Thread: SLE hand tendons shrinking

Thanks

Default SLE hand tendons shrinking

New here and I'd like to hear from others who have looked into corrective hand surgury or someone who has done it. I'm currently procrastinating the call to a hand surgeon and am using my 3 little ones as an excuse. Anyone.................? Thanks in advance!

Thanks

With three little ones, I can understand your reluctance to have one or both hands out of commission for a bit! Talk a lot with your doc about this - you may find that the outcome is worth the few weeks one-handed. You may decide that it isn't worth it at this point. Some of the links on the board may help you as well.

This isn't something I have any familiarity with, hopefully Saysusie or one of the others will be able to assist you.

Welcome, twinneplus1, I'm just here to offer a hug, a shoulder, and a cup of tea....

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Twinniesplus1 :lol:
    You did not say what other symptoms you were having besides the shrinking tendons. It sounds as if you may have carpel tunnel syndrome which, while not common, is found to affect some lupus and arthritis patients. Any action that causes swelling, thickening or irritation of the synovial membranes around the tendons in the carpal tunnel can result in pressure on the median nerve. Some common causes and associated conditions include repetitive and forceful grasping with the hands; repetitive bending of the wrist; video game playing; improper resting of the wrists when typing on a keyboard; motorcycle or bicycle riding; broken or dislocated bones in the wrist which produce swelling; arthritis, especially the rheumatoid type; thyroid gland imbalance; sugar diabetes; hormonal changes associated with menopause; and pregnancy. Although any of these factors may be present, in many cases the specific cause cannot be identified.
    You could also suffer from tendinosis (which is also not uncommon in Lupus patients). Tendon pain is actually a symptom of tendinosis, a series of microtears in the connective tissue in or around the tendon. In addition to pain and tenderness, common symptoms of tendon microinjury include decreased strength and movement in the affected area.
    You should probably speak to your doctor about the condition in order to get tested for a proper diagnosis and treatment.
    I wish you the best of luck
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Thanks SaySusie

I'll have my rheumy check it all out. The radiologist said I now have RA in my hands as well. Calling to get in with a hand surgeon just for advice. Will keep you informed.

Sheri

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Let us know how it goes!!

Best of Luck
    Saysusie