Thread: Just introducing myself....

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Just introducing myself....

Hi, My name is Melissa and I have SLE, sjogrens syndrome, mitral valve prolapse and diabetes. I suppose I have MMP for short. Multiple medical problems.

I was diagnosed in 2002 and my symptoms were first a minor rash, a heaviness in my chest, some headaches,SEVERE fatigue that I could not really describe and memory and concentration problems. At first I was in denial and I thought the docs were CrAzY!!! I went from NO MEDS to many meds. I thought I was imagining everything and I was CrAzY too. My rheumy told me that this was just the beginning and they were right because over just 3 years everytime i got a flare it manifested itself in so many different ways. I have not really had too much joint problems but I have have now or have experienced migraine headaches, rashes, interstitial lung disease, night sweats, mouth sores, and the list goes on. I seem to get flares in the heat. Last year and right now, I have been experiencing severe exhaustion, right sided headaches with tachycardia (fast heartbeat) memory problems and unable to concentrate. I dont know what the future is for someone in my situation. I am a single parent of 2. A boy (almost 15 and a girl almost 10). I work FT for a radiology firm and I sometimes dont know how I get up each day and work 8 hours. But the alternative is living on $800.00 a month and I could not live like that. I feel trapped.

Right now I would like to ask if anyone has experienced my current symptoms and if they know about B 12 deficiency? My sister mentioned to me to get tested?

Also, is anyone in the Sacramento, CA area??

Thanks for listening!!

Melissa
    ~*~Being kind to others not only changes you....it changes the world!!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Melissa :lol:
    Welcome to our forum where you will never hear "You are Crazy" or "It is all in your head!". We know that what you are going through is very real and we are here to listen, to support, to give information and to offer comfort when you need it.
    About B12 deficiency:
    Vitamin B12 is essential for normal nervous system function and blood cell production. The main sources of vitamin B12 include meat, eggs, and dairy products. For vitamin B12 to be absorbed by the body, it must bind to intrinsic factor, a protein secreted by cells in the stomach.
    Causes of vitamin B12 deficiency include:
    * A diet low in vitamin B12 (for example, a strict vegetarian diet that excludes all meat, fish, dairy products, and eggs)
    * Chronic alcoholism
    * Abdominal or intestinal surgery that affects intrinsic factor production or absorption
    * Crohn's disease
    * Intestinal malabsorption disorders
    * Fish tape worm
    * Pernicious anemia, which is caused by a lack of intrinsic factor
    Symptoms Include:
    * Loss of appetite
    * Diarrhea
    * Numbness and tingling of hands and feet
    * Paleness
    * Shortness of breath
    * Fatigue
    * Weakness
    * Sore mouth and tongue
    * Confusion or change in mental status in severe or advanced cases
    The problem with B12 deficiency is that it is found in the foods that we are told to avoid, such as: animal protein foods?meat and poultry, fish, eggs, and dairy products. However, eating small amounts of these foods supply sufficient amounts of vitamin B12 to provide enough for healthy people. People who lack intrinsic factor or have a malabsorption condition need to depend on high amounts of vitamin B12 from supplements and not the lower amounts found in food.
    Treatment for this condition involves replacing the missing vitamin B12. People who cannot absorb B12 need regular injections. When injections first are administered, a patient with severe symptoms may receive five to seven during the first week to restore the body's reserves of this nutrient. A response usually is seen within 48 to 72 hours, with brisk production of new red blood cells. Once B12 reserves reach normal levels, injections of vitamin B12 will be needed every one to three months to prevent symptoms from returning. People who cannot absorb vitamin B12 should continue to eat a well-balanced diet that provides other nutrients (folic acid, iron and vitamin C) necessary to produce healthy blood cells. Sometimes people can take high doses of oral B12 to provide replacement instead of undergoing injections, but a physician should closely supervise this.
    In people whose vitamin B12 deficiency is related to overgrowth of intestinal bacteria, treatment with oral antibiotics, such as tetracycline (sold under several brand names) or ampicillin (Omnipen, Polycillin) may stop bacterial overgrowth and allow the absorption of vitamin B12 to return to normal.
    Vitamin B12 deficiency resulting from inadequate dietary intake is the easiest to treat. The condition can be reversed by taking oral vitamin B12 supplements and adding foods containing B12.
    When the anemia is severe and the red blood cell count is extremely low, blood transfusions may be necessary for the first couple of days until the vitamin B12 injections begin working.

I hope that this information has been helpful.
    Once again...Welcome, Take Good Care Of Yourself and know that
    You Are Not Alone!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Welcome!

I understand the fatigue - I call it fatigue to the cellular level, because it feels like nothing in your body, not even your breathing, wants to move!

Staying out of the sun has helped me a LOT this summer - AC is a wonderful thing, as are big hats (hence the moniker), long sleeves and slacks. Sunscreen under anything that you can see light through. I no longer own sandals.

Many hugs and welcome!