Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoking and Lupus

Thanks

Default Smoking and Lupus

Smoking and Lupus: A Double Whammy by Patricia S. Leisy (I condensed)
    Lupus by itself can pack a powerful punch and may cause a variety of ill effects on one's health and well being. Most people with lupus ask,
    "Is there anything I can do to improve my health and chances for a long life? Is there any special diet or exercise? Anything I should avoid?"

Any small benefit gleaned from cigarette smoking is far outweighed by tobacco's negative effects. The following list pairs what we know about lupus with the known effects of smoking.

1. People with lupus are more susceptible to infections, with respiratory infections among the most common.
      • Smoking cigarettes increases the risk of pneumococcal pneumonia and chronic bronchitis. Researchers report that passive smoking, or regular exposure to secondhand smoke, also raises the risk of having this type of pneumonia. New England Journal of Medicine 2000 Mar 9; 342(10):681-9
      • Smoking or hanging around others who do may increase your risk of pneumococcal pneumonia.

2. People with lupus on long-term moderate (11-40mg/day) to high (41-100mg/day) doses of prednisone have been found to develop heart disease (atherosclerosis) 20 to 30 years earlier than the general population. It's not uncommon for angina (heart muscle pain ) and even heart attacks to occur in lupus patients as young as 30 or 40 years of age.
      • Smoking increases the risk of coronary artery disease.
      • If you smoke and have lupus you greatly increase the risk of damaging your heart.

3. Lupus can affect the blood vessels and circulation in a variety of ways. Raynaud's disease is common in people with lupus and when active, results in poor circulation to the hands and feet. Lupus vasculitis can cause narrowing of blood vessels and reduced blood flow to tissues and organs. Antiphospholipid antibodies may increase the risk of serious blood clots and stroke.
      • Smoking narrows blood vessels and worsens peripheral vascular disease (poor blood supply).
      • Smoking contributes to blood vessel spasms and can magnify the effect of Raynaud's making a mild case worse, and could result in severe damage to fingers and toes.
      • Smoking increases the risk of stroke.

4. Kidney disease in lupus can result in hypertension.
      • A study at Stanford University of patients with lupus nephritis found that those who smoked progressed to end stage kidney disease far more quickly than did non-smokers (145 months vs. 273 months). Archives of Internal Medicine 1992 Oct; 152(10): 2082-8
      • Smoking contributes to elevated blood pressure which increases the risk of stroke and worsening kidney disease.

5. People with lupus can also develop diabetes and thereby be prone to poor wound healing.
      • Smoking slows wound healing.
      • Smoking increases the risk of heart attack in diabetics (insulin or non-insulin dependent).

6. Avascular necrosis of bone can develop in lupus and may require surgery.
      • Smoking slows recovery from illness and surgery.
      • Smoking slows bone healing.

7. Heartburn is found in 10 to fifty percent of people with lupus.
      • Smoking has harmful effects on all parts of the digestive system, contributing to such common disorders as heartburn. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease - Smoking and Your Digestive System.

8. Many of the medications used to alleviate symptoms of lupus are broken down by the liver. Lupus can affect the liver.
      • Smoking affects the liver, too, by changing the way it metabolizes drugs and alcohol. In some cases, this may influence the dose of medication necessary to treat an illness.

9. Lupus can cause skin disease, which may be effectively treated with antimalarial medications.
      • Smoking has been shown to interfere with the benefits of hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil), chloroquine (Aralen), and quinacrine (Atabrine) for the skin disease of patients with SLE. Journal of Rheumatology 1998; 25:1716-1719
      • A study at the University of Minnesota of patients with discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) found that smoking was more prevalent in people with DLE compared to those with other skin diseases and those in the general population. The researchers proposed that smoking may be a risk factor for development of DLE. Cutis 1999 Apr; 63(4):231-4)
      • Studies conducted at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine have found lupus skin disease is more active in smokers than non-smokers. The Lupus Book 2000; 187

10. Lupus can cause hair loss and other skin symptoms.
      • Smoking has been associated with skin diseases and studies in mice indicate a link may exist between smoking and both hair loss and premature gray hair. Toxicology Letters 2000 Apr 3;114(1-3):117-123

11. Medications used in the treatment of lupus: prednisone, excessive thyroid hormones, anticonvulsants, antacids containing aluminum, and heparin increase the risk for fragile bones or osteoporosis.
      • Smoking magnifies the risk for osteoporosis.

It is clear that smoking complicates and accelerates the ill effects of lupus. We also know that most of the negative effects are reversible when smoking stops.

More than any other lifestyle choice you make, quitting cigarettes will have the greatest positive impact on your lupus.

Most smokers would prefer to quit. In fact, in a recent study, 65 percent of older smokers said that they would like to stop. What keeps them from quitting? They are afraid of being irritable, nervous, and tense. Others are concerned about cravings for cigarettes. Most don't want to gain weight. Many think it's too late to quit--that quitting after so many years of smoking will not help. But this is not true."
    There's no other lifestyle choice you can make that will have more of an impact on your health than the decision not to smoke. For tips on quitting see the Center for Disease Control's (CDC) web site: How to Quit Smoking.

Lupus.org....

Besides impairing circulation and worsening symptoms of Raynaud’s syndrome, tobacco smoke contains hydrazine, a chemical that causes flares of cutaneous lupus.

Now, if you smoke, you are more likely to get the worst kind of skin lupusdiscoid lupus. Also, plaquenil doesn't work very well. So, don't smoke. It's bad for your lupus. Set a day and quit!
    Last edited by Oluwa; 05-19-2009 at 12:46 PM.
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

I've smoked for 28 years and have had no smoke rings about my head, for almost 7 years....Yeah!

Cold turkey. Gobble, gobble
    Love,
    Oluwa

Thanks

Oh Oluwa, youre so GREAT and so HELPFUL! I dont smoke but thats good information for people to know who do!!! Its a double whamy is right!!! Why push this disease further along that much sooner! I say do what is right by your body!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Blog Entries
    Thanks

**Reads as i roll my golden virginia rolly....and sparks up**

Interesting read Oluwa,

had asthama as a child, but went when i left school! never had an other problems with smoking, ppl often say to me why dont you give up?!.......but i dont want to i like smoking,

anyway cheers

ISDM
    xxx
    **The next or $ raised WILL be the cure for LUPUS**

☺☻If YoU gOt OcD aNd YoU kNoW iT....wAsH yA hAnDs☺☻

..♪♫**.❤.**☆.。.*✿♪♫**.❤.**☆.。 .*✿

Thanks

Enjoy....just information for future use.

Love,
    Oluwa

Thanks

I was dx with this wonderful disease 2.5 yrs ago. I stopped smoking 3yrs ago. I have been wondering if the smoking kept my immune system supressed some. An employee of mine is married to someoen that was dx with Lupus also. She did not get the symptoms till after she had quit smoking for like 4-6 months. Makes me want to start back up!

However, my wife said that she would then kill me. I think that it would be a slower and more painful death by her!!!

Just food for thought, that is if anyone is hungry.
    Money cannot buy you happiness but it can buy you a big enough boat to allow you to pull up along side it!!! - David Lee Roth

Thanks

Just found this from the John Hopkins Center...

Now, if you smoke, you are more likely to get the worst kind of skin lupusdiscoid lupus. Also, plaquenil doesn't work very well. So, don't smoke. It's bad for your lupus. Set a day and quit!

Thanks

Default Glad I never started

Interesting reading, makes me glad i never started. My mother died from emphasema(sp?), I swore I'd never start. Respiratory problems run on my mothers side of the family. Thanks for reinforcing my decision to never start.
    46 year old mother of two diagnosed with SLE 2 yrs ago.
    Meds: Plaquinil, azathrioprine, cymbalta, water pill, folic acid, low dose asprin, and a medication to help me sleep.

Thanks

Nothing good comes from smoking except probably instant gratification.

Jeanette, thank you for the compliment and you're welcome Mary Jane...hugs.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oluwa;
    Excellent information (as always). Now, I am glad that I never started smoking . I'm going to leave this thread for a bit longer, then I am gong to make it a sticky! Thanx again for the great info!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!