Thread: What now?!?!

Thanks

Question What now?!?!

So, lately I have been doing pretty good, as far as lupus symptoms go.... Only achey once in a while, and not as fatigued as I was in the past. My liver functions are up high, about AST 72 and an ALT of 143... The doctor has done an ultrasound and that came back "normal." They dont seem to be too awfuly worried that one of them is double what it is supposed to be... Lately my blood pressure has been very low for me. I usually run about 120/75- 135/80. I have taken in for about a week now and it is between 90/58 and 110/68... I have been getting so dizzy upon standing that a few times I feel like I am going to pass out. My head hurts really bad my vision blackens from the outside inward, and I feel like I am about to pass out! I noticed about two weeks ago my thighs were getting numb, and I passed it off as nothing but now I noticed today that my skin is numb to semi-numb all the way down almost to my ankles!!!

EDIT: And I forgot to add the incredible ease at which I have been bruising lately!!!!!!

I know everyone is going to say to talk to my doctor, but I have and they have not even raised an eyebrow.... the one doctor told me to just incorporate more sodium in my diet... which is something I already get alot of!

Has anyone else ever experienced these symptoms or anything like this? If my doctor is not being overly concerned should I not be? I just hear so many horror stories of people who didnt do anything becuase their doctors didnt really care, and they end up having these really complicated issues because of it!!!
    Last edited by norachelhere; 06-06-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

have you been eating regularly? what kind of meds are you on? have they checked you for a coagulant disorder? i have the lupus anticoagulant antibody that allows me to bruise with such ease and they don't go away for weeks. my pressure usually runs 108/whatever, but i'm very petite being 5' and 115lbs. i do, however, get like that once in a while where i stand up and lose vision and get dizzy and have to sit back down. i've had this symptom for a few years now. i have no idea what it could be. sorry i just told you a whole lot and nothing all at the same time. i think what i'm trying to say is go to the doctor. maybe no you rheumy but maybe your primary. sorry i'm not much help.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.

Thanks

I would def. talk to your doctor. Im not sure about the blood pressue or dizziness, but the bruising...
    I had a lot of bruising, i was bruising at the slightest knock, and the bruises were big and lasted a long time...i ignored it and thought whatever...I then ended up in hospital with a platelet count of 0..i was in there for a week on IV and meds...My body was making antibodies against my platelets.
    It may not be anything, but i would definately go to the doc sooner rather than later, i ignored it and ended up in hospital, otherwise it would have just been medication and on my way if i had gone earlier...
    Good luck with everything!! I hope i didnt scare you!
    *~* Monique *~*

Thanks

If the doctors ignored you, go back and get their attention. Or find someone who will pay attention. Sometimes our symptoms are not serious, sometimes they are. It is important that the determination of what these symptoms mean is made with thought, rather than disregard. Try keeping a written record of what is happening and when. Is it before you eat, after you eat, only upon arising? When did the numbness start, and how? Does it creep down your legs, or is it numb all at once?

Be as specific as possible when you go back. If you still don't get any answers, seek a second opinion. Be firm in your approach and take charge of your appointment. It will make a world of difference as to how your concerns are addressed.

Wishing you wellness,

Jana
    Life is measured not by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by norachelhere View Post
    So, lately I have been doing pretty good, as far as lupus symptoms go.... Only achey once in a while, and not as fatigued as I was in the past. My liver functions are up high, about AST 72 and an ALT of 143... The doctor has done an ultrasound and that came back "normal." They dont seem to be too awfuly worried that one of them is double what it is supposed to be... Lately my blood pressure has been very low for me. I usually run about 120/75- 135/80. I have taken in for about a week now and it is between 90/58 and 110/68... I have been getting so dizzy upon standing that a few times I feel like I am going to pass out. My head hurts really bad my vision blackens from the outside inward, and I feel like I am about to pass out! I noticed about two weeks ago my thighs were getting numb, and I passed it off as nothing but now I noticed today that my skin is numb to semi-numb all the way down almost to my ankles!!!

EDIT: And I forgot to add the incredible ease at which I have been bruising lately!!!!!!

I know everyone is going to say to talk to my doctor, but I have and they have not even raised an eyebrow.... the one doctor told me to just incorporate more sodium in my diet... which is something I already get alot of!

Has anyone else ever experienced these symptoms or anything like this? If my doctor is not being overly concerned should I not be? I just hear so many horror stories of people who didnt do anything becuase their doctors didnt really care, and they end up having these really complicated issues because of it!!!
    I'm experiencing a lot of what you are . . . bruising easily (found out my platelets are really low) & elevated enzymes. Your doctor sounds like a moron. I hate to be nasty but I can't stand nonchalant doctors not doing their job. You need to find a new rheumatologist. I had one like yours, every time I had a new symptom or labs indicated something potentially problematic, his answer was always "I don't know." I was so frustrated. So, I looked for a new one. . . asked around. . . finally I have an excellent rheumatologist. We have to be vigilant if our doctors aren't.

Thanks

If your personal physician don't listen find one that does because what you are feeling is real and prevention is always better. Get yourself someone who will listen to you.

Thanks

How frustrating! I bet you have had just about enough. I am so sorry you are going through this. One think you must remember is that you are your own advocate and if we do not push for answers, a lot of the time doctors will not look for the answers. Your symptoms are alarming and should be addressed. I would hate to hear that you are in the hospital because this was not addressed properly. I would try your primary doctor. They can run a whole panel and really look at what might be going on. Hopefully it is something easy to fix and you will feel better in no time at all! I will be thinking about you and please update us all on how this goes and what you find out!
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram