Thread: breathing pains

Thanks

Default breathing pains

hi, i am new to this site. i have known i've had lupus for 11 years. i've been managing pretty well. but lately been dealing with pain when i breathe on one side. the pain isn't severe enough to keep me from working or doing things. I was wondering if it might be pleurisy. Anyone had similar symptoms before? I had pleurisy before but way more painful. Any help?

Thanks

Welcome Lindalip!

I have occassionally had pain in my lungs or pain similar to pleurisy, I understand it can be rather common with lupus. If it is consistent, do talk to you rheumy about it. While it could be just one of those cranky pains that we get, it could be something that needs to be looked at.

gentle hugs of welcome!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi and welcome Lindalip :lol:
    There are several reasons why you could be having pain upon breathing. It may be due to your heart or your lungs. The heart and lungs are frequently affected in people with SLE. Complications in these organs can cause a variety of problems. Some problems that can occur are:
    *Pericarditis: inflammation of the lining of the heart
    *Myocarditis: inflammation of the tissue of the heart
    *Coronary vasculitis: inflammation of blood vessels in the heart
    *Pleuritis: inflammation of the sac around the lung
    *Pneumonitis: inflammation of the lung
    *Pulmonary emboli: blood clots in the lung

While lupus can affect the lungs in many ways, pleuritis (pleurisy) is the most common pulmonary manifestation. The pleura is a membrane that covers the outside of the lung and the inside of the chest cavity. It produces a small amount of fluid to lubricate the space between the lung and the chest wall. As lupus activity generates immune complexes, they initiate an inflammatory response at this membrane, a condition called pleuritis. Symptoms of pleuritis are: severe, often sharp, stabbing pain that may be pinpointed to a specific area or areas of the chest. Sometimes the pain is made worse by taking a deep breath, coughing, sneezing, or laughing.
    Other causes for pain when breathing may be Lupus Pneumonitis. This is inflammation within the lung tissue. Infection is the most common cause of pneumonitis in people with lupus. Bacteria, virus, or fungi are organisms that can cause infection in the lung. Sometimes pneumonitis may occur without infection and is then called non-infectious pneumonitis.
    Symptoms of pneumonitis are:
    *fever
    *chest pain
    *shortness of breath
    *cough.
    In any case, as Hatlady said, if the pain continues (regardless of how mild it may be), you should speak to your doctor about it and get tested!!

Take Very Good Care Of Yourself
    Saysusie

Thanks

thanks hatlady and saysusie! that was fast! I think I will talk to my doc if it continues after this week. I took 800 motrin and it seems to help, along with the other usual meds. I also had necrosis of the left hip and if anyone needs advice on the surgery let me know. I had a very successful one. anyway, hope you all are doing well. I'm going to work Wed, Thurs, Fri and be back Sat i'll check in then! Peace and Love, Lindalip

Thanks

Hi..

I've been feeling stabbing pain on my chest too, but not all the time. It feels painful when I breath in or move. It's on & off. Could my raised level of Anti-Cardiolipin Antibodies - Complement 4 (53) be the cause? I read that raised C4 is associated to inflammation. I never thought of going to the doctor on this cos I didn't think it would be anything serious....

Thanks

Hi nwtyng,

We can't really diagnose on this site, I don't think any of us are doctors. But what I'd suggest is to bring it up to your doc. I make a list before I go to each visit, so that my foggy-lupus brain doesn't forget anything. New or "weird" symptoms, changes, questions, new research I've read, whatever.

Even if it isn't something serious, it helps our docs know more about our specific case and situation. A more complete picture is a better picture.

ainting:

Thanks

hi, nwtyng! My doc thinks its pleurisy and increased the medrol I've been taking. Pleurisy is painful, at least mine was, on and off, especially when taking a deep breath or laughing and yawning. My doc says if it doesnt go away in the next couple of weeks, to go see him. Usually, the medrol works. I'll let you know, but I think you should have it checked. The first time I had it I couldn't work and I was extremely short of breath. This time not as severe I can still work out and am not so tired. Hope all is well. Linda