cytoplasm. They are responsible for energy production. They consist of two sets of membranes, a smooth continous outer coat and an inner membrane arranged is tubules or in folds. the test is a serological test that measures the level of antibodies in that portion of the cell. An ANCA (Anti-neutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibodies) test is usually done with two others (C3 levels and titers of anti GBM antibodies). A positive test may mean:
    -Wegener's granulomatosis (C-ANCA)
    -Microspcopic polyarteritis nodosa (P-ANCA)
    -Remal-limited crescentic GN (P-ANCA)
    -Churg-Strauss (P-ANCA)
    -Goodpasture's syndrome (P-ANCA)
    -Primary sclerosing cholangitis
    Low titers (the degree of dilution of a substance such as an antibody, reflecting teh strenght of the solution) may mean
    -Anti GBM
    -Inflammatory bowel Disease
    -Primary Biliary cirrhosis
    With reference to your question about the last condition (PBC), since you seem to have many of its symptoms (itching, pain swelling), it appears that your doctors' suggested tests (esp mitochondrial antibodies) will already take that condition into consideration. 95% of patients with PBC have a positive test!
    Wow - that was really complicated to sort out. I hope that I was able to break it down for you. Let me know if you need a better explanation - I will try to break it down some more :-)
    Peace
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thank you so much. I know that took a lot of time. where do you find al this info. I spent hours and didn't come across this much! I have read your reply several times and plan to take a copy wth me this morning along with other research I've done to my doctor. I really don't think I need this MRI done to rule out MS until these other results are in. i hope he agrees. Bless You!

Thanks

Suysusie you go girlfriend! That's what I like about this site. If you don't know the answer someone else will. Keep up the good work.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

thank you both - yes it did take quite a while to get the answers to that one :-) However, I want to help as much as I can. So, I am more than willing and very happy to spend hours and hours researching for all of you. That is part of the reason why we set up this site.
    Bless you both and Momto12, let me know how the doctor's appointment goes!
    Peace
    Saysusie

Thanks

The doctor insisted I have the MRI. I'm waiting on the phone call that he promised TODAY with the results. He seemed to know very little about the AMA and ASMA.....He did go ahead and add them to the list of things to be tested from the additional 4 vials of blood they took yesterday. The bloodwork results should be back by friday. I'm trying to just stay busy and not think too much about it...but that's not been too easy. I jump every time the phone rings. I expect the MRI to be normal.....but will sure be relieved to know for sure. I have such mixed feelings.....MS really sounds like the least serious of the many things being considered at this time. I will let you know when I get any answers at all about what's going on.

Thanks

Saysusie, Your words of blessing made me feel so much better.Tthank you! The MRI was normal......Now waiting on the new antibody studies. The doctor said that I definately have something going on with my immune system, it's just a matter of time and patience to determine what it is. I just want to find out so that I can get started treating whatever it is! I have this feeling that it is Lupus......I just want to know what has been affected already and stop further damage!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Momto12;
    I am thinking of you every day and you are in my prayers. I know that all is in divine order and that you are one with all that is good, perfect, whole and complete!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank God for the normal MRI!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now, you are in the waiting game :-( That scenario that we have all been through. A year or more of testing to find out if you truly do have Lupus and/or one of the other auto-immune diseases! Be patient and look at the small blessings - the ruling out of so many other frightening possible diagnoses!
    Take it a day at a time and know that, we are here for you!
    Peace
    Saysusie