Thread: horrible fatique

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Exclamation horrible fatique

I'm not sure where I left off last...

In April / May I was in and out of the hospital. :Long story, but I had a Subclavian Bypass done on May 20th. I was also taken of of my birth control pills and all other hormones but my thyroid hormones.

So far, the last few weks have heen ok. I've been healing from the bypass but that was the easy part.

I returned back to work on Monday and was very excited about this. I started getting what I think is the Lupus Rash just within the past 2 weeks. It doesn't really hurt or itch - just looks wierd. (I put a picture of it in my albums in my profile)

Another new symptom that just started this week is horrible fatique. This fatiquee is the kind where you're not sure whether or not you'll be able to haul your own body weight out of bed. Driving yesterday morning was a bad idea. I cannot believe how many times I closed my eyes going down the road and of course I didn't realze it until later.
    I'm getting plenty of sleep and I'm not takeing any new medication. Its been a month since my bypass and I've had more energy in the past month that this should not be normal.

THe medication I'm taking for Lupus is Plaquenil 200 MG twice a day and I've been on Plaquenil for 3 months.

I cannot pump myself full of Red Bull. How do you deal with this? For those of you who starte taking methotrexate, is it true that it helps with fatique?

I have to work!! I can't be a zombie.
    Last edited by justomegirlindallas; 06-24-2009 at 09:52 AM.
    32 YO Wife, Mother and Advocate
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

You can find me on facebook at www.facebook.com/sororenotis
    Please tell me you are from here and who you are if you add me there.

I work full time and Leader for International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement
    http://www.iaamovement.org/

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi justomegirlindallas,

so sorry to hear that your symptoms are getting worse. You say you have been on plaquenil for 3 months...it often takes up to 6 months for plaquenil to work the best that it is going to work. After 6 months on plaquenil with no real relief, my dr. started me on methotrexate. Yes, it has really helped me especially with fatigue. However, you need to really investigate whether or not you want to go this route. It lowers your immune system, leaving you susceptable to other problems. Also, the day after my dose (via injection), i feel really bad and stay in bed all day. I am very pleased with the present relief from mtx, but i am definitely concerned about what i might be subjecting myself to in the future.

Why don't you call you dr. and see if there is anything they can do for you that will get you out of this flare that you are in.....they might be able to help you.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you for your reply I sincerely appreciate it. Letting me know that Methotrexate does help with fatique at least helps me feel that this doesen't have to be a permanant problem. If I did go on methotrexate I'd request injections because I don't want the tummy problems the pills cause. My pharmacist told me to request injections if I ever needed it. I'd rather spend one day in the bed than half of the month. I'm new to Lupus still, I'm technically in my first year.

What kind of markers did you have that got you the diagnosis for lupus or that you needed methotrexate?
    Thanks
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Also, are your injections expensive:?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi,

i give myself the injections....uses a very small needle and does not hurt. I pay my regular deductible of 15.00, then i have to buy the syringes which are like 30 cents a piece.

my dr. put me on methotrexate when plaquenil did not provide any relief after 6 months of taking it. I was very hesitant, but decided to give it a try. I have to go in for regular blood work, because they watch my liver very closely. I did not want to take steroids, and you have to step down the dosage before getting off. With methotrexate, i can just stop it....realizing that symptoms will probably return. The methotrexate lowers the immune system, so it slows the progression of lupus....i like the idea of slowing down this heartless disease.

I have been battling with fibromyalgia and lupus for many years, but just got the lupus diagnosis in october of 2008. This happened when my symptoms started increasing and i could tell that my health was declining because the lupus was progressing. It just steadily got worse, and we knew it was more than just fibromyalgia.
    Phyllis

share a smile today