Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fingernails and headache

Thanks

Default Fingernails and headache

I've had a horrible headache for the past two days. Nothing will get rid of it, not even my fast acting migraine meds. Literally, my head is pounding. Is this something that is common for Lupus?
    Also, my nails have become really, really brittle lately. Up until a couple weeks ago, I had long nails, always have. Now they are all splitting and breaking off. They are now very short. When I push on them they feel soft. It's strange because I used to have really strong nails.
    Anyone experience this? If so, what can I do? I put Eucerin on my hands about 4 times a day because they are so dry. I'm not sure if that's helping or hurting the fingernail situation.
    Thanks for your help!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi shepard girl,

i know migraines run with lupus, and i know once i had one so bad that lasted for so long, i ended up in ER getting an IV for relief. I have had them so bad that my meds would not work, and it is such a difficult symptom to deal with.

the fingernail issues could be due to some of the meds, but not sure. I have gone through periods of time where my nails were very weak and brittle, and then it seems to pass. Do you take calcium tablets each day, my dr. has me on 2 tablets (with vit. d) each day. I think this might help with nails.

sorry your head is hurting so bad, hope you find some way to get relief from the pain.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

I am not on calcium. Is that something that I should be taking? Do you think it would be OK to take regardless of my diagnosis? Seriously, I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks

I have had bad headaches for a while now, the doctor says its from the prednisone, but seriously, i have had them for a few years and ive only been on pred for 2 months, so im pretty sure the pred makes no difference, its just something i have...
    The fingernails...interestingly enough, since i was diagnosed my nails have gotten so much stronger and they actually look good for the first time in my life! So i cant help you there sorry!!
    I hope the headache goes away soon for you, i know how horrible migraines and headaches are...i actually have called in sick to work today because i had a migraine last night/this morning...
    *~* Monique *~*

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Many of us suffer from Lupus Headaches that are very similar to migraines. However, they do not often respond to migraine medication. Often, treating the underlying disorder (the Lupus) helps the headaches. I suffer from them also and my doctor has tried several treatments to help with them. Most have not worked that well for me. But taking the migraine meds along with complete darkness, complete quiet, and lots of water has helped.
    I hope that you find some relief from your headaches and that you find the root cause!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanks for replying. Still have a headache.
    I see my pcp tomorrow morning for my thyroid check. Maybe she can help me out with understanding all this or maybe just get the headache to go away. Really, either/ or for me right now will do.

Thanks

I was so surprised, because those are the same symptoms I've been having since last year. The nails being brittle I noticed it got worse last week, when I woke up the next morning after a severe migraine attack and saw that the top was bright white and worse than they were before.

I've always have strong nails too, so I was asking myself the same question, if it's related to Lupus or not. The breaking off nails started about 2 weeks ago and now I have very short nails too.

I will be reading the responses.

Hugs,

Margie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I can't help with the headaches.

everything comes out in your nails and hair and when your in a flare it affects them. also any meds your taking affect them also. thats why they are brittle and splitting.

hope your headaches go away soon.

Thanks

OMG do i EVER understand the nail thing! UGH! My nails are down to nothing! They are also pitted! It hurts cuz they are so short! I never was one for the fancy nails cuz ive always been a gardener, tending to kids , or cleaning but, they have NEVER been barely there! LOL Oh well, at least they dont get in the way of anything thats for sure!!!! LOL
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi shepherdgirl. How are you today? Did the pcp have any answers about your head pain? ((((Hugs))))