Thread: DX with Psoriatic Arthritis, any helpful info?

Thanks

Question DX with Psoriatic Arthritis, any helpful info?

Just dx with psoriatic arthrits this week, but having trouble on finding info for it. Can anyone help me learn more info on this?

Rheumy said I may not have much skin issues, but that will probably show later. Seems only 15-20% get psoriatic arthritis before psoriasis. I have had 2 rashes on scalp, mild one on each side of nose and behind ears. Severely itchy skin, but nothing shows. Really bad dry skin. Joints mainly effected he said is hands and feet, they do seem to be the worse. Gave Methrotexrate, even though blood work and spine x-ray not back yet. He says he's almost certain, with no doubt. Said if test do not confirm, he'll call right away to stop. It was my first visit to him. He seem to be more helpful and kind than the ones before. I hope he turns out to be good.

I like to be informed and know what to do. When was dx with FMS, many helped with info and sites. Hoping someone out there can help me again on getting info and understanding.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Oh Cheryl,

Sorry for the diagnosis but at least now you know.I am always weary of when Doctors say you have something before bloods come back,as they said i have Lupus,but bloods said different.
    Just be careful. Hope you feel a touch better. I found this for you.If you need any more.let me know .xxx

http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6029/6029.asp
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

That's what my rheumatologist thought I had at first because I have had psoriasis for over 10 years and my psoriasis has been getting MUCH worse lately. But when blood work came back it was more suggestive of lupus or mixed connective tissue and was negative on the x-rays and blood work. However, she said it still can't be ruled out completely as 20% have negative blood work for it and sometimes you can't tell on xrays if the damage to the joints has not progressed enough. It is so frustrating that so many of these conditions have so much overlap and are so difficult to diagnose. I wish there was just one sure test for each... But the National Psoriasis Foundation has some good info as well as mayoclinic.com. Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks

Wink

Thanks for the link Amanda. Going there to read on it. I am leary too, been dx with RA and early lupus before blood work. Then told they were wrong. Even with FMS I wasn't to sure of it either, it never explained the joint pain. Just explained everything else. This is about the closest thing to seem to cover it all. I want to be more informed and understand it before next appointment in 2wks. I have never cared for not understanding what they are talking about. This way I understand and know what I want to ask. If it does turn out this is not it and test are negative for psoriatic arthrits, then I'll just be full of more useless knowledge. I always do like being prepared, best that I can be.

Thanks for the site info scarlet13, I'll check it out too. I know I shouldn't except dx before the test. Maybe I'll hold out on the med then. Just to be safe I guess.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Hi Cheryl,
    After many tests and several docs over the last two years, I've been told that I tested somewhat positive to Lupus, psoriatic arthritis, RA and Sjrogren's, so the rheumy called it a mixed connective tissue disease. My rheumy has put me on planquenil and MTX. I also have osteonecrosis, spasmodic dysphonia and Meniere's syndrome, so I'm juggling lots of docs and lots of treatments.
    The MTX/planquenil seems to be helping a bit. For the first time in two years, the rash on my cheeks and neck is finally fading a bit! Hang in there. I hope that it helps you. I did a lot of research on the psoriatic arthritis, too. Like you, I've gotten to know a lot of information about a lot of stuff lately. I do seem to fit in on all of those connective tissue diseases. It is frustrating to have a little bit of ALL of them!
    Good luck,
    Marla

Thanks

My rheumatologist was going to give me methotrexate as she said that it works as a treatment for pretty much all the possibilities. She just couldn't start me on it yet as I have an enlarged lymph node that needs to be biopsied for possible lymphoma and methotrexate has been associated with lymphomas in long term use so she just wanted to be sure I don't already have that before prescribing. Maybe the methotrexate would give you some relief either way?

Thanks

Smile

Thanks scarlet and marla, I will start mtx monday. Just was unsure for a bit, until you said its treated other things too. Makes me a bit at ease then to take it. Was told no drinking at all while on it, take folic acid every day and tested every 1-2mths for liver enzymes level. Does that sound about right?

Reading more on it, learning of yet another auto-immune disease. At least we will be able to help others with what we learn along the way I guess. In 2wks I get a definete yes or no on dx.

Next week I get results on MRI and EEG. Memory issues latey too as well. The fun just never ends, LOL.
    Cheryl