Thread: Gotta go to the dr......

Thanks

Default Gotta go to the dr......

I have an emergency appointment to see my rheumatologist tomorrow. I hope she can give me something and some peace of mind. I have had lupus for 8 years and Ive had my ups and downs, but all in all I would say that my lupus is under control??? Anyway, I dont typically have flares... they are ranging like 1 flare every 2 to 3 years. Well, at the moment i am experiencing a little lupus nephritis and it is blowing me. My legs, feet, ankles, and belly are swollen. ive picked up about 20lbs of water weight. I feel like I weigh a ton. Im already taking 20mg of lasik every other day which might I add is not helping. Should I be trying to put my feet up or something?? I have been it doesnt seem to make much of a difference because as soon as i put my feet down or stand for longer than 10 minutes my feet are swollen 3x their size and my legs are screaming for mercy, lol. Any suggestions to get me through the day??? Thanks in advance.

Chriss
    Live, love, and most importantly be grateful!!

Currently still in Weston Village, Runcorn, United Kindom
    Thanks

hey sorry to hear about your pain and swelling..
    I have no tips but thought I just post you a hugg.. keep your chin up... good luck at the Dr. 2mo
    x
    The worse the bad times are the more we appreciate the good things in life..

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Generally, when edema is that pronounced with Lupus Nephritis, doctors will start the patient of steroidal treatment (usually Prednisone or Prednilisone) and immunosuppressant drugs. The treatment goal is to improve kidney function which will, in turn, reduce the edema.
    With reference to what you can do at home to relieve the edema, here are some suggestions that have been made previously:
    1) Mustard oil may be an effective home remedy for edema. Take some warm mustard oil and rub it on the affected areas. Soak 2 teaspoons of mustard seeds in water and apply the solution to the affected areas. Drinking apple cider vinegar helps to remove excess fluid in the body cells and cavities.
    2) Eat food that has low carbohydrate in it, because carbohydrate has more water content. Eat protein and fat rich food. Avoid fruits and vegetables because they increase the fluid level in the body. Eat low-sodium diet because medicines will be ineffective if you eat high-sodium diet.
    3) Exercise regularly by trying to keep your body engaged in physical activities. This will help you to get rid of excessive fluid in body cells and cavities. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. For swollen feet & legs, stretch out your legs on a table and keep them slightly raised with the support of a pillow.

I hope that this has been a bit helpful to you. Perhaps someone else will come along with other suggestions.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thx, Saysusie my nephrologist hiked up my prednisone to 80mg about 3 wks ago and then last week reduced it to 60mg. But he didnt explain what else neede to be done for this situation he gave me propanolol 20mg and lasik 20mg, propanolol is to be taken 2x a day and the lasik is every other day, he said that the 2 together could rob me of my minerals and dehydrate me. So I guess its his "safe approach" but my symptoms arent getting any better. I need some relief, Im gonna try these remedies that you suggested any advice helps. So do you think my rheumatologist will be able to help me tomorrow or are my hopes up for nothing????

Thanks Chriss
    Live, love, and most importantly be grateful!!