Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Border Crossing for Pills

Thanks

Default Border Crossing for Pills

Has anyone from the USA crossed into Canada to get their prescriptions filled.

Difficult? Easy? Quality drugs?

Anything I should know about? Avoid?

Any recommended pharmacy? Referral of a co-signing doctor there?

Pros? Cons?

My plans are to obtain a prescription for Provigil, Nuvigil or the generic..Modafini from my USA doctor, have it co-signed and filled in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

Thank you very, very much.
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Well, my mother gets most of her scripts filled in Canada, but she has dual citizenship, so I think it's different as far as paperwork goes. Make sure you have a passport, as it's now required to get back into the US. The quality of the meds she gets are as good as anything she can get in the states. I wish I knew more, I'll ask her the particulars when I see her this weekend.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi oluwa,

i am so glad you started this thread. I don't have any experience with getting meds from canada, but i am anxious to hear what others say. I have heard the concern that the meds are different and that ingredients aren't as controlled as in USA...
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Before everything broke loose in Mexico, I used to go pick up meds across the boarder. I have never had a problem doing this but I have not tried Canada and I am guessing it is a bit different up there. Please let me know what you think. I just lost my health insurance and would be very interested in how well this goes over and the paper work needed to get it done. Thank for posting this Oluwa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

Rob, thank you I would like that very much to hear what your Mom has done...Love, Oluwa

So far I turn up..

From the few pharmacies I called, you need a Canadian doctor to co-signed the prescription. Charge - average $40.00 for 2 - 4 prescriptions to be co-signed.

Each pharmacy referred me to a doctor. Two stating they are not sure if 'he does it anymore.' Illegal or legal I wonder? One said yes, there is a doctor in the same building...

I asked if my husband could do the transaction for me at the pharmacy, buy it...they said yes, but with the doctor co-signing and that would be up to him. One said yes, the doctor they referred me to does make that exception. Maybe doctor records from here would need to be faxed. I didn't call any doctors yet for exact information..Monday.

The pharmacies I called have more than one pharmacy in the providence and in Windsor, the city...so...seems legit.

That particular drug, Provigil is under a different name in Canada, Alertec.

When I made my query one pharmacy said they carried Provigil, didn't make any mention that it was Alertec, quoted me a price for generic and brand Provigil. Another pharmacy said they never heard of Provigil, so that is what sent me on a name search and in Canada it is sold as Alertec only from my reads. So, was the first pharmacist wrong or scamming or perhaps, had the wrong drug name and was just quoting me an incorrect drug.?

I will resume inquiring on Monday....and let you guys know what I turnip..lol.

You're welcome...Danica and Phyllis.

Love,
    Oluwa

Thanks

Oluwa,
    I never tried to do what you are doing, but I used to work for a Canadian company and occasionally got sick and/or needed drugs while i was there. I would have no concerns whatsoever about the quality of the drugs; in fact, if anything theirs might be a little better!

One option you might have - if you can't get a doc to co-sign before you get up there - would be to go to an urgent care clinic. The one i went to in Toronto was right next to a drug store, was very efficient, not that expensive, and I could just walk into the drugstore and get everything filled.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thanks

I didnt know you could get meds from Canada, well I'll just have to look into that. Thats very interesting.

Chriss
    Live, love, and most importantly be grateful!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I know this isnt very helpful but i thought id might share away,
    When i go over to Wales (if i was a paying customer for meds) i wouldnt have to pay the full 12 per script i think it is now, they charge 4-6 when this rule come into play, soundly all my friends started taking short break holidays to Wales...haha i thought whats the point the traverlin is gonna cost a bomb from here to there anyway, unles you live in liverpool theres no way anyone would benefit from it.

haha

ISDM
    xx
    **The next or $ raised WILL be the cure for LUPUS**

☺☻If YoU gOt OcD aNd YoU kNoW iT....wAsH yA hAnDs☺☻

..♪♫**.❤.**☆.。.*✿♪♫**.❤.**☆.。 .*✿

Thanks

very handy for you, eh? And if memory serves, it's perfectly legal to buy scripts for your own use in Canada - I know there was a big flap about this a few years ago, and I believe that either the law was changed or they elected not to enforce it.

Thanks

The drugs without insurance covering the cost it is a lot less than the USA in Canada. Provigil isn't covered by my insurance and many other insurers because they won't pay for off label prescription. It is only prescribed for sleep apnea, narcolepsy and shirt workers...

It is supposed to help with alertness and fatigue...

But I find it odd, that being the case...with sleep apnea provide an oxygen machine and with shift workers a sleeping pill..maybe it isn't as simple as that, but hey neither is Lupus fatigue..here, here, here...

Before USA customs would confiscate the drugs brought in from Canada, script or not.., though the law hasn't changed they are to turn a blind eye is the new rule...

I won't be going to Canada..I am in South Carolina...to fly there I won't be a saving. My husband travels to London, Ontario...so, we want to arrange it so he will be able to have it filled on my behave..

Keep well everyone...Be well..
    Love,
    Oluwa