Thread: Itchy eyes

Thanks

Default Itchy eyes

The last couple of weeks i have been getting really itchy eyes, especially at night time and at work.
    I always had them occasionally as i am slightly allergic to my cat, but i didnt know whether anyone else had had problems with itchy eyes? It seems to be getting worse...
    Oh i was also going to say, is this something that could be caused by Sjrogens? My last blood test suggested Sjrogens, however i didnt have any symptoms, so the rheumy wasnt bothered by it...ughhhh i hope not, i dont need anything else at the moment!!
    Last edited by Monique89; 07-07-2009 at 09:21 PM.
    *~* Monique *~*

Thanks

Monique,

I dont necessarily get itchy eyes but sometimes my eyes get irritated at night and I cant stop rubbing them and the irritation is accompanied with tears. Im not sure if that has anything to do with Srojerns. But itchy eyes might be a lups symptom. Hope your eyes get better.

Chriss
    Live, love, and most importantly be grateful!!

Thanks

Monique,
    My blood tests also showed positive for Sjogren's. My eyes have always been dry, and I've never been one to be able to cry - it seemed that I just didn't have the tears. My eyes often get "crusty" at night and sometimes get red and irritated.
    I always just accepted this as normal for me. Now that I've done some research on Sjogren's, I've found that they are definitely some common symptoms.
    My rheumy is sending me to an ophthalmologist this Friday so that he can evaluate me for Sjogren's. I'll post about the appointment on Friday evening.
    SaySusie and Oluwa both probably know more about this, but there is some good info on the net if you look it up.
    Marla

Thanks

I get VERY itchy eyes at times. It has gotten better though since i learned it was a symptom of chronic dry eye and now i put drops in EVERY day. When they start to itch i know its time to use MORE drops than i have been that day. Pay attention to what smells you are exposing yourself to as well. I did and i discovered that candles made my eyes dry out and itch. Good luck!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Thanks

Smile ophthalmologist appointment

Hi all,
    As promised, here's my report.
    This doctor was quite impressive. He read the request sent by my rheumy to evaluate my dry eyes and probable Sjrogren's. He then sat down and asked me to explain all of the symptoms that I was experiencing. He listened and discussed all of the things I've been through for the last three years.
    He then dilated my eyes and did several tests, including the Schirmer test, which I've read is usual for Sjrogren's. He finally said that he concurred with my rheumy that I do have Sjogren's, and that I have mild to moderate dryness in my eyes. He is starting me on over-the-counter eye drops for now. He recommended another brand for later when the drops aren't as effective and I need a gel form. He said that as the Sjrogren's progresses, I may someday need a prescription eye drop, but for now, I can use the over-the-counter.
    He said that it is important to start treating now, so that I can avoid possible damage to my corneas. I have noticed very occasional blurriness, and he said that non-treated dryness could lead to more blurriness.
    I was very impressed with how knowledgeable this ophthalmologist was about autoimmune disorders. He seemed to know more than some rheumys that I have met!
    Monique, keep using those eye drops and get yourself evaluated by a good ophthalmologist.
    Marla

Thanks

Thanks Marla.
    I havent actually used any eye drops yet...i dont actually have the feeling of dry eyes, just really itchy...
    I have an appointment with an opthamologist in about 6 weeks time, so i will see then i suppose!!
    *~* Monique *~*

Thanks

I am glad I read this thread today. I also have had itchy feeling eyes and sometimes very bad blurryness, my eye doc said that when the eyes start to feel itchy it was a sign of dryness and to use fake tears, he recomended GenTeal gel drops, seems to last a lot longer than just your fake tears and is OTC. I did get the impression that the blurryness was from the prednisone, I have been weaning of the prednisone, was at 40mg a day and down to 36mg now and it does seem that my eyes are not as blurry as they were, after getting new glasses to compensate that now don't work, oh well, take life one day at a time and thank God for all the good times!!. Hope this helps a bit and I pray for healing for all. God bless, Jim.
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3

Thanks

Monique89: I also get very itchy eyes and it drives me nuts but I will put drops in my eyes when this starts. It will be the only sign I have in regards to dry eyes and so I will forget every once in a while but it really will help

magistramarla: I am sooooooo happy that you have found someone to support you and help you out with your eyes. I have used the over the counter drops before and they do work and I have also used the gel form and they work great! It just feels weird with the gel for a bit but this passes. I really hope you have some relief soon
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Monique,
    I have been dying to rip my eyes out of my head and SCRATCH them today. They feel like they are rubbing in the sand. I have eye allergies, and figured it was just that. My eye allergies are horrible since I had to stop taking Zyrtec (allergic to the OTC version - stupid Lactose binders in the meds make me react horriby! ) and I just got used to it and accepted it as normal.
    Marla, the next time I see the eye doc, I am going to ask him to run the test you said. He already diagnosed me with dry eyes but I wonder if it's actually Sjogren's. I suppose I really should fill that eye drop perscription he gave me (also for the gel since the watery one does crud for me). I didn't realize that I could be causing more damage to my corneas by not taking the drops. Thanks for sharing!
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.