Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irritable bowel syndrome

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Irritable bowel syndrome

Hi everyone,

a while back, someone was talking about lupus and IBS...i can not find this original thread, but i wanted more information on the BRAT diet and how that plan works and when to follow the diet. I also would like any website recommendations.

thanks everyone, hope all of you are having a great day.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Hi Phyllis, ( http://www.ibsresearchupdate.org/IBS/diet1ie4.html )

hope today is a little better for you.I carnt find it so i got this,see if its helpful.
    love Amanda.xxxx
    http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/
    Or this site above.x
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Phyllis,
    Since I have IBS and since I remember posting something about the IBS diet recently, I think you are looking for me. The BRAT diet is not a permanent diet. It is used for someone who is suffering from the following kind of symptoms: severe diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, upset stomach. BRAT stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. There are also the BRATT (Tea) and BRATTY (Yogurt) versions. This is a good website to explain the BRAT diet. http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/brat-diet Do you have IBS? Usually with IBS, I have to follow a hifh fiber diet to keep the flares away. When I am flaring, I then switch to either the BRAT, Low-Residue or Bland Foods diet until I can settle back down. Good luck on getting your tummy to settle down.
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SandyR View Post
    Phyllis,
    Since I have IBS and since I remember posting something about the IBS diet recently, I think you are looking for me. The BRAT diet is not a permanent diet. It is used for someone who is suffering from the following kind of symptoms: severe diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, upset stomach. BRAT stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. There are also the BRATT (Tea) and BRATTY (Yogurt) versions. This is a good website to explain the BRAT diet. http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/brat-diet Do you have IBS? Usually with IBS, I have to follow a hifh fiber diet to keep the flares away. When I am flaring, I then switch to either the BRAT, Low-Residue or Bland Foods diet until I can settle back down. Good luck on getting your tummy to settle down.
    Sandy
    I also suffer from IBS and it is horrible. Sandy, was it you who mentioned that they were lactose intolerant????? I am but it is all new and I am trying to round up some information from someone who also is going through this. How do you make sure you receive enough calcium and vitamin D? I have been deficient in vitamin d ever since I had to remove dairy from my diet. I live in the desert and and there is plenty of sun!!!! Just wondering if you had any advice and if the over the counter pills actually help when you just crave a nice piece of pizza Thanks for listening!!!!!
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Danica,
    I am lactose intolerant as well. I was diagnosed with that 12 years ago in college. Honestly, it was ALOT harder to deal with when I was first diagnosed then it is now. All I wanted to do when I was first learning to adjust was . Before being diagnosed lactose intolerant (I'll just call it LI on here ) I used to love, Love, LOVE cheese, milk, and dairy products in general. It was a common thing for me to make a big cheesy lasagna or baked ziti or mac and cheese from scratch for all my friends. In fact, it was pretty uncommon for me to not have dairy 3x a day. When I was first diagnosed, I had to completely ween myself off of dairy. I was so sensative to the intolerance that I couldn't even stomach things like yogurt, butter, cream cheese or parmesean cheese. All of these are not a problem for me now. In the beginning, I had a perscription that was supposed to help me with breaking down the lactose. (Lactaid pills were not popular yet and Soy was a foreign word to most people still). So I abstained for about a year. It was hardest when I went out to eat. Too many creamy, buttery, cheesy sauces out there. Too many unlisted ingrediants. The Olive Garden went from my favorite restaurant to a thing of the past. I learned (and you will have to as well) to thoroughly question my waitstaff about a dishes' ingrediants if it was not specific enough for me to know if there was dairy involved. I also learned that ALOT of people think eggs and mayonaise are dairy products that lactose intolerant people can't have but that butter almost never crossed their mind as being bad for me. I learned to send the waiter/tress back to ask the chef what dairy, if any, was specifically in a dish and to send it back when it arrived with cheese/cream/dairy products on it. That was a hard thing for me because before it was a problem with me, I wouldn't like to make a big issue of anything at a restaurant for fear of my food being spit in or something, but I also learned to explain that I am allergic to dairy and that if I eat it, I could become very seriously sick in a short amount of time. (Of course, LI is not really an allergy or the same as a dairy allergy, but explaining it that way always seems to get my point across). After a short time, I learned to slowly incorporate dairy back onto my diet, a little bit at a time. I started buttering my toast. Then I would use 1 tsp of cream cheese on 1/2 a bagel then I tried some aged cheeses (like Romano and Parmesean) and after I was really comfortable with all of these (which took my body about a year) I started in with Yogurt. I only buy Stoneyfield farms because I have found that it is the easiest on my stomach. It is very high in acidophilus (which helps us to control our intolerance). When I first got diagnosed, I was also taking an acidopholus pill daily to help my stomach and intestines to rebalance themselves. Sometime after the first year I learned about soy products. It was hard at that time to find them and they didn't taste nearly as good as they do now, but it was a blessing to be able to eat cereal that wasn't dry or to drink coffee with a drop of (soy) milk again. The have tons of soy products. Even ice creams. Soydreams is a pretty good ice cream and so are the Tofutti ice cream Cuties sandwhiches and the Purely Decadent vegan ice cream. (Vegan products and kosher products are also good dairy free options). There is also a brand that is called (crap the brain fog just kicked in but when I remember I will tell you). After a while I switched my milk to Lactaid brand. There is plenty of calcium in both the soy and the lactaid milk. I have also heard that goat's milk (which can be found by the Lactaid brand) is lactose free but I haven't tried it yet b/c I don't like "thick" whole milk. My brother is also LI and he convinced me 2 years ago to give Lactaid another try. (When I was fist diagnosed, it was not chewable and I had to take 4 or more pills to enjoy a small portion of dairy). The chewable pills are terrific! The reduce the symptoms greatly. I now make (and eat) homemade pizza on a special occasion. Cheese and ice cream are back in my diet (more then they should be but I have banned them for the next week to get past the cravings). I have to take a Lactaid when I have them. Each LI person is different in their severity. You will have to experiment (and I suggest you only do that when at home). For my brother, he can eat everything but pizza and ice cream with relatively few problems. For me, I couldn't eat anything without consequences and repurcussions at first. I was so bad, they thought I had Chrone's. Try out some different types of foods (at home) and see how you react. Keep a journal. Don't mix your dairy products until you know how each one reacts. Certain kinds of cheeses will probably be more upsetting then others since they all have different lactose levels. Try out the lactaid or goat or soy milks. Try the pills too, but don't try them till you know you have settled your stomach and intolerance down for a little bit so you are a little less sensative and they will work better for you (and you will have a truer reading of how well that is). Eating dairy will always bother my IBS (especially in the beginning). It isn't so bad now if I keep ice cream a treat and use lactaid pills. As for calcium, all of these soy and Lactaid and goat products have calcium. I also took calcium tablets for the year I was completely dairy free but stopped when I included dairy back. Mind you, I still don't really eat dairy the way that most people do. A little butter or parmesean is the most I have most of the time. Also, for milk, there are a lot of creamers that are dairy free (Coffee Mate, International Delights are the two I use at work) but they are high in sugar (corn syrup bases) so I only use a tsp once a day. I also get ALOT of calcium from my diet. I have switched to a more vegetable based diet. There are tons of ways to include more calcium in your diet. A lot of products are as high or higher the a serving of 1% milk. (Turnips, soy milk, spinach, calcium fortified OJ, etc.). If you do a quick google search for high calcium diets or vegetables, you will find a lot of good links. Also, if you take a daily vitamin, you can find one with a day's serving of dairy.
    I hope this helps you. Sorry if it is too long winded or overwhelming. Feel free to ask me any questions you have and I will try to help you any way I can. I know it's overwhelming and a bit depressing at first, but you will figure it all out quickly, I promise.
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My dr. put me on vitamins, i take d, b-12 and folic acid. so far by blood work shows all of my numbers improving since they were too low at first. you might want to ask the dr. if you need calicum i don't so i just take regular d.

i know about ibs that what they said i had, but i have talked to alot of people and i think more now what i have is just part of the lupus. cause when i doing really well i don't have those symptoms any more. like sometimes i can eat lettuce and it stays and other times with in 20min. off to the bathroom. before being dign. with lups that what a gi dr. said i had and treated for that but nothing ever seem to work, it just came and went as it please and meds didn't help it at all. i even took pills that disolved under tongue for it that didn't work.

have a great day
    Keep Smiling

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Hi

I was reading the post of the IBS, as I was dignosed with IBS several years ago but have always felt that it was not correct. I have been on all the IBS medications nothing seem to work but was put on dicyclomine and take it 4 times a day... The reason why I say I don't feel I have this is especaily after reading the post. Here is my problem in the begenning I never had dirraha (Spelling) I had constpation and gas and bloating and pain. It was so severe to the point I was screaming and couldn't walk and was carried in to the doctors office many times. This went on for many years. doctors could not figure it out. My husband would spend many nights rubbing my back to get the gas out...

Finaly a doctor thought that I had a problem with eating after it was explained that these flair ups come when I was eating different things. still that doctor had no real answers. Finaly I went to who is my current doctor and she said I have IBS but here's what my husband and I figured out and it seems to be better than the doctors answers.

Going back to the doctor who said I had a eating disorder. MY husband and I started a test to see what would happen when I eat certain foods. We went to the store and spent hours reading the backs of packages and cans. Making notes of what was in everything, we spent hours doing this which turned in to almost 2 weeks in a grocery store, the manage even approched us and ask us what we were doing and gave us suggestions to help.

We learned alot by doing this. We bought many different foods home and over days I would try one and wait and see what happen. As it turns out I carry a large list with me of food I can not eat. The foods that cause me the most problems are listed at the top. ( I will never eat chicken or turkey again as long as I live - top of the list food) However I can drink milk and eat cheese, but on the other side I can not eat these foods if they are cooked. If you put milk in a pie I can not eat it. if you make a grilled cheese sandwhich I can not eat it. (Strange)I can eat ice cream. If milk is frozen no problem. What we learned was if the food was processed more or cooked more I would almost kill me. ( our term double cooking food)

I can not microwave food nor can I reheat food. I can not eat any food that comes in a can or is prepackaged such as frozen foods. I can not eat any food that has cornmeal in it as grain foods are really bad. If I do eat grain I have to make it whole wheat and can only eat one piece like bread that is for the week other wise I will be at the hospital.

I have also had to cut out such things as candy, most drinks that are dark in color and I am down to only eating beef, and now that is causing me a problem.

The doctor I have now that I was crazy when I did this long test to figure out what was wrong but like she said when we completed it, it was probley the best thing we did. Now with taking out the foods it has made life alot better. I just have to watch what I eat and sometimes you do make mistakes and have flare ups.

Here's the Question Does this sound like IBS to anyone else ? Or am I crazy thinking it is something else.

Another Question any suggestions on what to do if I run out of foods to eat ? I fear this will happen. I keep taking foods out and the doctor agrees because if I don't I wind up in so much pain and gas and at the hospital with constapation. The last trip I made to the hospital with this the doctor gave me 8 ennimas (spelling) my body kept them in for 3 days I have had all kinds of test and still not answers.

just loooking for some insight to this. I want to scream because I can't go out to eat
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Wow you did a lot of research. i never did that. i will try and take the time to do and maybe it will help you.

i think greasy foods were worse for me but again sometimes it was a glass of water that sent me into the bathroom coming out that i ended up dehydrating three time and had to go to hospital, and gi dr said water wouldn't do that if it was ibs, was just the lupus acting up. nothing was passing water went wrong way so i not sure.

our bodies are all different, i stll think its the lupus for you not ibs. and how your body reacts to way food is prepared. have you tried chicken and turkey every way possible to cook, lunchmeat too?

my other worse food was what people call ruffage(sp) oh the pain and gas was terrible plus running to toliet.
    Keep Smiling

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Gina,

I have tried every food cooked and eaten every way. Especially chicken and turkey. I have searched hi and low for different ways to cook and different ways to eat nothing seems to work except staying away from most cooked or highly process food.

There have been times when the gas was so bad if you entered me in to a burping contest against 10 men I would have one hands down. It was so bad I would frighten the dog.

what was so bad was last year I lost over 50 pounds and this year I have gained over 80 but it happens right now I am going back to the weight loss, which to me is very stressfull. Doctors keep saying IBS but I know better.

I think my husband and I have figured out more than my doctors.

you mentioned water, for the last year or so I have stayed away from water because I have anemia and the reason is because it got so bad the doctor could not controll it (I take 8 Iron pills a day) does nothing but anyway it was so bad I got to craving ice and was eating it 24 hours a day 7 days a week pretty much washed my blood platelets away, started having seizures like problems had to go to the hospital, the doctor suggested I stop water and not use or eat any more ice. SO now if I were to drink or eat ice it effects my boold platelets which we are trying to correct but it has been hard. My iron level has been so low that several times they thought of giving me a blood transfusion to help the problem.

thanks for posting
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

Blog Entries
    Thanks

you got me stumbled. have you tried meds for the pancrease?
    they tried me on stuff to take before i ate to help the digestion of the food.

i still think lupus

when i get a chance i will start keeping a diary again i did when i was real sick with it than stopped.

i wasn't allowed anything white including white meat. and no sugars at all and it seem to help but there were more things i couldn't eat than could.

goin for now will check on monday.

i feel for you with all that crap.
    Keep Smiling