Thread: Exercise routine I can stick with

Thanks

Default Exercise routine I can stick with

Hi all,

One of the things I hate about this "auto stuff" is my inability to stick to an exercise plan or a sport or anything involving activity. Prior to beginning of 2008 when this started to rear it's ugly head I was thin and semi toned and in decent shape. I have now blown up like the Goodyear blimp and anytime I join a club or get a trainer it only last 3 months or so. I was working out with a trainer and I had good days and then I'd be beat down for 4 days..I ended up giving my sessions to my hubby. Since mid-August last year my Hubby has lost over 90 pounds and is exercising daily and doing great I am so proud of him. But then I llok at myself and feel useless that I don't have the energy to do the same. I feel like I missed the bus or something. That's when my anger and bitterness kicks in It's a vicious circle I'm always tired and have joint pains but I don't have energy to work out and I get fat and unhealthy which also adds on to the fatigue and joint pain. One doctor told me losing wieght will help with the fatigue and I said I'm to fatigued to work out. No end to this cycle. They are trying me on Provigil to counter the fatigue and sleep apnea we'll see.
    But anyway enough with my BLAH BLAH I was curious what exercises work best for you guys. I am liking Roller Derby but it's like the trainer after some practices I'm wiped out for a week I will stick with it tho the people are outstanding and I have fun. My next gym I've been researching I want it to have water aquatics, I've read up on all sorts of "auto stuff" and I have seen that water aquatics is recommended because it is easy on the joints and works out diffferent muscle groups. I really want to be back down to 125 not too difficult since I'm only 2 pounds away HA I wish but oh well my good PEEPS it's time for me to relax it was fun catching up and exploring different profiles. Enjoy your Holiday weekend.

Don't mind my spelling my brain fogs have pretty much killed any grammar skills I had

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi spanglishqueen,

i hope you have a great holiday weekend as well.

I used to work lifting weights and training people for 10 to 12 hours a day 5 to 7 days a week. I have not been able to work out in a gym since 1996. Each time that i try, i put myself to bed.....no matter how easy i work out. So, things do change, and they change quickly and with great debilitation.

Inow do water aerobics (the easy arthritis class). It is such a downer, but our lives change ....and that is a fact.

good luck have a great weekend....whatch out for the sun
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Philly! originally from North/Central Jersey
    Thanks

hello Spanglishqueen,

I am totally with you! I struggle with the same issues. I was did a 1/2 marathon in march when my 1st flare came up ( didn't know it was a flare though b/c I was just starting to get tested for things) and since then it's been all downhill and i really can only do 2 miles without causing more problems and it is so depressing.

I did join a Yoga class though and feel REALLY good about it. I do feel myself getting stronger with it. I am still trying to balance "pushing myself" but am actually starting this weekend with at least walking every day and going running when I am up to it and doing my yoga once a week.

I don't really know much about this disease yet but I with how I feel I know I can at least go for a walk every day, running? maybe not.

Thanks

Me...I swim and stretch. Though not belly burners it keeps me strong and limber despite the joint stiffness and pain. I unfold easier in the morning and when I get up from a chair.

I swim for about an hour average 5 times a week about, rainless providing. My fat has changed shaped but the scale says the same.

I am thinking menopause is affecting my loss, because after a round of steroids my weight will return to normal...not this time and it has been almost 6 months since my last dose of it...

My metabolic rate is slower than a snail...I think too it is my thyroid...sluggish...as my caloric intake is about 1200 average...times 800 or even as high as 15-1600. But gee doesn't breathing count for some burn?

Try www.fitday.com to help keep track of your exercise burn and calories, weight...a nice layout...

Enjoy your sleep...I am off to enjoy mine. Night.
    Love, Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Definitely...swimming is the best form of exercise when everything else doesn't work.

In the past, during flares and constant symptoms from Lupus, I could not do ANY exercise...every single thing I tried caused more problems. Every time I tried, I flared big time. I wasn't able to afford joining a health club at that time (young and poor) ...so I started going to the local Easter Seals, which had an excellent zero-entry therapy pool.

It was so nice on those days when my joints and muscles were so painful...to be able to change clothes in an area that was designed for disabled persons and to be able to walk right into the pool, rather than have to climb down a ladder or sit on the edge to get in. And it turned out the combination of the warm water (never could do cold--it made my joints sooo stiff) and weightlessness when I was in the pool, was the perfect combo for a good overall workout.

I always took it very easy, didn't push myself. Never overdo with swimming just because you feel weightless and joints move easier. You can injure joints and not even feel it till you're out of the pool.

It's pretty amazing how many calories you can burn even with a moderate amount of swimming....and it's a great overall body workout. I too participated in some of the arthritis pool classes they offered. The most difficult part back then was being 20 when all the other ladies were 60+....but they were all very sweet, understanding women.

Swimming and gentle stretching became my only exercise for many years with Lupus, until I finally went into remission. I've now been able to work out very carefully at Curves, 3 times a week, for the past 3 years.

Sure hope you can find a routine that will work for you.....

Lori

p.s. I'm liking ALL the smiley's in your post... hehehe ...who helped you do that?????

Thanks

At least you guys try..... Ive given up so I wear big belts everyday to cover my flabby stomach. I call it the camoflauge. lol, lol, lol. Who am I kidding??
    Live, love, and most importantly be grateful!!