Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Gain

Thanks

Default Weight Gain

Hi all hope everyone is doing ok. I have an issue that is driving me cazy. The past couple of years have gotten much worse for me flare-wise. I have delt with Auto immune issues for ever it seems but did ok until now. I was finally diagnosed with lupus last November, still haven't really spoke to my rheumy about what changed her mind, I see her next week. I also have a diagnosis of Sjogren's syndrome, and Addison's disease.
    So I usually take prednisone and have since 1989 for the Addison's but just a replacement dose of 5mg am and 2.5 mg pm. But after a car accident in 2007 I have gootne much worse and have had to double dose the prednisone much more often. The result is miserable weight gain, I'm not even sure how much but size wise i have went from a 10 to 12 and now up to 14 or 16. It is sooo annoying. No change in diet in fact i honestly don't know how I gain weight on what I eat, my hubby is forever telling me to eat something. But lots of times I don't because it just doesn't seem to matter I gain weight. I do hurt allot more and find that I cannot tolerate my regular activity and also have big issues with the sun. I hurt allot when I am physical and work hard.
    Anybody here have problems with pain and activity? Weight gain? Have you found any solutions? Thanks, Sandra

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    Hi all hope everyone is doing ok. I have an issue that is driving me cazy. The past couple of years have gotten much worse for me flare-wise. I have delt with Auto immune issues for ever it seems but did ok until now. I was finally diagnosed with lupus last November, still haven't really spoke to my rheumy about what changed her mind, I see her next week. I also have a diagnosis of Sjogren's syndrome, and Addison's disease.
    So I usually take prednisone and have since 1989 for the Addison's but just a replacement dose of 5mg am and 2.5 mg pm. But after a car accident in 2007 I have gootne much worse and have had to double dose the prednisone much more often. The result is miserable weight gain, I'm not even sure how much but size wise i have went from a 10 to 12 and now up to 14 or 16. It is sooo annoying. No change in diet in fact i honestly don't know how I gain weight on what I eat, my hubby is forever telling me to eat something. But lots of times I don't because it just doesn't seem to matter I gain weight. I do hurt allot more and find that I cannot tolerate my regular activity and also have big issues with the sun. I hurt allot when I am physical and work hard.
    Anybody here have problems with pain and activity? Weight gain? Have you found any solutions? Thanks, Sandra
    Hi Sandra,

I have the same problem, I have gained about 30 lbs, but I am not on prednisone. I also have a very physical job and because of it I am in alot of pain, some days I can hardly get out of my car, when I come home from work. I think that I am gaining weight, because I am in alot of pain and can't exercise anymore, most days I can't even take a walk.

Debbie
    Last edited by debbie-b; 06-18-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

i have the same problem besides the pain just so tired but can't sleep. the dr told me the only thing that would help if i can't exercise is to stay away from any food that is white, and no sugar that way it doesn't turn into fat. and thats really really hard to do i try every day to do that but by the end of day slip up everytime. lol

Thanks

Ya i get the no white food thing and follow it pretty closely but I find when i am flaring bad and the fatigue is relentless that sometimes the white food what my body screams for and is in fact is one of the things (along with sleep and no over-doing physically or stress-wise) that can really help bring me out of a bad flare and give me my energy back.
    Not to mention when i'm flaring and my GI tract is messed up the only thing that i can eat is stuff that's easy on my system like toast, or half a bagel.
    So frustrating isn't it! Thanks Sandra

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have a problem with pain and activity, but unfortunately I don't have a solution for you. If you come up with a solution, please let me know.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I like the carbs to when in a flare. i have switch to the wonder bread for kids and try the whole grain bagels. believe it or not every little bit helps you might not notice it but it keeps more weight from showing up. i binge eat when i feel good i eat mcdonalds big breakfast during the work week thats my downfall.

just keep up your spirits.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Yes me too especcially lately with new meds.The only solution i had was when i got lock jaw oh the weight fell off...but believe me..sometimes im so hungry its a wonder i still have arms....everything looks so tasty....oh n Mcdonalds..not had that for years.
    But try not to worry at the moment.I too have pain and am less mobile.This week has been so hard to get out of bed,then i get up and before a couple of hours im back in bed.
    When your pain eases just do something easy exercise wise.I used to worry allot,but now i think ive enough to worry about.I know in time when im ready i'll concentrate more on losing my mini me......in the meantime....white chocolate here i come xx

(I know im joking about it....but i know its hard and makes you feel down,me too and many others....set a date....then stick to it...no chocolate,no sugar n fats..do it gradual.Thats what im gonna do starting next tuesday after im put to sleep n loose another 2 teeth).

LOve
    Amanda.xxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Hi everyone!!!!

Like all of you, it is hard for me to exercise due to the pain level. I had surgery last December and gained about 10 pounds during this time and have struggled to take it off since then. It is so hard and so frustrating

I have just started concentrating more on what I eat. I focus on fruits and vegetables in their raw state. I cut dairy out because of my stomach issues and try to stay away from everything except water. I started exercising by walking on a tread mill.This actually hurt my legs pretty bad and I then went and asked my doctor for suggestions on how to exercise with all of this pain. She recommended water therapy! She told me to try walking in the water. Our bodies feel lighter and the resistance the water creates works out your body. I live in a condo right now that has an enormous pool and this really helps. It does not feel like exercise and now with the heat, it is a nice cool down. I would suggest this to anyone! If you actually wanted therapy, there are water therapists out there that you can go to. They will help you do what is best for your body without hurting you.

Good luckto all of us and hopefully we can all find something that works
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi all,

i too have gained weight, and i am sure it is caused by my inability to exercise, or even work in my yard like i used to. Also, lupus zaps our energy, and carbohydrates help give us energy....this is why our bodies scream from something white.

I have tried to very hard to find a way to exercise during all of this, but i just can't find a way. I try to walk, but have to go out in the early morning, and this is when my pain is the worst....i don't have a solution....i try to just love myself as i am.

I have tried to do light weight training, but can't hold the weights because my hands hurt too bad.....

I have found that gentle water aerobics is something that i can do pretty well. My local pool offers classes twice a week, and i do try to make at least one class per week. It only costs $3.00 so is not too hard on pocket book.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    hi all,

i too have gained weight, and i am sure it is caused by my inability to exercise, or even work in my yard like i used to. Also, lupus zaps our energy, and carbohydrates help give us energy....this is why our bodies scream from something white.

I have tried to very hard to find a way to exercise during all of this, but i just can't find a way. I try to walk, but have to go out in the early morning, and this is when my pain is the worst....i don't have a solution....i try to just love myself as i am.

I have tried to do light weight training, but can't hold the weights because my hands hurt too bad.....

I have found that gentle water aerobics is something that i can do pretty well. My local pool offers classes twice a week, and i do try to make at least one class per week. It only costs $3.00 so is not too hard on pocket book.

Mountaindreamer,

You made a beautiful point..........you try to love yourself just the way you are. That is a great point we all need to remember. These are our bodies and we only get one this lifetime and we should love it just as it is........thank you for reminding us
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram