Thread: I'm...back !!!

Thanks

Default I'm...back !!!

Hi everyone, been away for a time, brain tumor surgery will do that to ya!
    I do not highly recommend surgery on the brain...what a headache!
    Yep, I am doing great, thanks for all the prayers - I'm feeling the love!
    Hey, did you know I am 32 days smoke free, quit smoking after, uh, 30 something years. Can't say it makes me feel any better, well, not yet, but I don't feel worse either. Anyway, I just wanted to check in and let y'all know....I'm still here.....glad to be too!
    Hope all are doing okay, at least finding ways to cope, anyone ever wants to drop me an e-mail, please do, I so love mail, and it makes me think I may be helping someone vent. Later lupies, God Bless.
    Deb
    PS: I read some study here at Duke Univ. that it is possible that lupus disease promotes or boosts cancer cells....anyone hear of this? Is there anything lupus doesn't do to hurt you? :roll:
    Butterflies are free to fly...fly away....
    I wish lupies could too

Thanks

hugs and welcome back!

I'll take your suggestion and avoid brain surgery - I have enough headaches with out it!

Yes, it seems that everyting in life interacts and circles 'round. I am not surprised that they say cancer is more prevelant. I had heard that women with lupus had more "unusual" cells in pap smears, thus needed more frequent monitoring. sigh...

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome back Hatlady; hope you are doing well, I'll be checking in every now and then. Until then, my thoughts are with you all!
    I wish lupies could too

Thanks

I'm glad you made it through your brain surgery okay. My sister-in-law went through two brain surgeries and long recoveries. Best wishes and prayers to you while you recover. Take care of yourself!

Thanks

Thanks Hippimom2, your sweet sentiment is well received. I am sooooo tired most of the time, but spirits are high, which will get me through, and I will be checking my support system.....which is HERE!...when I can. I wish you well also. Thank you all so much for your thoughts, prayers and support. DEB
    I wish lupies could too

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

OMG DEB!!! Welcome back :lol:
    I am SOOOOO happy to hear that your surgery was successful!! It is good to have you back on our forum again!

About Lupus and Cancer:
    There are some reports that claim that people with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) have a higher risk for developing all kinds of cancers. Researchers (can't find our who or where they are!) found that the risk of several types of cancer was higher among SLE patients compared to the incidence among people without SLE.
    It has been suspected that there was a a cancer-lupus link since at least the late 1970s. Because of this, many physicians treating people with lupus have always been vigilant about cancer.
    Everything that I've read has said that the overall risk for cancer among SLE patients was 15 percent, which translates into an individual risk of about 1 percent, a relatively low risk.
    It is suggested that effective tests for cancer, such as the Pap smear, yearly breast exams, mammograms, blood-stool test and skin examination, should be done routinely.
    Any further screening and testing for specific cancers should be done based on the personís medical history, symptoms and physical exam.

Researchers found that cancers of the lymphatic system and the blood had the highest incidence among people with SLE. A research of SLE patients with cancer found that there were 67 such cancers in the group, compared to the expected 24. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system, ran an alarming 400 percent increased risk with 42 cases in the group, compared to the expected 12.
    It has been hypothesized that a combination of genetic predisposition and environmental factors, such as infection with a specific virus, might play a role in upping cancer risk among people with SLE.
    Another possible explanation for the higher rate of cancer among people with SLE is suppressed immune system. Normally, the human body has a number of safe-check mechanisms that screen for cancer cells and kill them when they begin to develop.
    However, in immuno-compromised people, these regulatory mechanisms may not work as well, thereby letting cancerous cells develop more easily.
    Another possible explanation is that people with SLE take the highest doses of immuno-suppressing drugs in the first several years after diagnosis.
    There is much more research that needs to be done before it can be conclusively stated Lupus patients are definately at a higher risk of getting cancer!! That does not mean that we should not ake precautions, like getting the above described tests!!!

Again...Welcome Back
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thanks bunches for the info, and for the welcome back; this is my safe home, at last, I belong somewhere where people understand me!
    Good health and much happiness to all. Thanks again.
    Deb
    I wish lupies could too