Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insect bites

Thanks

Just thought I'd jump in on this thread.....as I sit here trying not to itch.

I went and opened my mouth this Spring on the forum and commented that I hadn't been bitten by any mosquitos for at least the last 5 years. They always seemed to avoid me, when everyone else was getting eaten alive. My husband and I used to joke that I must have bad blood since I'd been diagnosed with Lupus, because they seemed to avoid me.

Well not anymore! We went to a BBQ on July 4th, and sat outside on a lovely deck and then hung on in a backyard shooting off fireworks and stayed outside quite late. When I woke up the middle of the night, I had 12 mosquito bites all over....legs, arms, hands, feet. I was horribly miserable and didn't sleep the rest of the night because they grew into enormous welts and itched horribly. The worst one is on the side of my foot very close to the sole, and it makes my foot itch all over the entire bottom and all the way up past my ankle. Seems like the mosquitos are carrying some nasty venom in them these days.

For relief, I had been trying 'Gold Bond' itch cream, but it only worked for about half an hour, then the itching returned. Well yesterday I was out at the race track and a lady had bites all over her arms and back and she let me use some of her Benadryl Spray, Extra Strength Itch Relief. I couldn't believe how well it worked. It was a cool spray that coated the bug bite and when it dried it left a seal on it, and the best part.....the itching stopped for at least 3 hours. That was more relief than I was getting from the Gold Bond. So I went to the store and bought some for myself today and as long as I use the spray, I haven't been itching today. And the welts are decreasing in size pretty quickly. I didn't even realize that Benadryl had a spray.

Now hopefully I'll be able to get some sleep tonight....

Just thought I'd share what worked well for me....

Lori

Thanks

Lori,

Thanks for the benadryl spray tip, I will buy some today.

Debbie

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 628 Posts

I grew up spending most of my time outdoors here in Maine, and I remember mosquito bites leaving welts about the size of a pencil eraser that didn't itch much, and didn't last long. I got bit by a couple of fine examples of the Maine State Bird over the weekend, and now I have welts the size of golfballs that turn red, hot, and itch beyond belief. I take the pink Benadryl tablets and they help with the itch. I don't know if a cool washcloth really helps, but it does take the burn away.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    I grew up spending most of my time outdoors here in Maine, and I remember mosquito bites leaving welts about the size of a pencil eraser that didn't itch much, and didn't last long. I got bit by a couple of fine examples of the Maine State Bird over the weekend, and now I have welts the size of golfballs that turn red, hot, and itch beyond belief. I take the pink Benadryl tablets and they help with the itch. I don't know if a cool washcloth really helps, but it does take the burn away.
    Rob...you made me laugh out loud with the "Maine State Bird" comment. They must be big suckers in your neck of the woods. lol I'm gonna try the cool washcloth idea...thanks.

Made me think of the old Sci Fi movie about the gigantic mosquitos the size of a house, that attack earth. What a nightmare that would be.

Mosquitos must have some really nasty venom they're injecting us with these days, if so many of us have huge welts that last for days. I don't recall ever have such intense itching from their bites. I went to bed last night with all my bites covered with the Benedryl....but at 3 am woke up and instantly felt my foot on fire and itching horribly. Grabbed the spray next to the bed and covered my foot, top and bottom. But then had to wave my foot back and forth to air dry the Benedryl spray cuz I used so much. Waving the foot, made waves in my waterbed which woke my husband....and I got a very sleepy comment from him...."what the hell are you doing to yourself over there?" *giggle*

The Off bug spray doesn't seem to keep them off of me...so I've decided I'm going to track down a local Avon rep and get some of the "Skin So Soft" that everyone raves about. I want to see if the stuff really works on me. I'm also getting one of the clip on bug repellers. This summer, I fully intend to enjoy my back deck in the evenings where I have my tiki torches lit and my relaxing patio glider. Heading out for some citronella candles as well.....

......I am declaring WAR on the mosquitos....and I fully intend to be armed and ready!!

Lori

p.s. Love your new signature line Rob!

Thanks

Have another bad mosquito night to report.....

Last night as I was laying in bed, just as I was falling asleep.....I heard the high-pitched sound of a mosquito right next to my ear.

I freaked!!!! Not in MY bedroom....huh uh!! I sat up and waved my arms around frantically, hoping I knocked him senseless against the far wall of my bedroom.

Thought about turning on the light and seeing if he was still hovering around...but thought, "well, they're so tiny, I won't be able to see the sucker anyway" (pun intended)...

So, layed back down...then pulled the sheet up to my chin, making sure to cover my bare shoulders. Then thought oh, he'll probably just bite me in the face or head. Then thought, hmmmm....what if he flew under my sheet while I was pulling it up to my chin????

Okay, no way to know....I thought, as I looked over at my husband who was not covered with the sheet....maybe the sucker will choose him, instead of me.... (how cruel is that??)

I honestly did not want another mosquito bite, but what was I gonna do? Get out of bed and search for a tiny bug???? Nope....exhaustion overcame my rational thinking mind and a drifted into nervous slumber...

Woke this morning with a welt on my stomach the size of the bottom of a drinking glass.....and an itch like a son of a *$@@@**......

I am miserable....my other welts were almost healed and now here I go again!

I think I may have to take one of those Off clip-on fans to bed tonight....except exactly where am I supposed to clip the damn thing????

When I told my husand this morning before he left for work, he informed me that mosquitos have a life span of 2 weeks.

GREAT! THAT'S JUST GREAT!

I think I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight.....

Lori