Thread: elevation

Thanks

Default elevation

As I have posted previously I am in the process of relocating from Klamath Falls, Or. down to Oroville, Ca. When I am down there I feel better, sometimes it takes almost a week to feel better but I eventually do. Can any one explain this to me? I come up to Klamath Falls which is at an elevation of around 4300 ft. and after about a 12 hr period I start to feel a bit fatigued, along with other symtoms that seem to get worse, I keep thinking it is all in my head but it does seem to be a patern every time. I think I am going nuts, or I have been there for a while and just didn't realize it haha.
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3

Thanks

Hello friend,
    I'm not really sure why, but I've noticed that I feel quite a lot better when I get out of San Antonio. I suspect that my problem is with allergies. I have horrible allergies here. When we traveled to the Catskills in NY, I felt wonderful! I could breathe, and my joints felt so much better. I had the energy to go hiking with my hubby.
    I also felt wonderful in Hawaii. I noticed a few more problems in Japan, and I think that it was a combination of jet-lag and high humidity.
    Our theory is that the allergies put an extra strain on the immune system, so it is much better to be in a spot where the allergies are fewer. That's one of the reasons that I'm really looking forward to moving to Monerey!
    Marla

Thanks

any more I don't know whats alergies and what might be the lupus with the dry itchy eyes and all, oh well, it should be a bit cooler in Monterey, when did you say you were moving?
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3

Thanks

Scubagramlit...Hey...How goes it?

Research if there is a difference in barometric pressure between the two places. I have read along my trails of literature that it may have affect on Lupus..

Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Well, the higher the elevation the thinner the air - that's why an airplane is pressurized - so even a few hundred feet can make you feel lightheaded, fatigued, &/or sleepy.

Thanks

Oluwa, things not going bad so far this morning, the normal light headache, I head back to Oroville today, there is about a 3500 ft elevation difference, I will do some checking.

Karenboss, you are in Boise? I was just in Meridian last week, I did well up untill the last day, might have been a little stress and oops, overate Chicago connection pizza, it was good though, how long have you been in Boise? I was born in Mountain Home, after my sophmore year we moved up to feathervill(south fork of the Boise river, Anderson ranch reservoir).

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Jim,

That is kind of odd. If you were getting sick when GOING to a higher elevation, I'd say it was mild altitude sickness. But you live at 4300ft, and should be quite used to it, and, most people don't even feel the effects of altitude anyway until they get to the 5280'/mile-high mark. But you are going to a lower elevation.

The one thing I can think of from my climbing days is the fact that the average person takes 5-7 days for their blood to adjust itself to significant changes in altitude. Maybe your blood oxygen concentration is adjusting to the lower altitude/dense air, and it's somehow beneficial, so you feel better after being there long enough to acclimate. Then you go back to 4300ft and after you acclimate again, it's not beneficial and you feel sick.

Anyway, that's just a SWAG on my part. Btw, I don't think you are crazy, because I am, and I haven't seen you at any of the meetings.

Rob

Thanks

No not Boise actually - Meridian - holy cow - were you at the lineman college here in So. Meridian? It is about two miles from my house - If it was the end of last week that heat could have contributed to your not feeling well? Yesterday was 105 -

Klamath Falls is so beautiful (and cool) What a nice place to relocate to!

We have only lived in the area for four years, we're planning a move next month to our new house in Eagle. My Sissy lives in Portland, Mom is still in Nor Cal (Sierras near Jackson)

Thanks

Karen; yes I was at the Northwest Lineman college for a week of training, I am currently an instructor at the Oroville Ca. campus. too bad we didn't know this ahead of time we could have met, oh well, there quite possibly could be another somewhere in the future.
    Rob; Thanks for the insight, and maybe send me some info on how to start another meeting place in Oroville