Thread: Swollen hands

Thanks

Default Swollen hands

Hello,
    New to this website. I am 32 and have been diagnosed with lupus since I was 21. The past 2 weeks my hands have been swollen into fists- I can't straighten my fingers out. LAsted a week on my right hand and then moved to my left hand for a week. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Nicoleslp99:
    You did not mention if you had tenderness and pain with your swelling.
    In lupus the joints often become inflamed causing pain and swelling. The joints most frequently involved in this inflammation (or arthritis) are the hand joints, the wrists and the knees, although any joint can be involved. The arthritis frequently comes and goes and affects different joints at different times. The ligaments and tendons around the joints can also become inflamed (swollen) and tender. If the inflammation is not brought under control with medication and continues for a long period of time, the tendons and ligaments can weaken. Once this happens the tendons and ligaments can no longer support the joint properly The affected joint becomes lax, or unstable, and can appear to be deformed. The hand joints are the most frequently affected by such deformities. The underlying bones themselves are not affected by the arthritis in lupus, and at least initially the deformities can be painlessly corrected by pushing the joint back into position.
    Talk to your doctor as there are other things that could cause your hands to swell. I have just given you the common reasons for the swelling in Lupus patients.
    Best Of Luck
    Saysusie

Thanks

Sounds like a symptom of nerve damage I once had. When I worked in a bicycle shop, I'd occasionally hammer a wrench with my palm. Incidently the nerves for your hand come through your wrist and are exposed at the palm. People who hammer like that can end up with stiffness, immobility, and pain which wouldn't occur right away. I'm hoping that this could be the cause of it for you, since for me it went away in a week and never came back. I did use gel padded gloves for cycling and took it very easy after that. The same kind of thing can happen also in your groin from an improperly adjusted bicycle seat too btw.