Thread: kidney biopsy

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default kidney biopsy

Has anyone had a kidney biopsy? I'm scheduled to have on next week and I'm a little bit scared of the procedure and what the diagnosis might be. Does this mean my kidneys are failing or i have kidney diease?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Seminole65 :lol:
    Generally, with Lupus patients, kidney biopsies are done to determine if you have lupus nephritis. Lupus nephritis (or lupus glomerulonephritis) is the medical term for the kidney disease which occurs in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). It is estimated that about a third of patients with lupus will develop nephritis which requires medical evaluation and treatment. Lupus nephritis is an important and potentially serious symptom of lupus.
    There are very few signs or symptoms of lupus nephritis. It does not produce pain in the abdomen or back, nor does it cause pain or burning during urination. The loss of protein in the urine from lupus nephritis may lead to fluid retention with weight gain and swelling (edema). This may result in puffiness in the legs, ankles and/or fingers. This puffiness is often the first symptom of lupus nephritis that most patients note.
    Often, findings of lupus nephritis are evident only in urine studies. In many patients, the urine abnormalities are very mild and may be present on one examination and absent the next. This form of lupus nephritis is rather common and generally does not require any special medical evaluation or treatment. However, in some patients, the abnormal findings on urine studies persist or may even worsen over time. Patients with this type of lupus nephritis are at risk for loss of kidney function. They may require additional studies to evaluate the extent of their lupus nephritis and to determine the best treatment approach to control their disease.

Not all kidney problems in patients with lupus are due to lupus nephritis. For instance, infections of the urinary tract with burning on urination are quite common in lupus patients and require antibiotic treatment. Similarly, medications used in lupus treatment may produce signs or symptoms of kidney disease that can be confused with lupus nephritis. Salicylate compounds (e.g., aspirin), or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) are the most common type of medications used by lupus patients that can produce kidney problems. These drugs can cause loss of kidney function or fluid retention. These problems usually fade when the medications are discontinued.
    Prior to performing a kidney biopsy, most doctors will first do several studies to evaluate Lupus Nephritis. Those studies generally include:
    1) Urinalysis
    2) Blood Studies
    3) 24-Hour Urine Collection
    4) X-ray Studies
    In patients with evidence of lupus nephritis as determined by urine or blood studies, a kidney biopsy may be performed. The biopsy is done to confirm the diagnosis of lupus nephritis, and to determine the extent and severity of kidney disease. A kidney biopsy requires hospitalization of the patient. The biopsy is most commonly done by inserting a needle through the skin of the back and removing a small piece of the kidney. On rare occasions, a kidney biopsy may need to be done surgically in the operating room.
    The specimen of the kidney obtained by the biopsy is examined under a microscope to determine how much inflammation or permanent damage (scarring) is present within the kidney. These findings are used to classify the type of lupus nephritis present. The four most common types of nephritis are mesangial nephritis, focal or diffuse proliferative nephritis, and membranous nephritis. Knowledge of the type of lupus nephritis is helpful in deciding on the best approach to drug treatment.

I hope that I have answered some of your questions. Please let me know if you need more information.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default biopsy

Hi, I've had two biopsies, and rest assures it does not mean that u having a renal failure.

The procedure took just about 10 mins, and although i had to be hospitilized for a day and had to be in bed for a day more it was a piece of cake.

p.s My first one was at about 17, the second one i think 2 years later.

Let me know how it went