Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Are You?

Thanks

Talking Who Are You?

We spend so much time talking about Lupus...and some talking about ourselves...but do we really know one another? I figured we could start a thread to tell each other about ourselves. I'll start!!

My name is Carrie. I'm technically Carolyn, but I feel like that makes me sound too old. I'm 31 years young, married for nearly five of those years, and mother to a beautiful 3-year old daughter named Adrienne (who is also Annie).

I'm a Gemini in all aspects...overly creative, overly emotional, and overly empathetic...not that any of those are bad things! I love the color purple, she scent of fresh-cut grass, the sound of my daughter laughing, and sushi. Sushi is good. Always.

I'm a music buff...any genre, any style...just play it loud! I'm a huge fan of Degas and the other Impressionist painters, as well as a huge fan of 80's music. I would die without my bubble baths and my makeup. I just about go into cardiac arrest when I walk by a Sephora or Ulta!

I speak three languages...English, Spanish, and Japanese. I can peel a banana with my toes. I can write equally well with both hands, but prefer the right. I cry every time I watch "City of Angels," which is my favorite movie. I know several celebrities, none of which I will name, but you know all of them. I could sleep for a week straight if I was allowed. I have lived through two heart attacks and a brain hemorrhage...so SLE and RA are not that big a deal for me. I was born without a gallbladder (true story!) and with my umbilical cord triple-knotted around my neck. I've been a "lost cause" for so many years, I feel that it's my God-given duty to make the best of what I've been given. That's what I intend to do.

I hate beets, bigots, and Paris Hilton. I used to wish that I could grow up to be the Sun when I was little. I find solace in My God, my friends, and my family...and a good glass of Pinot every now and again. I have a younger sister who looks nothing like me (she's gorgeous). I'm rabidly protective of those I love. I can write in hieroglyphics. As much as I love my daughter, I can't wait until she's old enough so I can go back to work as a radiographer. I can belch the alphabet on command. I have no shame (can you tell?), and don't understand people who do.

I am proud of my heritage, and feel that it's very important to revisit your past to know where you've come from. I live life loud...I'm not your typical housewife, but I always bring an apple pie to new people in my neighborhood. I have one tattoo...the Japanese symbol for "now" (Ima) on my back, right above my right kidney. I wish I had more!

I am the proudest parent you'll ever meet. I love animals...I even paid $100 once to have my Betta fish euthanized when she got too old and sick. I love the outdoors, and am a camping fanatic. I make the best clam sauce spaghetti in the world, and will be happy to share my recipe with any of you!

My name is Carrie...and my toenails are purple, as you may have guessed. I can't wait to find out about you.
    Blessings,
    Carrie

"I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe."

Thanks

Hi Carrie!!
    I really enjoyed reading all about you!! Your daughter is gorgeous (i saw her pic in the other thread) and you sound like such a proud mum! I cant believe you ahve had 2 heart attacks & a hemorrage- you are definately meant to be here!!!
    Great idea for a thread! I guess i will have a go!!

Im Monique, my middle name is Elizabeth and i live in eastern Melbourne, Australia. I am 19 years old (20 in 3 weeks time...). I live with my parents and my 17 year old brother Sam. My sister Nicole (25) lives with her fiance...they are getting married on December 4th and i cant wait, its going to be great .
    I work part time at a 5 star hotel as a receptionist...checking people in & out, answering the phone etc. Its ok, i work 8hr shifts so i get pretty tired, but hey it puts petrol in my car!! I also go to uni. Im studying to become a teacher, and i love it. I am in my 2nd year of a 4 year course. I had my first lot of teaching rounds a few weeks ago and i cant wait to do it again!!
    I drive a Kia Cerato, bit of a grandmas car lol, but ah well!! It has good pretrol consumption lol....Ummm what else....
    My favourite bands ever are No Doubt and Black Eyed Peas (pre fergie). I am shattered No Doubt is only touring USA, extremely upset lol.
    My favourite colour is blue and silver and also pink LOL...
    I love my AFL, and am a proud Geelong member and supporter !!!!
    I have 2 dogs and a cat and i love them lots!! Lila is my kitty, she is black and white and a bit anti social, but she loves me!! Ruby is my dog, she is 18 months old, a cavalier x maltese...she is just gorgeous...she is so well behaved and she just loves being cuddled!! And April is my new addition!! She is just 14 weeks old, a beagle x cavalier! She is a typical naughty puppy at the moment, but im sure she will learn!! She is adorable too!
    I think thats about it!! Cant wait to hear all about everyone!!!

Monique xxx
    *~* Monique *~*

Thanks

Default About me....

That was such fun reading about both of you...Carrie and Monique...I totally enjoyed learning about you.

I'll give this a try...................I'm Lori...and I just turned 46 years old a few hours ago. Today....Sunday, June 7th, is my Birthday. I've stayed up late to get a head start on the celebrating........

Let's see, what else about me?? I love the color Pink......and Purple comes in a close second. I absolutely LOVE my music....Hard Rock...Reggae....the Blues. Really quite diverse, with the exception of Country A N D Western and German Opera.
    My absolute favorites are Pink Floyd and Bob Marley. I LOVE JAMAICA! I also like Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Tracy Chapman, Al Dimeola, Jon Anderson, Mark Knopfler, Maroon 5, Stevie Ray Vaughn and on and on.

I love to dance! And I also Love Sailing and Lighthouses and Sunsets and Hummingbirds and anywhere the Ocean meets the sand. I love to read...plant flowers, get manicures and pedicures for a treat, make every day count and bake chocolate chip cookies. I own a race car...my husband's. I am on his pit crew. My favorite team sport is Soccer....Manchester United is my fav team...Christiano Ronaldo my fav player. I have eaten rattlesnake.

I love to wear jeans and go barefoot. I love to shop....clothes and shoes are my specialty. I have been told I am the 'cool Mom', because I will let 10 teenage boys have Nerf gun fights around my house, and the fridge is on a 'help yourselves' basis and I will give rides home at 1 am. I love Sci-Fi movies....#1...Lord of the Rings, Star Wars & Star Trek....

I hope, one day, to be able to write a book.

If I could have only one wish granted in my lifetime, I would wish for Lupus to be cured. And all autoimmunes....and MS.

I was diagnosed with Lupus six months out of High School, at age 18. I had to give up a scolarship. I have learned how to battle IT for 27 years....I will NEVER let it beat me! EVER!! (Even if you read that I died of complications from Lupus...don't ever think for a minute that it beat me...)

I have broken my lower back and spent a full year of my life in a hospital bed at home...all during the first year of my marriage. During that time, I read the Bible, cover to cover. I have had both of my hips replaced. I have an upcoming surgery to fuse my wrist. I never, ever go to the hopsital without my makeup, a picture of my children, and my pillow from home. And I don't take any crap from any nurses....or doctors for that matter. Make that a rule for yourselves.

I am stronger than I EVER thought I could be....

I am married to Bruce, the most amazing man on the planet (we met when I was 15 and he was 18), we are coming up on our 26th Wedding Anniversary in a few weeks...and it's better than ever. I have 2 miracle children...my Son is 16, and my Daughter is 13. My husband and children are my absolute Joy in this world....I would not be here without them. And I mean that literally.

I am blessed to be the daughter of 2 of the most wonderful parents in the world. They gave me the gift of a stable, loving home. Thank you Mom and Dad. They were with me when I was diagnosed, and have never failed to be there for me since. My Sister is my best friend, and is my greatest supporter. She means the world to me....She is amazingly strong. And my Brother, who lives in California, is a Palm expert and dresses better than I do. He is another one of my best friends.

I have been blessed to be a stay-at-home Mom for the past 13 years, and I love it! I have watched my children grow up and been there for everything along the way. It was a hard adjustment at first, giving up working fulltime, but it has made a huge difference in my Lupus and health, and I am certain I have made a huge difference in my children's lives because of it.

I am blessed to know that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior...a GIFT I do not take for granted one single day.

Lastly, I am very thankful that I have found some wonderful friends here, that truly understand me....and the struggles that only "we" can know. I no longer feel alone. And I thank YOU all for that.

with much Love,

Lori....a.k.a...Rastagirl
    Last edited by Rastagirl; 06-07-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Brain fog

Thanks

WOW Lori...such a powerful story! Another HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, and thank you for sharing!!!
    Blessings,
    Carrie

"I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe."

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Smile

Mt name is Bonita but everyone calls me Bonnie. I am 60 will be 61 in August and was diagnosised in July 2007 after 11 days in the hospital and months of all kinds of symptoms and was sent home with a fever of 100.3 which i ran most of the time i was in there. I think i was put through every test they could find and sent for a pet scan a Hershey Hospital in Hershey, Pa, where i live about 25 miles away from ther in Pennsylvania. I told them i had the 100.3 degree diease but the rhuemetologist they gave me was a young man who turned out to be a wonderfull doctor who even calls me on my cell phone to answer my questions which i have had many because i do not know any one who has lupus and myositis which i was finally diagnosised with. I will be married 43 years in July to Tom and we have 3 children and 5 grandchildren who call me memaw. My family si the joy of my life and i thank God for them every day. It is so hard to watch them struggle with money issues and wish i could fix them especially the grandkids with college but we are both on retirement me with dissability. I was a nurses aid in a nursing home for 21 years before i got hurt and had 2 back surgeries the first laid me up for a year because they went through my chest and broke off a rib ro get to my surgery site because my spinal cord was 50% compressed and i had to hire a lawyer to help me get my bills paid and my retirement because they did not believe it was work related and i won after the doctors they sent me to told them i need to see a nuerosurgeon. I now have degenerative diease in my spine. But this is life and if you give in to your problems you will be lost so i live life the best i can. My favorite color is green i have no pets because of allergies i am active in my church and thank God everyday for giving me His Son as my Saviour. I really enjoy reading about everyone and thank everyone for all the kind words and th help. Bonita

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi,

I'm Rob, your friendly neighborhood moderator. I'm 41, and I live on the coast of Maine. I was diagnosed with SLE 5 1/2 years ago and MS just one year ago. Two for one-what a deal! (not)

I served 4 years active duty in the U.S. Army as a driver, and later on, a commander on an M-1 Abrams tank. I went to college and technical school for a few years after the Army and moved to Arizona. I started my own business, and did contract work for the Dept. of Defense in the area of smallarms design, development, and manufacturing. I was also a civillian firearms instructor for various police/tactical teams as well as some military special operations teams. And I did some work for a couple of movie studios on prop guns used in few action flicks. That was really fun.

After my SLE diagnosis I went on disability and had to sell the business. I decided to make a clean start by moving back to Maine and being close to my family. I spend my good summer days sailing, kayaking, and flying (hopefully not crashing) model airplanes. I spend my winters tinkering with toy trains and building more model planes. I'm a cat lover, and have three-Sophie, Sasha, and Fuzzy. Their pictures are in my photo album. My musical tastes are across the board. On my CD rack you'll see Andrea Bocelli and Enya next to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. I also love The Eagles, and Bob Seger. Did I mention I am a total sci-fi geek? Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica-it's all great stuff. I'm a voracious reader and history buff, and I have a fairly large library of books. In my den/library room there are a couple reproduction Frederick Remington Paintings, and a small collection of model ships, mostly schooners, that I've built over the years. Of course, with three cats, they are all behind glass! I also donate my time and model-building abilities to a couple of local museums, last year I built a model of an aircraft for a new Tuskeegee Airmen exhibit at one museum. I've also built a few model aircraft for the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C..

My parents, and my two older sisters are only a 15 minute drive away. My Father served in the Marine Corps and then spent 28 years in federal law enforcement with the Treasury Dept. and Secret Service. Needless to say, he was a major influence in my career choices. Most of my family has been in the military and/or law enforcement at some point. Right now I have a nephew in Army Special Forces, and a Niece with the TSA.

I had some really terrible things happen not long after my SLE diagnosis, but that's behind me now and I'm slowly building myself a new life that fits within the limits Lupus imposes on me. I had hoped that putting 3000 miles between me, and the pain of my girlfriend/fiancee leaving me over the SLE diagnosis, would help me cope. I did to a certain point, but the only thing that really helps with the loss of friends, and of dreams, is time. I miss my business, my employees, and the sheer fun of living my dream job. I don't miss the stress though, and there is alot of it in that particular line of work. I'm happy to live in a nice peaceful little patch of wilderness, away from it all. And I'm very thankful that I have a family who understands this disease. My mother understands all too well as she was diagnosed with SLE 15 years ago. I try to tell my family as often as I can that their understanding and support means the world to me-it wasn't always that way. Even when you think all is lost, and there's no hope, you can find new friends, you can mend fences with family, and you can find new dreams to live for.

That's pretty much the short version of my story, and a little bit of who I am. This thread is a great idea, it's really interesting to read all of your stories. Thanks.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 06-08-2009 at 05:38 AM.

Thanks

It has been cool reading all these posts...Rasta HAPPY BIRTHDAY...

My name is Karen and I am 47 years old...I have been married 26 years and we have 10 living children (6 girls and 4 boys)...Our first child who is 25 was born 10 1/2 months after we got married. We spent our first anniversary sleeping( my mom kept the baby)...

I have actually had 9 children...8 are still alive...I have had to bury one child...that is something nobody should have to do...there is not a day that I do not think about Christopher...he would be 12 years old...

we adopted 2 children 7 years ago...they were visiting some of out kids when their lives were turned upside down...there were drugs (meth and marijuana) and abuse happening on a regular basis...when the state stepped in...we were made a "safe House" and the kids have been with us ever since...(their mom and dad and all relatives didn't really want them so they never did what it took to get the children back, what losers)

I live in the state of Texas....I have traveled to London, Paris, Scotland, and Russia....

I am 3/4 Scottish and 1/4 Choctaw Indian...My Great-great, etc...grandparents walked the trail of tears...

My father died a few years ago...from cancer of the esophagus which started with Barretts Disease...I was dx'ed with Barretts shortly after he died...My mom is still alive and has since remaried to a great guy.

My childhood consisted of much abuse but I have been able to overcome most of the pitfalls( I never abused my children)

My favorite color is Blue and white...together...

I bacame a grandmother 14 months ago and my life has taken on a new dimension.

While growing up I was in a great church...there was a school and club attached and I attended everything...when I got old enough I started working in the clubs and going to teach at their summer camp...

My father was a chamion water skier( in his day) he had the longest jump in the guinness book of records and he was a clown at Cyprus Gardens...most of my childhood in the warmer months( in this part of Texas that is about 7 months out of the year) was spent at the lake skiing...Dad wanted to make me and my siblings champion water skiiers...I could do tricks like putting my foot in the rope and skiing on one foot with the other one holding the rope...(look ma no hands)

I was the waterski coach at the children's camp....I have been called back to the camp this year and hope I don't end up in a flare...I will be teaching the last 2 weeks of this months...the camp is in Oklahoma.

I am very tired at the moment and am trying to stave off a flare up...if given the chance I would sleep for a week straight...

I guess that is enough...I am a Christian and count myself very blessed...
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Default What a great idea

Hello all. My name is Gayle and I am 31 years old and I live in Tampa, FL. I was recently told I either have SLE or mixed connective tissue disorder. Which doesn't surprise me all that much as this is the 3rd autoimmune disease I've had. As a teenager I developed Grave's disease and psoriasis. Sometimes I wonder about my own body's desire to attack itself. I'm not married but I have been in a commited relationship for the last year and 1/2 with a pretty great guy. It has been difficult at times recently with me feeling so bad. He is quite a bit younger than me (only 24) and I think because of this at times he has difficulty understanding and coping with my being sick. But he does try very hard to be supportive most of the time. I do worry sometimes however, that he won't want to stay with someone who's sick for the rest of his life.

My childhood was fairly dysfunctional as both my parents were alcoholics and they divorced when I was a teenager. But my mom got sober and completely turned her life around and is remarried to a great guy and has been an inspiration to me. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for my father and as a result he and I rarely speak. I myself battled severe depression and addiction in my late teens and early 20's but I am very proud to say that I have been clean and sober over 7 years now. I turned my own life around and went back to school and finished my degree in psychology.

We have 3 cats Dante, Wicket, and Sebastian. Dante is fat and lazy and loves everyone, Sebastian is cranky and hates everyone but my boyfriend Ryan (he had this cat before we met and the other 2 were mine). Wicket is the most neurotic cat you'll ever meet and she and Sebastian fight constantly to our great dismay.

I now work for the state investigating child abuse. It is an extremely stressful job (I am the person who actually has to take the kids away when they are abused) and I am fairly certain that this has greatly contributed to my decline in health as it started just a few months after I took the job. Sometimes the job can be very rewarding, but unfortunately the rewards come few and far between most of the time. I have been looking for a less stressful job but the economy sucks and I can't risk losing the health insurance at this point. Actually I would love nothing more than to go back to school and get my master's degree in child psychology and I am really hoping to get my health under control enough to do so.

My favorite music is old school punk rock and indie (not the stuff they play on the radio these days). I grew up in combat boots and my hair has been every color of the rainbow, but these days I have settled on red. I am a natural brunette but those who know me best say that I dye my hair to match my personality and I should have been born a redhead. I used to have lots of piercings but they are mostly gone now. I do have some tattoos. I have 10 japanese symbols that run all the way down my spine and a tat of yoda on my ankle-I too am a sci-fi nerd! I have been a vegetarian since I was 13 (I tried veganism but I love cheese too much). I used to be very physically active and worked out every day. That's another thing I hope to be able to do again, maybe not to the extent that I once did but I hope to be able to go hiking again every once in a while. At this point even a short walk is difficult but I m hoping that now that I am finally getting treatment things will improve. I am trying to have hope and faith.

I have great friends who are very supportive but I am also glad to have found somewhere that I can go to talk to people that understand how I am feeling.

Thanks

It was interesting reading about all of you. Carrie, you cracked me up! Belching the alphabet?! Lol!

I'm Lisa. I was diagnosed with Lupus in '05. I am 35. I think a stressful situation back in 2005 brought on the flare & diagnosis. Last year, I was diagnosed with fibro & high blood pressure. Similiar stressful situation triggered, imo. Who knows?! I can't belch the alphabet but I can easily say it backwards. I'm a psychologist. I work for a large school system evaluating children and providing therapy as well as independent contracting evaluating kids in juvenile systems. I love it! I've been married 4 years to the love of my life. He's amazing and very supportive. I have 6 siblings, one died shortly after birth (all my best friends). They're amazing and very supportive. I have no children yet. I do have 2 precious cats. Both 11 years old. I enjoy hanging out with my family, having barbeques, dancing, listening to music, roller coaster rides, and swimming. I don't have a favorite color. I like 'em all. My favorite movie is The Notebook. In fact, I might watch that today.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default This is a wonderful thread

I truly enjoyed reading about everyone in this thread. Some of you, I feel I already know fairly well and others, I am glad to get to know.

So, I am Saysusie. WeHaveLupus was a gift to me from our Beloved Moderator, Conrad, in memory of my precious daughter, Lauri.
    I am 58 years old and have been married (as of May 24th) for 36 years to my best friend and the love of my life. We have a son, Rudy, who is 37 years old (no counting you guys -lol) and Lauri would have been 34 years old this year.
    Many of you know that I am a professional singer (mostly jazz). However, I started my career as a professional model in 1968. It was during that time when African-American models were few, far and in between. So, I was recruited out of High School and modeled until I was 38 years old. If you are able to find some really old "Seventeen" magazines, you'll find me in there quite often. Also, I was under contract to "Sears" and modeled for their catalogs for years. My niche, however, was runway modeling for designers!
    During this same time, I sang as a studio musician for a couple of record labels and also as a back-up singer for some pretty well known artists. However, when my son was born...I stopped singing (I don't know why), but I continued to do runway modeling part time while I continued my education. I received my Masters in Education because I thought that I wanted to teach. Well, I did teach, but I never became tenured because I did not have the personality to teach. Instead, I went into Law-Enforcement and did that for 25 years (until I retired).
    I was always very athletic (in high school, I competed in track & swimming) and loved being outdoors. As an adult married woman, I was working full time in Law Enforcement, still modeling part time and also teaching aerobics part time (quite a contradiction in lifestyles huh?).
    All of these activities came to a screeching halt when my daughter was diagnosed with Lupus and her life changed drastically. It was my daughter who convinced me to start singing again and she was my biggest fan! After we lost her.....my life virtually stopped for many years. With the help of friends, family, prayer, and lots and lots of therapy...I started singing again and started living again. I, first, made a CD in my daughter's memory and since then, I have done two spiritual CDs and am currently finishing a jazz CD.
    WeHaveLupus is one of the most important parts of my life and, without it, I don't think that I could have emerged from my darkness after the loss of my child.
    Today, I sing frequently because it was important to Lauri that I sing and because I love the art. Due to my illness, being athletic is a thing of the past. But, Oluwa and I find solace and strength in the pool. I work from my home as a grant writer for non-profits and faith-based organizations and can say that I am relatively happy, if not healthy!!
    It is wonderful to participate in this thread and getting to know all of you!!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!