Thread: Question about Lupus & Sjogrens

Thanks

Default Question about Lupus & Sjogrens

Hi all!

I hope you all are doing good.

I have had RA since 1997 and SLE Lupus Nephritis since 2005, in the last few months I have had increasingly more joint point along with fatigue, dry eyes,dehydration, ect. My Rheumy gave me diflonac (sp?)which did not do anything. My nephrologist suggested being tested for Sjogrens, which I am currently waiting for the results - but am anxious to know the results. My primary doctor agrees with the possibility of Sjogrens.

From anyone's experience - does Sjogrens cancel out the lupus/ RA meds. I am trying to figure out why I am in such pain. So please share any experience with this. Or can think of any other possibilities.

Thanks

Melissa
    Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus SLE- Nephritis, Raynaud's syndrome, BAD eye sight, possible Sjogrens

MEDS: Plaquenil, Lisiniprol, Prednisone (tapering), Imuran, Prozac, Ambien

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi melissa,

first, let me welcome you to our family....there are many members here and someone can always help with your questions. Lupus is such an individual disease, and affects each of differently. There will always be someone who has similar symptoms as yours, and they will be able to help you sort through the questions.

i do no see where Sjorgen's cancels lupus/RA meds. Sjorgen's often runs along with lupus, and most of us deal with both. I have not heard any conversation about is cancelling the effects of lupus meds.

sorry i don't specific answers for you question, but i am sure someone will be along who can help.

good luck, so sorry your symptoms have progressed, but this is definiitely a symptom of lupus and requires a constant adjustment in treatments.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Wink

I have Sjogren's, too. I asked my rheumy today about treatments for it. There is a prescription that helps the body to produce more moisture, but since it can cause diarrhea and I already get that from the Planquenil, I passed. My mouth isn't dry, but my eyes are. She said to get an over-the-counter eye moisturizer (with NO preservatives).
    As for other dryness, KY jelly is already my BFF!
    I'll save the prescription stuff for later, thank-you!
    As for canceling out other Lupus drugs - No way, so we're good.
    Hope this helps,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Mellie~
    Just wanted to say hi and welcome!
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Hi Mellie...I am Oluwa...welcome..

I have SLE and Sjorgrens (SS)..I am confused on your question does it cancels out the medication prescribed for Lupus and RA. Usually the same medication is prescribed for SS like..Plaquenil, MTX, steroids..are those the ones you are refering too? As there are other drugs for SS...for the dry eys and mouth.

Maybe they need to increase your prescribed drugs, tweak the regimen or prescribe another drug for your RA..SLE.

The medication we take for Lupus, SS doesn't totally stop our pain, but manages the disease, prevent further complications. Are you in a mild flare? Were you in remission previously.

Me, I am never pain free. My goal is to achieve remission or lessen my pain through my daily choices of exercise, eats, pills..but pain and fatigue always breaks through. For the most part I can manage it but days...whoa nellie. I just spend two days lazin' about in pain because I dug 4 holes, weeded my flower beds...swam for an hour and went to the grocers...wiped out...and only had enough energy to bang on the PC a few times yesterday and lay in bed pushing the button on the remote...

When you have SS with another connective tissue disease, such as SLE or RA, it is termed secondary Sjogren's syndrome. They say.... Symptoms that show up outside the glands are seen in one-third of people with primary Sjögren's syndrome, but rarely in those with secondary syndrome. These extraglandular symptoms may include:

• joint pain
    • muscle pain
    • low-grade fevers
    • increased fatigue.

The diagnostic criteria for Sjögren's syndrome include:

• dry mouth
    • poor salivary (saliva producing) gland production
    • dry eyes
    • often the presence of antinuclear antibodies
    • the presence of a positive rheumatoid factor.

The symptom most associated with Sjögren's syndrome is oral (mouth) dryness, known as xerostomia. Other oral symptoms that may be present include:

• burning of the tongue
    • cracking of the tongue
    • increased dental caries (cavities)
    • trouble swallowing
    • difficulty speaking without the use of continued lubrication.

Treatment for Sjögren's syndrome attempts to relieve the effects of chronic dryness of the mouth and eyes by increasing the lubrication and moisturization of the affected tissues:

• Artificial tears in various forms help replace decreased tear production. However, artificial tears containing preservatives may cause irritation.
    • Plugging the lacrimal (tear) ducts with temporary or longer lasting collagen plugs, can be very effective in increasing moisture of the conjunctiva and cornea. Various other experimental agents are being developed.
    • Local oral agents have been used for continuing lubrication, but with limited success.
    • Systemic agents have also been used, with varied success, including:
      • 5 mg three times a day of pilocarpine (Salagen), or bromhexine

Hydroxychloroquine (brand name: Plaquenil), an antimalarial, has been used for several reasons:

• the fatigue and joint pain associated with primary Sjogren's syndrome
    • to decrease levels of some of the autoantibodies and sedimentation rates.

Systemic corticosteroids and/or immunosuppressive agents (cytotoxic drugs) have been used for various extraglandular symptoms of Sjögren's syndrome, such as:

• vasculitis
    • lung involvement
    • kidney involvement.

Enjoy this day I am...

Hugs.
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Talking Thanks

Thanks for the info and welcome.

I was a bit confused about Sjogrens, but my questions were answered. I have never had this kind of Lupus flare up. The doc did increase the "lovely" prednisone for a while, with pain meds. Then wait for the results of blood tests.

I hope you all are doing well. I feel you Oluwa - about fatigue always finding a way through.

I think I caused mine, from trying to excersize too hard. I was hoping to lose some prednisone weight, and ended up having to take more.

When will i ever learn,

Melissa
    Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus SLE- Nephritis, Raynaud's syndrome, BAD eye sight, possible Sjogrens

MEDS: Plaquenil, Lisiniprol, Prednisone (tapering), Imuran, Prozac, Ambien

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi mellie,

i am so glad that oluwa could answer some of your questions. I am sorry that you had to increase the prednisone, and i hope you get relief from this flare very soon.

I think we are always "learning our lessons" when living with lupus. Sometimes this disease seems to have a mind of its own, and does just what it wants to.

take care, and again, welcome to our family.,
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Millie..you're welcome...

Though fatigued..do keep trying some form of exercise, movement. I still swim though I feel so petered out.

Though tired and in pain, when I swim it makes me forget or is it the warmth of the water that envelopes my body, it seems my body stops throbbing..

But as of late...when I climb out, later that day I feel like I had done a triathlon. And sleep has been my friend lately...nice as I usually do insomnia a few nights of the week. I still wake up exhausted....and back in the pool I go...

So, exercise, mild... even if it is just to stretch..reach for the sky. Keeps stiffness from settling in like the Tin Man when Dorthy found him on the Wizard of Oz...squeakkkkkkkk.

Love.
    On a move...Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.