Thread: Good idea/bad idea

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Good idea/bad idea

OK, so I need help making a decision. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I don't like it.
    I am signed up to become a ROPES facilitator next year for my district. In order to do that, I need to take training this summer (if you don't know what it entails, you can do a google search for "ropes course"-there are even videos).
    I will be outside for 8 hours a day for training. It will be from 8-4 everyday. Some of it will be in a wooded area, others will not be. I should have access to water at most times. This goes on for 3 weeks, I have 3 days of training each week. Then, of course, there will be the field trips with the classes during the year. That will be during a cooler time of year, though.
    The trainer is requiring my rheum. to write a note allowing me to participate since my diagnosis. That prompted me to ask myself, "Self, is this a good idea?".
    So, what do you all think? I can wear sunblock, a hat, all that stuff. I really, really want to do it. But, not if it's going to put me at risk of anything crazy bad happening to me.
    I'm working out with P90x right now and modifying when necessary (like on plyometrics-can't do that many jumps-it hurts my knees and hips).
    Am I crazy? I've only known about my Lupus for a week, I don't want to give up everything I love and want to do because of it. Giving up ROPES would be giving up something I've been looking forward to for a while. But, if it's in the interest of my health, I'll do it.
    Thanks in advance for your expertise and guidance.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Me personally say...if you feel you can do it....do it! You can wear sunblock...cover up...do you think you will have enough energy to do this you think? If yes....do it.
    Now im no expert in Lupus...so wait to see others posts.But if you feel up for it.....why not...something you are so looking forward too....sounds fab to me! Now the rheumi letter.....not sure what he may write....could say yes its ok...or if you are struggling....may so no. Difficult one.But if you feel you can do this...and your doc thinks so...he will say yes. This is my oppion only... wait for other members to post.Goodluck.xxxxxxxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Go enjoy when you can....don't let Lupus hold you back just because you have the disease.

Take rests, sleep....ensure you don't burn the candle at both ends...listen to your body throughout the day. Replenish so you can enjoy tomorrow...

Keep reapplying your sunblock...wear clothes in layers. There is Ritz a product you can treat your clothes with in the wash to become sunblockers...clothes off that rack that are sunblockers...Coolibar clothes.

Ensure you take your medicines on schedule....eat healthy..

And most of all...enjoy it!

Having lupus doesn't mean we can't live...we just have to be precautious, look after ourselves today so we can have better tomorrows...

Hugging you.
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Enjoy what you can. your body will tell you if you can't do it anymore, but you have to try.

we can't allow lupus to rule our lives, just eat good, rest, stay hydrated and take your meds.

if it gets too hard than quit but you won't know unless you try.

good luck

Blog Entries
    Thanks

i think it's a great idea. like everyone said, you know what your body is capable of. stay active as long as you can.

what area are you from? i went to ROPES many times when i was in school...i'm in sugar land, TX now but i went to school in the cy-fair isd.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.

Thanks

Thanks for your replies! Now my fingers are crossed that I can get my doc to sign off for me to go!
    Micromedic-I teach in Cy-fair! Small world, huh? We have two ropes courses here (or so I've been told). I've never been, but my sister has. I'm a music teacher and our PE teachers needed an extra person for next year. It's too much to have both of them gone at once. So, I'm the other faculty member from our school to go. It's nice because I get a day off from the norm and because it is always so much fun.
    Thanks again for your replies. I'm hoping to convince the facilitator that I can do this.

Thanks

Smile

That's the attitude...keep it positive and moving forward.

Good luck...hope it goes well and you have a ton of fun!

Hugs,

Lori

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shepherdgirl View Post
    Thanks for your replies! Now my fingers are crossed that I can get my doc to sign off for me to go!
    Micromedic-I teach in Cy-fair! Small world, huh? We have two ropes courses here (or so I've been told). I've never been, but my sister has. I'm a music teacher and our PE teachers needed an extra person for next year. It's too much to have both of them gone at once. So, I'm the other faculty member from our school to go. It's nice because I get a day off from the norm and because it is always so much fun.
    Thanks again for your replies. I'm hoping to convince the facilitator that I can do this.
    wow it is a small world. i went to jowell, thornton, then cy-springs. c/o '04. anyway, i loved ropes, it really taught teamwork, even to those that you wouldn't think could learn. anyway, don't stretch yourself too far, stress can be a trigger to flares. have a great day!

p.s. maybe we should have coffee or something one day, it'd be great to be around someone else who knows what i'm going through.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.

Thanks

So my rheum. said absolutely not to the ROPES thing. He even told me that it will be questionable about me going to the zoo with my daughter this summer. That was coming through the nurse, though, so I'll talk with him at my appt Wednesday to find out for sure.
    I'm irritated, angry and upset. I really don't want Lupus to keep me from doing things I want to do. Yet, it seems like this will be the first of many. I have no choice. I'll never get the dr's note-he won't sign/write it. The facilitator for ropes found out that I had Lupus originally from my principal. This was kind of inevitable. *sigh*
    Thanks for your help, though.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Shepherdgirl,

I've been reading about your attempts to be a ROPES Facilitator. It's very much like the confidence/teamwork courses we had in the Army, minus the explosions, machinegun fire, and screaming Drill Sgt. of course!

You know, I think if you believe you can do this, then you should pursue the issue further. I would have a heart to heart talk with your rheumo, and explain to him/her that you realize Lupus is going to make you have to learn your new limitations, but you cannot learn this by not trying. Yes, physically demanding activity like this could be bad for your health, and it could bring on a nasty flare. But it might also be well within your capabilities despite Lupus. Every case of this disease is as individual as the person who has it.

Tell your rheumo that if he'll sign off and let you do this, that you will promise him you will drop out of the course at the first sign of a possible flare. The rheumo should allow you to try, you're capable of making your own decisions as to what you can, and cannot handle, and the rheumo should support you on this.

I wonder what your rheumo would say to me-I have very active Systemic Lupus, and on top of that, I have Multiple Sclerosis. The rheumo would probably have a cow if he/she knew that I go out sailing and/or kayaking on my good days. I learned by trying that those are two activities that are within the limitations imposed upon me by lupus and MS. I have to be very careful, and stick to what I call "sun discipline", that means sticking to any and all shade at all times, and slopping on the spf 100 sun block. I can't do these activities every day, but on my good days it's no problem as long as I'm very careful.

Anyway, I hope you can find a way to be able to do this-it looks like a whole lot of fun.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 05-19-2009 at 02:11 AM.