Thread: Pleurisy

Thanks

Default Pleurisy

I know all of you that has been on site has probaly talked about this subject. "Pleuisy" I have had it over and over again. But each time it feeels like the first, you kind of know what is happening, but it hurts so bad I think during my coughing I may have broken a rib or two. I called my doc right away we were trying to head it off. She ordered antibiotic and strong cough medicine. But like always, I don't think we did. I feel so terrible I don't know what to do. My children tried to take me to the hospital, but I would not go!...you guys know the drill. Don't get me wrong hospitals are good but the ER know nothing about Lupus.
    I did agree to have X-Rays tomorrow, CXR (chest) and Rib X-Rays. I am wheezing like crazy, and pulled out an old rib belt to get me though the coughs.
    Will someone please tell me their experiences with pleurisy and how they were treated though their Doc's??? I thought I remembered in the past that my steoids were increase to help me get over the hump.
    Boy am I out of work right now, you know the SSI thing, because I would not know what to do. Someone help if you can!
    Mona

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Pleurisy

Mona;
    Most pleurisy associated with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus is treated with NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as Asprin and ibuprofen (not acetaminophens). Also, doctors will prescribe corticosteroids, such as prednisone, hydrocortisone, methylprednisolone or dexmethasone)
    Pleurisy is an inflammation of the lining of the thin membrane sac that covers the lungs (pleura). When it is inflammed, fluid accumulates in the pleral space. This causes sever stabbing pain when taking a deep breath, coughing or laughing.
    There is also a condition related to pleurisy and Lupus known as Pneumonitis/Interstitial Lung Disease (also called acute lupus pneumonitis). this is an inflammation within the lung tissues. This can be cause by and infection or just by the Lupus itself. Signs and symptoms of this condition are:
    Shortness of breath
    Dry cough
    Pleuritic pain
    blood-tinges sputum
    This condition is usually treated with high dose corticosteroids along with other immunosuppressant drugs, such as Imuran If this condition goes untreated, it can cause scarring of the lung decreasing its efficiency. It is suggested that you be treated for this condition if you have chronic, non-productive cough, pleuritis-like chest pains,and difficulty breathing, especially on exertion.
    I hope that I have been helpful!
    best of luck
    Saysusie