Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Sugar Issues???? Please Help!

Thanks

Default Blood Sugar Issues???? Please Help!

I am basically wondering if there is any relation between lupus and diabetes...The past two weeks my blood sugar has been going crazy. At first it was dropping really low (as low as 35) and then shooting up really high (as high as 598 once). Now for the past week my blood sugar levels have not gone below 150. I have NOT had any sugar and have strictly limited my carb intake (less than 50 grams a day) and this was just from whole grains (all wheat stuff now white bread or pasta) and corn products. I've been really thirsty and using the bathroom a lot. I've been drinking a lot of water, hoping it would help lower my sugar levels, but it has not yet. I'm wondering what are the normal levels I should be shooting for, is this urgent (should I go to the dr, or can it wait) . I don't have health insurance and because I'm getting married in three weeks, money is VERY tight right now. I want my health to be in good shape before I get married, but I'm having trouble with it. I have my own meter, and I test my sugar about 10 times a day for the past two weeks. These are my meds I've been taking...thought they might affect it
    Prednisone 20 mg once a day
    Plaquenil 400 mg twice a day
    Amitryiptiline 100 mg once a day
    Prevacid 30 mg once a day

Any help/advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Amanda

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Exclamation

Amanda,
    Do you have Diabetes??? You said you have a meter, but none of your meds are diabetic meds. I have Type 2 and I can tell you a few things that could help you.
    First, your sugar should not be fluctuating like that, but since you said you test 10x/day it could just be that you are not testing properly. You should test before your first bite of every meal and again 2 hours after that first bite. (Not 2 hours after you finish). Also, first thing in the AM and last at night. That will give you a better idea of your sugar levels. A good blood sugar range for a diabetic person is 70-110 (some docs will even say as high as 150) before a meal and under 200 2 hours after you start the meal. 598 is wayyyyyyy too high. If you are testing correctly, you need to run, not walk, to the doctor and get some blood work done to check your A1C level (3 month average of blood sugar level).
    Another thing to consider, is that a lot (and by that I mean most) people don't correctly count sugars or know what is or isn't actually counted toward sugars. You said you were really strict with your carb intake, but are you counting hidden carbs (artificial sweeteners, certain protiens, fruits & milk sugars for example)? You can check out this site for more info on hidden carbs. http://wilstar.net/lowcarb/hiddencarbs.htm
    Also, oral steriods (prednisone) are known to affect blood sugar. These steriods have a history of raising sugar levels in the blood. Does your rheumy know that you are diabetic? I won't let my dr's put me on steriods unless it is absolute last resort and only for short amounts of time then because it will blow my sugar up sky high too. If you are doing the first two steps (blood checks and carb counting) correctly, chances are, it's the prednisone spiking you and you might need to find a non-steriodal switch for that med.
    I have also found that stress will raise (or dramatically drop) my sugar too. Please don't wait 3 weeks to get this resolved. I know how much you want to enjoy your big day, but this is a life or death type of serious matter. Unsresolved, high blood sugar is related to heart attacks, strokes, liver or kidney damage, blindness, and death. If you are taking birth control, your risks are more elevated. I am assuming that you are honeymooning after the wedding and that will probably involve a flight to some location away from your home. That is the last place you want to be in medical emergency, so please, call your doctor today. If they won't take you, go to the ER.
    Best of luck to you!
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi amanda,

sandy gave you some great information....i just want to send to you my wishes for you to level out your health so that you can enjoy the weeks leading up to and including your wedding....be sure to let us know how everything goes, and send pictures.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I don't know if lupus and diabetes go together, but I have had hypoglycemia for years. My blood sugar gets really low at times. I have to remember to eat five small meals a day and have snacks at various times during the day. It was explained to me that hypoglycemia is the reverse of diabetes.

Thanks

I am not diabetic...that I know of at least. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia at a very young age, but it seemed to resolve itself because I haven't had any trouble with it in years. I have a glucose meter because I got it from my grandmother. She bought it because her dr recommended that she get one. I usually test my sugar when I wake up, after I eat breakfast, before lunch, after lunch, before dinner and after dinner and before I go to sleep. I didn't know about the two hours after the first bite, I usually test it two hours after I finish eating. Thanks for that. I'll try to get into the dr. this week. I kinda fired my rheumatologist and I am currently looking for a new one. He was not listening to me about how I was feeling. My GP is treating me again until I can find a new one. He told me to keep a log this week of my blood sugar levels and what I eat to compare it and to come in sometime next week with all the information. My 14-day average on the meter is 194.

Thanks

Hi Amanda,

I was dx'd 9 years ago. Last year I was happily told I no longer have diabetes. If you can, check out the library or amazon for "The Diabetes Cure" by Vern Cherewatenko. It has been a life saver!! I take Super Citrimax (Garcinia Cambogia (herb)) ordered from Swanons Vitamins and they deliver via ups to my door. It has not effected any of my other meds and, most importantly, no diabetes.

I hope this helps.

Take care,

Faith

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Amanda,

I was wondering about you all day and couldn't wait to get home to see if you had called the doctor. Did you call the dr? What did they say? I hope they took you seriously and aren't asking you to wait to go in.
    A couple of other scenerios for you to consider that your comment made me think of, if you are using a meter someone else gave you, are you sure that the strips are not expired? That the strips are the correct brand for the meter? That the meter is correctly titrated?
    You should know that an average of 198 is still way too high. As a diabetic, you would want to average 135 or less. 170 is generally the diagnostic # for Adult Onset (Type II) Diabetes, but I have seen people in the 150's get diagnosed. There used to be a "pre-diabetes" diagnosis, but most doctors now recognize that as early onset diabetes (in otherwords, you still have the disease but it isn't completely out of controllable yet).
    The 2 hour rule can make a big difference in your #'s. Your doctor really should have explained how to test your sugar for you to have an accurate round of #'s, but if you are averaging that high, and you are testing correctly, and your supplies all check out, then you are in diabetic crisis right now. You need immediate medical attention. You are already showing signs and symptoms of high blood sugar (extreme thirst, urge to constantly urinate). Other signs and symptoms include: fatigue/exhaustion; tingling or numbness in your hands, feet or legs; blurred vision; dry, itchy skin; frequent infections; cuts that are slow to heal or are easily infected; bruises that take abnormally long to heal; extreme mood swings; irratability; craving carbs/constant hunger.
    Please keep us posted with what happens. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Prednisone in itself, raises blood sugar, especially the higher the dose. Also if you are prediposed like a dad or paternal grandparent you have a better chance of developing it. I have to watch mine. My dad has it and grandma died from diabetes. So with the 20mg prednisone i take I would just keep close eye on it. 80-120mgs is normal, but dont get worried if its up or down a few numbers from that. Hugs kathy
    Sorry i'm not home pain! and don't leave message I am not calling u back!

Lupus,Fibromyalgia,Hypertension, Sjogrens,Raynauds,

Macular degeneration,Depression,Arthritis

Thanks

I am sorry you are going through this, especially so close to your wedding! I agree with Sandy, follow up with your doctor just to make sure everything is ok. Your blood sugar level isn't something to mess around with. My grandmother is on insulin and when it gets too high or even too low some really scary things can happen to her. Just remember we are all thinking about you and hoping that everything is turning out just fine. Good luck and keep us posted!!!!

As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

The meter I got from my grandmother had never been used. She bought it because the dr told her to last month, and she never used it. She gave it to me, and I just bought strips for it last week, so I know they aren't expired. I hadn't been keeping an good log of what I was eating and what the sugar was before and after, so I'm doing that this week. My dr's office is having their summer vacation this week, and I don't really want to go to the ER unless it's absolutely necessary because it cost so much more than the dr. I've been craving sugar like crazy lately, especially today, but I've been avoiding it. I really want some cake and ice cream, but I know that's probably not the best idea Thanks for all the advice and kind words. I will let you guys know as soon as I know something.

~Amanda