Thread: Plaquenil Alternative?

Thanks

Default Plaquenil Alternative?

I'm just curious if there are any alternative to Plaquenil. I've been taking it on and off for 5 years now. Each time I go through a flare it seems like I have to increase the dosage, so I was wondering if there is anything else that maybe I could alternate it with because it seems like it's not working as well. I'm going to the dr Monday, and I will be sure to ask him too, but I wanted to know from experienced medicine takers if there is anything else that might work as well or better.

Also, I have been reading that a lot of you guys take MTX and I'm wondering what exactly it is for and if the benefits out weigh the side effects. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Have a great weekend,

Amanda

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi amanda,

i started taking mtx about 2 months ago. I was petrified and really did some soul searching before i agreed to risk the effects. My dr. watches my blood work very carefully for any effects especially on my liver, and she says we can stop at any time if necessary. I know there are other possible effects, but i decided to give it a try.

The day after my injection really sucks....i feel bad, and just stay in bed all day. Then, wednesday i start feeling better and i enjoy several really good days. So yes, for me, the benefits outweigh the negatives, at least for now. However, if things change, i will come off immediately.

My. rheumy is talking about reducing my plaquenil if i continue to have such good results with mtx.

I just really did not want to go the steroid route, i don't respond to them very well, and so i felt mtx was not my best option.
    Phyllis

share a smile today