Thread: Can Hashi and Graves be signs to AI like Lupus down the road

Thanks

Default Can Hashi and Graves be signs to AI like Lupus down the road

......together with PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) and skin allergy as early early signs?
    I am 24 yr old, seemingly healthy with no other problem other than skin allergy (Urticaria) since I was a baby before I was diagnosed with Hashi in March, with normal function Thyroid and elevated anti TPO body. The endo I went to did not put me on any medication, and just told me that I should keep track of it now and I will get treated when I become hypothyroid. The endo also dx me with PCOS as the reason of my missing period that caused me to go to him originally. He put me on estrogen therapy. However, like many of you with Hashis out there that probably know already, the endo is very nonchalant about my anti tpo body, and totally disregard my furiosity at the ultimate outcome of having anti tpo body. That lead me to seek help from another immulogist, who I got a blood test from and the ANA came back positve at 1:160 speckled pattern, and everythingelse negative. The dr did not give me any formal dx either as I have no symptoms at all, and just told me to keep track of it and get another blood test in 6 months. I did some research after I got home, and is really confused at the complexity of hormonal disroder and one Autoimmune disorder to another. All of my problems seems to be interrelated in some way (thyroid, hormone, auto antibodies), and I am really scared that it may all just be early symptoms of other Autoimmune disease like Lupus down the road.........I am wondering if there is anybody out there that is in a similar sitaution as me or had a similar situation as me when they first started out?
    I have no family history of Lupus or other significant AI that I know of, but my grandmother and one aunt do have Hashis.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi aimee,

first, welcome to this wonderful family of the sky. We all care about each other and help whenever we can.

I do not have personal experience with Hashis and graves. I do know that we have some members who deal with these, and i am sure they will be ablong very soon to offer advice.

You need to see a rheumatologist. You should get one of the drs. to refer you to one who they feel would be most knowledgeable.

You say you have no symptoms, but i recommend that you browse around this site and learn about all of the many symptoms that go along with auto immune diseases. Then, make a list of any of the symptoms that you might have ever had. Lupus symptoms are intermittent, meaning that they move around from place to place and come and go from time to time. Also, really think about any symptoms that you might have had....for example, i kept responding "no" each time my rheumie asked me about mouth sores....I thought she meant true open sores that were painful....After joining this site, i realized that the sores could be simply raw spots with no pain....i had been incorrect in my answers to my dr.....this delayed my diagnosis.

good luck, stay with us, and we will try to help you get the answers that you are seeking.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    hi aimee,

first, welcome to this wonderful family of the sky. We all care about each other and help whenever we can.

I do not have personal experience with Hashis and graves. I do know that we have some members who deal with these, and i am sure they will be ablong very soon to offer advice.

You need to see a rheumatologist. You should get one of the drs. to refer you to one who they feel would be most knowledgeable.

You say you have no symptoms, but i recommend that you browse around this site and learn about all of the many symptoms that go along with auto immune diseases. Then, make a list of any of the symptoms that you might have ever had. Lupus symptoms are intermittent, meaning that they move around from place to place and come and go from time to time. Also, really think about any symptoms that you might have had....for example, i kept responding "no" each time my rheumie asked me about mouth sores....I thought she meant true open sores that were painful....After joining this site, i realized that the sores could be simply raw spots with no pain....i had been incorrect in my answers to my dr.....this delayed my diagnosis.

good luck, stay with us, and we will try to help you get the answers that you are seeking.
    Thanks mountaindreamer, for your warm welcome. I have been doing some research ever since the blood result came out, and so far to my knowledge only my urticaria and the fact that I have Hashimoto seem suspicious. Also, from what I read, it seems that hormonal inbalance (such as PCOS) can have a link to autoimmune diseases. I am not quite sure about that however because PCOS cause me to have more testerone and less estrogen, and as we all know the level of estrogen is proportional to the trigerring of AI.

I have already made an appointment with an immunologist next week, and hopefully he will be able to give me the answer to my concern.
    Last edited by Aimee; 06-21-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

great job aimee,

you are doing a super job of educating yourself and researching all options. Stay on top of these medical issues, and then you will be able to work with the drs. on the diagnosis and appropriate treatments.

Wishing you the very best.
    Phyllis

share a smile today