Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi! Did your lupus started with a big event in your life?

Thanks

Default Hi! Did your lupus started with a big event in your life?

I believe my lupus was triggered by very invasive surgery for breast cancer at the same time I lost my job (as a single mother). Sounds tragic but things were okay, even with a year of immunotherapy to clear up some Hepatitis C. During the immunotherapy, I had horrible infections and reactions. We now pretty much believe the extra reactions were due to SLE and I can track the fever, fatigue and joint pain to just after the surgery.

Did anyone else find that Lupus appeared after a major emotional or physical event?

Just curious, please excuse if I haven't been perfect in this message as am rather new to this.

Thanks

The earliest symptom I can remember is pain in my wrists which I thought was caused by repetetive stress working on a line in a factory. I still believe that it affected my wrists. I haven't been officially diagnosed though (don't like doctors).

I do have sunlight senstivity and rash from it. I have joint/ tendon pain in my feet/ ankles as well as wrists. I have high blood pressure, reynaud's phenomenon, itchy skin, slight swelling in joints, and I'm lupie in the head.

Thanks

Hi LaLondon,

Sorry to hear about your difficult time with surgery / job loss.
    I have experianced rheumatic problems since early childhood (doc said they were growing pains, makes me so mad now when i think of it ) then after a whole batch of family problems came upon me 2 years ago, my health went downhill from there. I was so ill everyday, I was soon after diagnosed. So basically in relation to your question I guess you can say stress triggered my lupus to be how it is today.

take care,

Carly

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi LaLondon;
    No one really knows what causes Lupus - Doctors and researchers know quite a bit about the changes in the bodies of lupus patients, but the cause is a mystery. Lupus seems to be triggered in unknown ways. Not everyone with a tendency toward lupus will develop the disease. Researchers think some of the triggers that set off lupus may be infections, stress, diet, and toxins, including some kinds of prescription drugs. These triggers may also help explain why lupus has a cycle of flare-ups and remissions.
    Personally, I believe that my Lupus became active (I say that because I think that I suffered symptoms, from as early as High School, before I was diagnosed in my 30's) because of a major traumatic event in my life that lasted for months and months. That even caused unrelentless stress which, in turn, activated my Lupus!!

Saysusie

Thanks

I agree with the others. I may have had somesymptoms earlier, but I think some ongoing heavy stress finally triggered or tripped the balance. I'm now larning to deal with stress better (that's a day by day thing) and learning how to live healthily (relatively) and comfortably with my condition.

Sun sensitivity is the thing I'm really learning to deal with this summer, as I'm learning more and more that it is a trigger. In fact, I have a load of long sleeved shirts in the washer right now - with Rit SunGuard. I'm interested in seeing how that will help. As it is, I wear sunscreen under the shirt sleeves, and will continue ot do that.

Welcom to the group!

Thanks

Default Thank you for your replies:)

I know that it doesn't really matter but I was so curious about the onset and timing. This board has already helped me so if SaysSusie or any of the many other people who have posted and replied are out there -- thank you VERY much.

Thanks

Default Re: Hi! Did your lupus started with a big event in your lif

Quote Originally Posted by LaLondon
    I believe my lupus was triggered by very invasive surgery for breast cancer at the same time I lost my job (as a single mother). Sounds tragic but things were okay, even with a year of immunotherapy to clear up some Hepatitis C. During the immunotherapy, I had horrible infections and reactions. We now pretty much believe the extra reactions were due to SLE and I can track the fever, fatigue and joint pain to just after the surgery.

Did anyone else find that Lupus appeared after a major emotional or physical event?

Just curious, please excuse if I haven't been perfect in this message as am rather new to this.

That is one of the known causes for an outbreak to occur... stress... or anxiety... growing up i've had extreme emotional and physical problems which all made my health very unstable, and i too heard that infamous "its all in your head"... as a 16 year old girl, you wouldn't expect that i go through stress, but my family causes all of it, so i get out of the house as often as possible... well i hope things are getting better for you

Thanks

Default Things are fine

I hear of so many stories on this bulletin board. It helps, and I am heartened that, even though the stories are much more difficult than mine, these people are sharing and growing.

I am a very pragmatic sort of person but have come to believe that it is very important to grow as much as possible through challenge.

You sound like you have had plenty in your short life. Please know that probably everyone on this forum are here to support you the same way you have come out and supported me. In spite of the difficult circumstances, my life is amazing because of my son and family and friends. Do you find the same?

I am writing this from London, where there have been quite a few bombs and deaths and injuries today. Grab what you have of life and run with it!

Love,
    The person who posts as Lalondon

PS Thank you so much for your support.

Thanks

Hello
    I noticed that when my dad died three years ago oct 8, 05, that I began to lose weight (80 lbs), had a fever, serious night sweats so bad that I had to change my sheets every day, my whole body ached all day every day, I couldn't eat any thing 'cause it would come back, I got to the place I could not walk w/o help and began having serious chest pains etc. The Drs. said that I was depressed because of the lose of my dad, but I contrary to popular belief, was very happy when daddy passed because he had been so sick the last four years of his life. Strangely enough, the same symptoms I had, my dad had over his last years and I firmly believe that my dad had lupus and it just hadn't been diagnosed before he passed. So I do believe that tramatic things or stress causes lupus to flare up.
    I have heard people talk about remission but for 3 years the disease has been raging but I have gotten a handle on it. Take care of yourself and don't live your life based on what the experts say because they are looking at your situation from the outside but you have to do what's best for you. :rainbow1:
    Blessed in VA

Thanks

Curious here...as a family nudist (aanr.com) I have not yet experienced sun sensitivity. What are the symtoms of sun sensitivity?

Shirley