Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: bad teeth!

Thanks

When I read the first post here, I was wondering if you have Sjogren's. My teeth were bad for years, and my dentists kept yelling at me, accusing me of not brushing when I DID, and tried everything I could. But no one knew at the time I had Sjogren's. By the time I was diagnosed, it was pretty much too late. I got dentures at 38. In some ways, I really love it because I can eat so many things now that I couldn't when I had my real teeth. And for the first time in my life, my teeth look GREAT - I've had lots of people compliment me on my smile, and they have no idea it's all fake. But the down side is the social part of it. I won't go away and share a room with a friend because I won't take my teeth out in front of anyone. When I went to Europe last year with a friend, I kept them in for days, and that was a disaster! I also gave up dating, because what man wants to date a woman who has dentures...along with lupus, Sjogren's, and everything else.

I was told by one doctor that implants will cause a flare, so that was never an option for me. I couldn't afford it anyway, even if I wanted to. Now my new rheumy said if I did just a couple at a time, it would probably be fine. But even if I hit the lottery one day, I don't think I'd go through the pain and long procedure of implants. My neighbor is going through it right now, and I've had less pain with having 14 teeth pulled and dentures than she has with 3 implants!!

I have had considerable bone loss since the dentures, however, so my lower dentures don't fit too well and I have to use adhesive twice a day. That happens with Sjogren's too. I'm hoping to save up enough money to pay for a new set next year, ones that fit better.

Whatever you do, drink LOTS of water!!!! As others have already suggested, that will really help. Good luck!
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Thanks

Thumbs up thank u

Thanks Cheryl, I am almost positives I have Sjogrens also, I have trouble swallowing becasuse my esophagus is so dry and my eyes are dry teeth bad joints deforming ect... I am seriously comtemplating dentures. I am glad you are doing somewhat well with yours. Thanks for input! Hugs Kathy{

=brandichi;55661]When I read the first post here, I was wondering if you have Sjogren's. My teeth were bad for years, and my dentists kept yelling at me, accusing me of not brushing when I DID, and tried everything I could. But no one knew at the time I had Sjogren's. By the time I was diagnosed, it was pretty much too late. I got dentures at 38. In some ways, I really love it because I can eat so many things now that I couldn't when I had my real teeth. And for the first time in my life, my teeth look GREAT - I've had lots of people compliment me on my smile, and they have no idea it's all fake. But the down side is the social part of it. I won't go away and share a room with a friend because I won't take my teeth out in front of anyone. When I went to Europe last year with a friend, I kept them in for days, and that was a disaster! I also gave up dating, because what man wants to date a woman who has dentures...along with lupus, Sjogren's, and everything else.

I was told by one doctor that implants will cause a flare, so that was never an option for me. I couldn't afford it anyway, even if I wanted to. Now my new rheumy said if I did just a couple at a time, it would probably be fine. But even if I hit the lottery one day, I don't think I'd go through the pain and long procedure of implants. My neighbor is going through it right now, and I've had less pain with having 14 teeth pulled and dentures than she has with 3 implants!!

I have had considerable bone loss since the dentures, however, so my lower dentures don't fit too well and I have to use adhesive twice a day. That happens with Sjogren's too. I'm hoping to save up enough money to pay for a new set next year, ones that fit better.

Whatever you do, drink LOTS of water!!!! As others have already suggested, that will really help. Good luck![/quote]
    Sorry i'm not home pain! and don't leave message I am not calling u back!

Lupus,Fibromyalgia,Hypertension, Sjogrens,Raynauds,

Macular degeneration,Depression,Arthritis

Thanks

AWWWW, Cheryl you can take your teeth out ANY TIME you WANT to IN FRONT OF ME!!!!!! I will make you share a room with me!!!!! Hey, your teeth are perfect with them in so you get compliments all of the time, thats a GOOD thing!!!!! Compliments are nice!!!!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Thanks

Kathy, is your rheumy doing anything about the Sjogren's? Have you been tested? If nothing else, ask about Numoisyn lozenges. They are by prescription and really help with the mouth dryness a lot. I still prefer to have water with me 24/7, but at times when I need to be able to talk and can't constantly sip water, they are a lifesaver!

Also, if you do decide to get dentures, one day, don't do what I did! Get a GOOD dentist!! I went with the cheapest, and, well, I guess you get what you pay for. I'm still glad I have dentures, but I wish I had gone with a different one.

Jeannette, you are such an angel!! And that's a deal then - if we ever have a chance to travel together, I'll share a room with you.
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Thanks

Brandi, we can share denture cream! Lol I am going to make calls soon about dentures! Hope your days great! HUGS Kathy You would be mad at me Jeanette i havent drank h20 since I can remember! bad bad bad! Hate water! Ugh! LOL Kathy
    Sorry i'm not home pain! and don't leave message I am not calling u back!

Lupus,Fibromyalgia,Hypertension, Sjogrens,Raynauds,

Macular degeneration,Depression,Arthritis